John Travolta finally admits his son Jett was autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 12:13 am

John Travolta finally revealed in a Bahamian courtroom what he was never able to say publicly when his son, Jett, was alive.

"He was autistic," Travolta told the court during the extortion trial. "He suffered from a seizure disorder."
Travolta said Jett suffered seizures every five to 10 days and that each seizure lasted around 45 seconds. Jett would often sleep for 12 hours after an episode.

Earlier today, the actor described the events on Jan. 2, the day of his son’s death.

Jett's nanny awakened Travolta and Kelly Preston at roughly 10:15 a.m., the actor said, telling them Jett was unconscious in his bathroom.

One of Jett’s caretakers was already performing chest compressions. Travolta began administering CPR to his son, whom he also acknowledged on the stand had not only Kawasaki disease but also autism.
The trial concerns extortion charges against Pleasant Bridgewater, a former senator, and Tarino Lightbourne, an ambulance driver, who are alleged to have attempted to extort $25 million from Travolta in connection with his son's death.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedish ... -hard.html

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 1:13 am

I should also be noted that John's brother Joey Travolta is active in helping people with autism, he founded Actors for Autism a few years ago. They run summer camps and acting classes for autistic people. He also produced a documentary about autism - Normal People Scare Me. His interview was published in WP a few years ago. So, I find it odd that John didn't acknowledge his son's (Jett's) autism before now, given that his brother was so knowledgeable about the condition.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/article328.html

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 3:31 am

I think the reason for the lack of acknowledgment by John of Jett's autism it is to do with Scientology's views on mental illness

EC
Toucan
Toucan

24 Sep 2009, 6:06 am

tweety_fan wrote:
I think the reason for the lack of acknowledgment by John of Jett's autism it is to do with Scientology's views on mental illness

And I'll just elaborate a bit here - According to Scientology, mental illnesses are not real in the sense that they're caused by the person themself -- They believe that all illnesses are psychosomatic. So with enough Scientology conditioning, you will never be sick again. In fact, within Scientology, people who become ill are labeled as "PTS", meaning "potential trouble-source", and they will be ruthlessly interrogated for hours on end, these sessions are called "sec-checks", and their goal is to try to figure out what the problem is; is it themselves or is it someone else who is "suppressive" to them, hence making them sick? Bear in mind we're not talking infection here, just social interaction with people that inherit social traits that Scientology doesn't appreciate. So in a nutshell: Either you are to blame for not following Scientology, or someone else is, and Scientology has strict rules that Scientologists should "disconnect" from people who are "suppressives" or "SP's" in Scientology code-speak. And of course suppressive can mean anything from critical of the church, to the person just being a psychologist, whom Scientology believe created and orchestrated the holocaust. The real reason though is because psychiatrists are shown as evil in the Scientology creation story but I won't get into that.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 6:56 am

EC wrote:
tweety_fan wrote:

And I'll just elaborate a bit here - According to Scientology, mental illnesses are not real in the sense that they're caused by the person themself -- They believe that all illnesses are psychosomatic. So with enough Scientology conditioning, you will never be sick again. In fact, within Scientology, people who become ill are labeled as "PTS", meaning "potential trouble-source", and they will be ruthlessly interrogated for hours on end, these sessions are called "sec-checks", and their goal is to try to figure out what the problem is; is it themselves or is it someone else who is "suppressive" to them, hence making them sick? Bear in mind we're not talking infection here, just social interaction with people that inherit social traits that Scientology doesn't appreciate. So in a nutshell: Either you are to blame for not following Scientology, or someone else is, and Scientology has strict rules that Scientologists should "disconnect" from people who are "suppressives" or "SP's" in Scientology code-speak. And of course suppressive can mean anything from critical of the church, to the person just being a psychologist, whom Scientology believe created and orchestrated the holocaust. The real reason though is because psychiatrists are shown as evil in the Scientology creation story but I won't get into that.

Given all that I can see why his parents would be in such denial. If they had said out loud "Jett has autism", Jett would have been subjected to endless interrogations that would make 40 hours a week of "look me in the eye" ABA seem like a picnic. Or they could have said "Jett has autism and we're not Scientologists anymore" which would have solved that problem. But religion does funny things to peoples' heads.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 3:26 am

that it does.

RIP Jett.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 1:50 pm

I think John Travota felt that telling the world would have hurt his sons ability to find employment, ect, ect, ect.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 5:15 pm

They have always keep both the kids out of the spot light. I think it was to keep Jet from being used as a poster child for anything. From the pictures and the stories I've seen he was much loved child. He wasn't pushed out in the puplic eye , he wasn't used to sell books or raise money. I repect his parents for this.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 5:08 pm

I can recall hearing about this due to the fact, there has been a story in the news lately regarding how someone tried to extort money from Mr. Travolta and trying to use his son's death as part of that..Well, I do think Jet was autistic and possibly had other medical conditions which, possibly lead to his death as, it was stated he had problems with seizures and so forth..Anyways, I'm glad to see Mr. Travolta being honest about this subject as, I also recall Chris Carter the creator of X-Files, his son is autistic as well..

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 4:34 pm

I think maybe another reason could be is that parents don't want to admit it (no matter what their "religion") because they worry that they caused it. Is it because of vaccines? But... they gave him the vaccines. So that makes it their fault. Is it genetic? But... they contributed his genes. So then it's their fault. Pre-natal environment? Well then it's their fault.