Toddler shoots herself with a wii gun

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 8:43 pm

The publicity may have more to do with the "need to know" than upset it was a gun. At this point, parents are aware of the dangers of a pool. If they aren't, they haven't been paying attention. What I did not know was the popularity of the wii might confuse a toddler to accept and use an item they were otherwise unfamiliar with (although why she would point a wii gun at herself is beyond me). Point being, the hazard can be seen as "new," given common changes in home environments, and there is always more publicity when a harzard is perceived as previously unrecognized (in the past, you would have expected a toddler to explore the gun, but not intentionally use it / the problem was usually accidental discharge).

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 2:54 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
The publicity may have more to do with the "need to know" than upset it was a gun. At this point, parents are aware of the dangers of a pool. If they aren't, they haven't been paying attention. What I did not know was the popularity of the wii might confuse a toddler to accept and use an item they were otherwise unfamiliar with (although why she would point a wii gun at herself is beyond me). Point being, the hazard can be seen as "new," given common changes in home environments, and there is always more publicity when a harzard is perceived as previously unrecognized (in the past, you would have expected a toddler to explore the gun, but not intentionally use it / the problem was usually accidental discharge).

That might explain some of the news coverage, but it certainly doesn't explain the level of outrage at the parents, which is doubly odd considering that you'd normally expect compassion for someone who's lost a child regardless of the circumstances. I'm just saying, people really should try to think about things before they give in to emotion or worse, try to exploit a tragedy for political gain.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 4:33 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

That might explain some of the news coverage, but it certainly doesn't explain the level of outrage at the parents, which is doubly odd considering that you'd normally expect compassion for someone who's lost a child regardless of the circumstances. I'm just saying, people really should try to think about things before they give in to emotion or worse, try to exploit a tragedy for political gain.

True.

I think people overall are very quick to negatively judge parents, seeming to forget that accidents do happen, memory lapses happen, and pure stuppidity also happens among the best of parents. Would I, personally, prefer that the added hazard of a gun not be added to a home with young children? Yes. But, then, we avoided buying a home with a pool, too - I KNOW how my attention wanes and wanders, so I child proofed quite far beyond the norm. I'm not out voting for a pool ban ;) The thing that bothered me in the article I read (a while ago) was that the parents seemed like they wanted to blame their tragic lapse on the wii, which could have been an unintentional result of poor reporting, and I saw a big dollar lawsuit floating in front of my eyes for something that really isn't the wii's fault, either. Some tragedies are just that: tragedies. There isn't always someone to blame, and I have trouble when people run around looking for scapegoats.

I do get a pretty strong emotional reaction against guns, but I do think I kept that from influencing my posts on this. Or did I not?

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 5:10 pm

This isn't an accidental tragedy. Somebody shot her, and it wasn't herself, unless she was a seriously beef-ass 3 year old. I agree with Raptor.

Sometimes people go to prison, die, etc due to nothing more than a case of the stupids. It's a part of life. It being a mistake takes away the criminal intent part, but that's all it takes away.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 11:36 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Gun on top is the real one.

This might seem an odd point, but the handgun in question is a Smith and Wesson Sigma Subcompact .380, which has one external safety feature: an 8 to 10 lb trigger pull which is also very long. That is more than ten times the weight of the gun itself and considered on the heavy side for a handgun, the very similar Glock models typically have a 4.5 lb trigger, though there are kits to increase that installed on some police models. My point is that 8-10 lbs is considered heavy enough to act as a safety feature for an adult male user; so how the hell did a 3 year old girl manage to get the gun in such an awkward position to shoot herself in the stomach and still manage to reach the long trigger and pull it all the way through? That model is loaded with internal safeties against accidental discharge, the only way it could have fired was having the trigger pulled fully and held to the rear, and given the hand strength and size of toddlers I find that to be a questionable possibility in the situation described. I'll be really surprised if this story holds together, if anything I can see one of the parents mistaking the real pistol for the admittedly similar looking off-brand Wii peripheral and being the one that actually pulled the trigger, but it's tragic however it happened.

They both look fake and I can't tell which one is real.The bottom one doesn't even look like a Wii gun. Toddlers don't have the common sense yet to not point a gun at anyone or at themselves or to not even touch the gun because they don't know if it's real or not.

Who knows maybe the mother shot her kid and said her kid did it. But they might do some investigating and take the hand prints on the gun to see who had it. I am sure they will update the news.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 11:39 pm

Mainichi wrote:
It's 100% the stepfathers fault for leaving the gun were she could get it. No doubt that the parents will have to live with the mistake for the rest of their lives. He should face some charges. Nintendo is not responsible for this tragic accident nor is the NRA. They will not get away with suing Nintendo, who has powerful lawyers that will prove parents fault.

It should be the mother's fault too. She let her husband leave it out. Why didn't she put it away?

If Nintendo didn't make the product, the other company that made it would be getting sued instead by the parents.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 11:41 pm

Relyt22 wrote:
Title of thread is misleading. I was thinking at first "...so she's completely fine, then?"

I was being funny.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 12:38 am

Did the Wii lass have a Wii of a time?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :o 8O

... Oh ... God ... That's really bad...