Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 1:12 pm

A podcast with an interview with Temple Grandin can be downloaded until Friday 16th April here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/interview

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 4:11 pm

Gromit wrote:
A podcast with an interview with Temple Grandin can be downloaded until Friday 16th April here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/interview

Temple is the Patron Saint of the Aspies. I regard her as a hero

When she gave a TED lecture she said there were probably a few Aspies in the audience. About 3/4 of the people stood up and gave her a standing ovation. My life was never as hard as hers, but I can relate to just about everything she talks about.

ruveyn

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 4:56 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Gromit wrote:

My life was never as hard as hers, but I can relate to just about everything she talks about.

What "hard life" did Temple Grandin have? She was born into a wealthy family, grew up on a ranch in Colorado, attended a private boarding school when she was young and had loving, attentive parents who encouraged and supportived her in all her years of growing up...in spite of her Autism. Without that loving support and encouragement from her parents, she would not have achieved her "status" as Associate professor at Colorado State University in Animal Science.

Others should be so lucky...

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 5:49 pm

I do not know the details of Temple's life, but I do know there is no silver spoon that can scoop an Aspie's struggles away.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 8:08 pm

Zsazsa wrote:
[

What "hard life" did Temple Grandin have? She was born into a wealthy family, grew up on a ranch in Colorado, attended a private boarding school when she was young and had loving, attentive parents who encouraged and supportived her in all her years of growing up...in spite of her Autism. Without that loving support and encouragement from her parents, she would not have achieved her "status" as Associate professor at Colorado State University in Animal Science.

Others should be so lucky...

Unable to speak until four years old. Then suffering social difficulties during her high school years. In those days folks did not have much charity or patience for "wierdos". She experienced cruelty and rejection during her highs school days. She had perceptual difficulties and suffered from various fears of which you know nothing. She could not tolerate physical contact. It is tough not being able to hug one's parents or siblings. She is celibate because she cannot stand the emotional intensity of an intimate relationship. No kids for her.

In spite of all these difficulties she managed to learn science and became a world-wide authority in animal husbandry. Half of the humane slaughter sites in North America were designed by her. Not bad for an emotional cripple.

Read her autobiography -Thinking in Pictures-.

I had a tenth of her problems growing up, but it was still uncomfortable and at times rather painful. I had to put up with a lot of crap from would-be bullies. But I survived. So did she.

ruveyn