Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 12:08 am

Mother hid baby's body after secret pregnancy

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 9:17 am

Eww.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 3:36 pm

I might come across as insensitive for this, but if the pregnancy was only going to give her hardships, couldn't she have just gotten an abortion at the beginning of her pregnancy? That way she wouldn't have to worry about hiding her pregnancy; and she wouldn't have to think about how she might get rid of the baby because she had already legally done so nine months ago.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 3:53 pm

maybe if christians approved abortion rights, this could have been avoided. giving the scene, certainly you can agree that aborting the baby is better than leaving it to die in the shed.

dont complain to me about well she should have put it up for adoption. clearly this woman didnt think this thru at all and didnt want the kid, to the point of leaving it for dead so were sticking with the dead options

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 5:27 pm

This is what no-questions-asked drop off policies, where a child can be left at a hospital or other designated location, are designed to prevent. Some localities have those laws, and I've heard they work well (although one does have to remember to put an upper age limit on it).

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 5:28 pm

not every state has that

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:56 am

bully_on_speed wrote:
maybe if christians approved abortion rights, this could have been avoided. giving the scene, certainly you can agree that aborting the baby is better than leaving it to die in the shed.

You cannot blame Christians for this. All she had to do was front up for an abortion early in the pregnancy and claim her mental and emotional health would be jeopardized by carrying the pregnancy to term and she would have had access to a state sponsored abortion.

So far as I know, there is currently no evidence that she left the child to die. The mother's claims indicate the child was either born dead or died shortly after death. She claims to have spent four days in bed with the body trying to warm it. After this time she kept it in a laundry basket as a make-shift crib. She claims that she hid the body in a zip up bag when her daughter was due to arrive home. She later placed some items including the bag in storage when facing eviction.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:15 pm

bully_on_speed wrote:
maybe if christians approved abortion rights, this could have been avoided.

Maybe you could point out the part where it says she was Christian and/or that religion played any role in her decision whatsoever.

As for safe haven laws, this happened in New Zealand. I don't know what their safe haven laws are (if they have them), but abortion is legal under certain circumstances, including mental health issues, which she clearly has. If she can't remember whether the child was born in July or August, and whether or not the child was living, there's some problems going on there.

Three years!

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 4:15 pm

It is illegal to abandon your children in New Zealand. As to abortion, you do not have prove you currently have "mental issues", merely that your mental health would be at risk if you carry the pregnancy to term.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 6:32 pm

bully_on_speed wrote:
maybe if christians approved abortion rights, this could have been avoided.

"Current New Zealand law allows for abortions to be performed for the following reasons, providing the abortion is approved by two certifying consultants:
to save the life of the woman
to preserve the physical health of the woman
to preserve the mental health of the woman
foetal impairment
in cases of incest"

It might have been better if you had actually checked abortion laws in New Zealand before you made that statement.