Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 10:34 am

...sigh

Police: Autism was motive in Colo. child's killing

(AP) – 22 hours ago

BOULDER, Colo. — Police say a woman accused of killing her infant son did it because she believed the boy was autistic and thought his condition would "ruin" her life.

Stephanie Rochester, 34, was charged Monday with murder in the June 1 suffocation death of her 6-month-old son, Rylan. According to an affidavit seeking her arrest, Rochester wanted to commit suicide but didn't want to "burden her husband" with the potentially autistic boy.

The affidavit says that the night before the infant died, Stephanie and Lloyd Rochester "talked about how they wanted to have fun in life."

"Stephanie said that she knew they would not have fun while they were caring for a severely autistic child," according to the affidavit, written by Boulder County sheriff's Detective Mark Spurgeon.

The woman told police she had worked with autistic children as a hospital counselor and believed her son had the developmental disorder, which affects a person's ability to communicate and interact with others. Pediatricians said Rylan was progressing normally.

Stephanie Rochester's lawyer, Boulder County public defender Megan Ring, did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Spurgeon wrote that the night Rylan died, his mother placed three baby blankets on top of his face, then went downstairs to plan a vacation to Cape Cod with her husband. She got up around 2:30 a.m. and put more blankets over the baby, police said.

At about 6 a.m., Stephanie Rochester took the blankets off Rylan's head and "just lost it when she realized what she had done," according to the affidavit. She and Lloyd Rochester took Rylan to Avista Hospital in Louisville, where he was pronounced dead.

Rochester was being held on suicide watch. She's due back in court for a status conference June 24 and is scheduled to have a preliminary hearing Sept. 8.

Rochester's friends and family, including her mother, were in the courtroom Monday, but her husband was not.

District Attorney Stan Garnett told the Daily Camera newspaper that he is unlikely to seek the death penalty in the case.

Information from: Daily Camera, http://www.dailycamera.com/

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD9G777CG0

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 10:46 am

This is one reason why I do not trust most professionals who deal with autistic people - especially mental health professionals. I believe that most of them either do not like us or feel superior towards us.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 10:53 am

This person makes me sick, I hope she gets put away for life.

The part of the story that really scares me, though, is this: "The woman told police she had worked with autistic children as a hospital counselor" 8O

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 11:33 am

I hope she gets life without parole but not the death penalty. Let her sit and think about what she had done for the rest of her life instead of "having fun"

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:11 pm

I would have taken that kid. I hope she rots in Hades.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:45 pm

This is only the beginning. Her attitude is the very one that Autism Speaks is promoting through million-dollar ad campaigns: Autistic children are a burden and a humiliation to their families.

Until that message is stopped and countered, incidents like this will increase in frequency.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 2:02 pm

You know, she said she wanted to commit suicide. I say we help her out with that...

kia_williams
Raven
Raven

09 Jun 2010, 2:12 pm

Quote:
she believed the boy was autistic and thought his condition would "ruin" her life.

I try to avoid the "people like this" mentality but...

Quote:
People like this are why I support the death penalty, if she'd been certain she'd be executed, i think we'd be reading about a childrens worker putting her own up for adoption, not a murder.

Feel free to quote me on that.

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 2:21 pm

Willard wrote:
This is only the beginning. Her attitude is the very one that Autism Speaks is promoting through million-dollar ad campaigns: Autistic children are a burden and a humiliation to their families.

Until that message is stopped and countered, incidents like this will increase in frequency.

I think you may very well be right.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 3:10 pm

Cuterebra wrote:
Willard wrote:

Me too. As long as the high functioning like us are also ostracized from society and treated like outcasts, we will have an increase in mass murder sprees as well. This works both ways. At one time, many autistic people were accepted for their talents, and this was before there was a name for our condition.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 3:10 pm

Cuterebra wrote:
Willard wrote:

Me too. As long as the high functioning like us are also ostracized from society and treated like outcasts, we will have an increase in mass murder sprees as well. This works both ways. At one time, many autistic people were accepted for their talents, and this was before there was a name for our condition.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 6:26 pm

Willard wrote:

Exactly!

This is why I get so upset and passionate about promoting positive Autism Awareness. People wonder why I get so mad at people like Jenny McCarthy and Autism Speaks!
"Calm down...why do you get upset?" TA DA!

Sorry, Im very angry and sad!

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 6:27 pm

I have a double posting problem recently.

Last edited by liloleme on 09 Jun 2010, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 7:01 pm

That b***h makes me sick. I hope she gets fired from her job, and I also hope that she's locked up, for life. A mother like that, she's not even a mother...she's a murderer, deserves to be locked up for life, or executed. Thanks for making our lives a living hell, Jenny McCarthy and Autism Speaks! :evil:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 7:03 pm

cyberscan wrote:
Cuterebra wrote:
Willard wrote:

Or before the movie Rain Man made it's inevitable debut, on the silver screen, in the cold November of 1988.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 8:03 pm

She diagnosed a six-month-old? That sounds suspect. Seriously, what issues did she see? At that age, being completely nonverbal is no cause for concern; at that age, fixations/special interests will not be apparent...

Is no one going to point that out?

As to the woman herself, I hope she repents and turns to the Lord. I hope her soul can find some peace; she must be in a great deal of torment, to make a choice like that.

NOT A DOCTOR