Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 8:17 am

Quote:
Oh and he's supposed to be an 'early favourite' so I think he might be on tomorrow.

I know its REALLY sad, but I can't wait until 7:00 :lol: ! Hope he is on today!

SilverPikmin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2009, 2:15 pm

The program's started now.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 7:28 am

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 7:38 am

Actually, there are a few videos that you can listen to... once you've heard "streets of London", click on the videos underneath to hear other songs... I'm listening to "bring him home", which he sings exquisitly.

And now I'm listening to "you lift me up", which he's obviously singing to an audience.

It seems that music has helped him find his confidence.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 7:40 am

imo this is demeaning as it inpmies... oh look... people with AS can be good at somthing.... :roll: ... then it will be over and he will be yesterdays news

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 7:52 am

I know that is how the rest of the world will see it... "oh, look, the freak can sing..." But it has to be said, he has a remarkable voice, and I'd like to listen to him even if he weren't an aspie. The fact that he's not ashamed to admit he's aspie inspires me on a personal level, and I do wish him the best.

Just heard him singing a cover of a Kate Bush song (not one I'm particularly fond of) and his vocal gymnastics are amazing.

If he does end up "forgotten" by the public, he'll still have his musical gift. I for one am glad that it's being recognised, even if the public are cretins. I also hope he proves Louis wrong, and doesn't break down under the stress.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 8:59 am

i agree with you

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2009, 4:06 am

X-Factor is partly a singing contest but primarily it is an entertainment show for the public. There is a pre-audition stage before the ones you get to see on TV which is not in front of the main panel, and they let some really dreadful singers through on purpose - either that or they purposely get some people they know can't sing to appear in front of the panel to make it look more fun.

I've been to karaoke enough in my time. Most people can sing moderately well and hold a tune but are not great singers. You don't get those "typical" people usually on the X-factor (or American Idol, or Britain or America's got talent or any other country's equivalent show).

The contestants on the show can benefit from being on it but their careers are likely to be "controlled". The aspies that have made it in music, eg Gary Numan and Ladyhawke, did not go down that path. Gary Numan recorded his own music, had a couple of major number one hits, then a few top 10 hits and then continued to record for a smaller fanbase. That he was "slightly weird" didn't really matter - after all most of us don't get to meet them anyway and with Gary's style of music, a weird personality behind it didn't seem out of place anyway. Rather than do the usual "celebrity" thing of hanging around in night-clubs, Gary preferred to get his pilots licence. (Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden also has a pilots licence, by the way).
Gary Numan believes that music is there for everyone to use (as long as you pay for it) and didn't mind when his tune was sampled on the Sugababes "Freak Like Me". (I guess he got paid royalties for its use).