News: Hyperspace Engine mite be possible

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 6:11 pm

Any one find this idea of hyperspace within our time interesting? Im not holding my breath for the theory to work as its based on physics that is not the generally accepted theory. But if it stands up to physisis questioning it and gets a test. The potential of what this could mean to use if it works.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...25331.200.html

http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=16902006

JediofRohan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2006, 6:30 pm

seems like NASA is running out of ideas, and they're turning to movies like Star Wars for ideas. Besides, we don't have this kind of technology yet.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 6:55 pm

Actually, Hyperspace is BROADLY accepted by science fiction writers. They all give it unique names, of course.

Larry Nivern never did give it a name, but an Alderson drive is used to get into it.
Star trek called it Sub space.
HALO knows it as Slip Space.

I personally call it a hyper warp tramline. But thats more because I've merged what sci fi considers the standard model hyperdrive - Go anywhere, as long as you have the engine, with the Alderson drive Nivern suggested - Go between places, but only along specific routes.

It sort of works as both for me XD - In a star system, you can go almost anywhere within the system because of the internal "tramlines" for the engine to use. But between stars, tramlines are rarer. Its like a train system really...

But thats just my opinion.

IgorStop
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2006, 6:56 pm

Yes I read this article in the New Scientist recently. If this guys theory is being taken seriously enough to be peer reviewed there could be something in it. If it worked that would turn everything on its head.

I have read sci-fi practically since I could read, and hyperdrives are a magic button to shoot you around the galaxy - basically a plot device so that your heroes don't have to spend thousands of years in hypersleep - as a mature and hopefully scientifically literate person I would have said that faster than light speeds would not be possible, but I know enough to know I don't know enough to judge.

Maybe we Aspergians will be able to get the hell off this planet after all.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 7:25 pm

JediofRohan wrote:
seems like NASA is running out of ideas, and they're turning to movies like Star Wars for ideas. Besides, we don't have this kind of technology yet.

NASA running out of ideas? NASA isn't the only people involved in this. Alot of people are interested in this because the theory it is based on can discribe some things like atomic mass of atoms more accurately than the current models can. This theory is not new either it has been around since the 1960s and the person who designed and worked on the Saturn V rockets asked if it was worth building such big machines. Or though I am not such if any of this will work I will guess that it won't for now. But this is not pure science fiction or else New Scientist wouldn't of bothered publishing it I read New Scientist alot and most of what they put are based on valid theorys or real science they don't post things unless they genuinely think it has a chance to work.

So this is not just science fiction. But if the theory it is based on gets proved wrong then this idea doesn't work. Just I wouldn't be calling it science fiction yet or NASA running out of ideas.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 12:32 am

Ahhh mofo. Its been moved.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 5:28 am

There're some interesting discussion regarding this on specifically science-oriented forums:

http://forum.physorg.com/index.php?act= ... entry60259
http://physicsforums.com/showthread.php ... post883762

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2006, 9:20 am

IgorStop wrote:
Maybe we Aspergians will be able to get the hell off this planet after all.

Or just get rid of the most annoying and inconsiderate NTs?

Comkeen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2006, 9:57 pm

This is awesome, but just a quick FYI. We've known for at least 60 years that light is not the universal speed limit, and Quantom Theory proves it. There is this thing called "spooky action from a distance" (coined by Einstein) which explains how the actions of one electron affects another, simaltaneously. Quantom computers are based off this principle.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 2:11 pm

It will be nice to see maybe one day the capability, to go to other planets an or other stars one day.