Page 7 of 13 [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 1:57 am

Brictoria wrote:

I agree with this (the lack of any supporting evidence for claims of it being a "racist" event has been the point I have mentioned several times)...It is possible that there was racism involved, but as yet, and specifically at the time the claims were made, no evidence has been produced to support this assertion.

The point I am trying to make (however imperfectly) is that both targetting a person because of their race (which is what is being insinuated as the cause of this altercation) and making claims about a persons actions simply due to their race (or that of another person involved) with no evidence to support the claims are examples of racism: In both, the racist is demonstrating a prejudice (either for or against) one person because of their race, over others of a different race. It doesn't matter if the person shares a similar race to those who they accuse of racism, the act of ascribing an intent, with no supporting evidence at the time of the claim, simply because of the race of a person (or persons) involved, is a racist act. In both cases, the racist is demonstrating their belief that race accounts for differences in human character, and as such that a person's actions are a result of their race (or that of others) rather than any conscious choice\decision on that person's part.

Were you a solicitor/lawyer in a previous life? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 1:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Perhaps the people evaluating the incident have more information than in the video. You are assuming that the video is the only evidence. It is just the news story. Racism does not need to be explicit to be racist.

When you are trying defend "deplorables" you take whatever you can get.

Mate, I think you need a man-hug.

{{{{cyberdad"}}}}

:mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 2:07 am

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
So critical thinking now means change your mind and accept false facts?

No it means being forced to entertain naysayers who want to defend deplorable acts e.g. Karens aren't racist

Some people look at a situation forensically.
I don't have Brictoria's energy, but I do it too.
People shouldn't be accused of something simply for being thorough.

Many people jump to conclusions because it is easy-peasy.
It is difficult to resist this tendency, agreed.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 2:39 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

I agree with this (the lack of any supporting evidence for claims of it being a "racist" event has been the point I have mentioned several times)...It is possible that there was racism involved, but as yet, and specifically at the time the claims were made, no evidence has been produced to support this assertion.

The point I am trying to make (however imperfectly) is that both targetting a person because of their race (which is what is being insinuated as the cause of this altercation) and making claims about a persons actions simply due to their race (or that of another person involved) with no evidence to support the claims are examples of racism: In both, the racist is demonstrating a prejudice (either for or against) one person because of their race, over others of a different race. It doesn't matter if the person shares a similar race to those who they accuse of racism, the act of ascribing an intent, with no supporting evidence at the time of the claim, simply because of the race of a person (or persons) involved, is a racist act. In both cases, the racist is demonstrating their belief that race accounts for differences in human character, and as such that a person's actions are a result of their race (or that of others) rather than any conscious choice\decision on that person's part.

Were you a solicitor/lawyer in a previous life? :mrgreen:

Nope - One of my father's friends (a now-retired magistrate) suggested I should go into law many years ago because of my good memory (at least for things of interest) and at times I do wish I'd headed down that line given that recently legal issues have become an area of interest - a background in security, where knowledge of appropriate laws is a requirement, also helps, and is the only legal training I have.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 3:37 am

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

No it means being forced to entertain naysayers who want to defend deplorable acts e.g. Karens aren't racist

Well no one is forcing us to engage with them and we can just let them talk and they get crickets. They will get so bored talking to themselves.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 4:25 am

Yep that's true...there is no obligation

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 7:17 pm

Dear League Girl,
I had no idea that there were people who believe that Anne Frank’s Diary was a fake!!
You can tour the house, there are pictures of her family....how can someone think like that??

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 8:39 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Perhaps the people evaluating the incident have more information than in the video. You are assuming that the video is the only evidence. It is just the news story. Racism does not need to be explicit to be racist.

When you are trying defend "deplorables" you take whatever you can get.

Mate, I think you need a man-hug.

{{{{cyberdad"}}}}

:mrgreen:

Hugs back :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 5:03 am

Woman Who Falsely Accused Black Teen of Stealing Phone at NYC Hotel Is Arrested

Quote:
The woman who was seen on video falsely accusing acclaimed jazz musician Keyon Herrold's son of stealing her phone in a New York City hotel last month has been arrested outside of Los Angeles, police said.

Miya Ponsetto was put into custody Thursday evening by Ventura County Sheriff deputies. It was not immediately clear what charges the 22-year-old would be facing. The arrest was made by the Ventura County Sheriffs' office in coordination with NYPD detectives, who arrived Thursday morning to assist.

A spokesperson for Ventura County Sheriff says deputies contacted Ponsetto at a traffic stop, but she did not stop until she reached her home. They also said she was uncooperative, resisted arrest, refused to get out the car and tried to slam the car door on one of the deputies as they forcibly removed her from the vehicle.

She was being held without bail for the fugitive assault warrant in New York. It was not clear when Ponsetto would be extradited to New York and charged here for last month's altercation, a senior NYPD official said.

In a new interview Thursday with NBC LA, Ponsetto's attorney, Sharen Ghatan, confirmed that Ponsetto wasn't a guest at the Arlo Hotel on Dec. 26, 2020. She had stayed there after arriving in NYC last month to visit her father, checked out, and was hanging out in the lobby with the intention of checking in again. Ponsetto had all of her items out in the lobby and she briefly left to retrieve something from Starbucks she left in the restroom.

When she returned, Ponsetto thought her phone was missing. Ghatan said Ponsetto had asked several people who were in whether they had taken her phone before she told management that her phone is missing.

"She actually asks several other people including an Asian gentleman who was leaving the hotel 'did you see my phone?' And he says no," Ghatan said Thursday. The next people she asked were the Harrolds, who had just come out of the elevator. That's when she went to hotel management to report that her phone was missing and the confrontation escalated.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 5:43 am

League_Girl wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Well no one is forcing us to engage with them and we can just let them talk and they get crickets. They will get so bored talking to themselves.

When I first came here, I was virtually ignored.
7.5 years on, and I'm still going strong. 8)

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 3:47 pm

She has, at the very least, anger issues.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 9:49 pm

Sylkat wrote:

I don't know that the underlying issue she has is anger related (at least in this case). She seemed more distraught at not having her mobile telephone and desperate to find it, rather than "angry" that someone else may have had it, at one point seeming to imply that she "needed" it, or "couldn't live without it" based on the footage available (from memory) - I seem to recall she was asking to see the phone the child had, not demanding he give it to her (a semantic difference maybe, but the words used can give an insight into her thinking\motives at the time, when she had less control over her emotions).

What the reason for her attachment to the device is, there are no details - Maybe it contains something personal such as photographs\messages\contact details for someone (not everyone backs things up to the "cloud"), maybe she was expecting an important call\message (medical results, news of an ill friend\family member\pet, something related to her job or a job she was applying for at the time), maybe it had sentimental value due to being a gift from someone, or maybe she is just one of those people who live their lives through their phone...We don't have the information available to know.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 10:05 pm

Sylkat wrote:

Her lawyers are currently using that very defence to deflect the race stuff. My guess is she will cry a lot and bat her eyelids and be let off by a court with a warning unless the victims of her rage take it further, especially given the son is experiencing the symptoms of PTSD.

It's because of the assault she has been arrested yesterday,
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/nyre ... rrold.html

The Harold's lawyers are making the case she racially profiled them in singling them out.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 10:12 pm

Sylkat wrote:

Arising from alcohol abuse. 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 10:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Sylkat wrote:

Her lawyers are currently using that very defence to deflect the race stuff. My guess is she will cry a lot and bat her eyelids and be let off by a court with a warning unless the victims of her rage take it further, especially given the son is experiencing the symptoms of PTSD.

It's because of the assault she has been arrested yesterday,
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/nyre ... rrold.html

The Harold's lawyers are making the case she racially profiled them in singling them out.

I just hope the politics stays out of it and justice prevails. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 10:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:
In keeping with the policy to out racists who are trying to hide their identity here's the little daring

Her name is Miya Ponsetto. She got caught being a racist.

She is too pretty to be a racist. JOKE!! !! !! !! :mrgreen: