Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 12:46 pm

Brazil, heavily favoured to win the World Cup after making the quarter-final, will not even make the semi-finals.
To read more about the biggest upset of the tournament, follow the following link:

Brazil 1, Netherlands 2

The only bad th9ing about this is that I can't offer you the video highlights of the game. :(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 4:06 pm

The World Cup has been horrible, this year.

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2010, 5:13 pm

Douglas_MacNeill wrote:
Brazil, heavily favoured to win the World Cup after making the quarter-final, will not even make the semi-finals.
To read more about the biggest upset of the tournament, follow the following link:

Brazil 1, Netherlands 2

The only bad th9ing about this is that I can't offer you the video highlights of the game. :(

Personally i wasn't suprised as i thought it would be close, so i personally wouldn't go that far. Id say Italy finishing bottom and in some respects Switzerland winning against Spain, though of course that didn;t nearly have as much impact on the tournament. :)

The following link shows the highlights hopefully, but im going to guess only to uk viewers:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... s/match_57

Just need to wait a few hours till the Argentina Germany match.......which will probably end up quite dull now lol :D

jaspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jul 2010, 4:02 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
The World Cup has been horrible, this year.

It is all the fault of those Vuvuzelas. :x :x :evil:

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 6:01 am

Damm those Vuvuzelas!

I wonder how many of the fans will end up with hearing damage as a result of being exposed to that noise at the games?

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 7:16 am

tweety_fan wrote:
Damm those Vuvuzelas!

I wonder how many of the fans will end up with hearing damage as a result of being exposed to that noise at the games?

Presumably not very many, or it would already be endemic among South African fans. Unless it is!

The year is still young.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 11:29 am

Douglas_MacNeill wrote:

Here's some highlights (only 3 minutes worth):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 784626.stm

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 12:19 am

-yawn- this is why i never bother with sports even except MAYBE the Olypics.... Too much national pride and other stuff riding on it =.=

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2010, 3:42 pm

tweety_fan wrote:
Damm those Vuvuzelas!

Probably brain damage as well; at least bagpipes have class.

CJame
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2010, 2:38 am

The upset was possible due to a fatal mistake by Brazil scoring in their own goal.

I head the last time that happened, the soccer player was shot by a fellow countryman when he arrived home.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:27 am

CJame wrote:
The upset was possible due to a fatal mistake by Brazil scoring in their own goal.

I head the last time that happened, the soccer player was shot by a fellow countryman when he arrived home.

The player you are referring to is Andres Escobar of Colombia, who was shot dead a few days after scoring an own goal in the 1994 World Cup (apparently after an argument with someone who'd placed a bet on the game).

Own goals are not that all that uncommon in football. I would be surprised if there haven't been other own goals in the World Cup between Escobar's in 1994 and Mello's in 2010, but I can't think of any right now. :?

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2010, 5:35 am

skysaw wrote:
CJame wrote:

The player you are referring to is Andres Escobar of Colombia, who was shot dead a few days after scoring an own goal in the 1994 World Cup (apparently after an argument with someone who'd placed a bet on the game).

Own goals are not that all that uncommon in football. I would be surprised if there haven't been other own goals in the World Cup between Escobar's in 1994 and Mello's in 2010, but I can't think of any right now. :?

Yeh i think i heard it was gang related too, supposedly.

Off the top of my head there have been 2 other own goals in the world cup this year if anybody's interested. Park Cho Young (i think thats his name?) for South Korea Vs Argentina, and Daniel Agger for Denmark against Holland, both of which were in the group stages. Im not entirely sure if there were any others though.

But can somebody please explain to me as to how the Melo goal was awarded as an own goal, and not to Sneijder. I cant see any difference between that goal and the Rob Green mistake in England V USA, and that was awarded to the guy who took the shot, Dempsey!?!

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 5:49 am

gassy wrote:
But can somebody please explain to me as to how the Melo goal was awarded as an own goal, and not to Sneijder. I cant see any difference between that goal and the Rob Green mistake in England V USA, and that was awarded to the guy who took the shot, Dempsey!?!

It's usually down to whether the player was attempting to prevent a shot on goal that would have gone in. If someone shoots and the ball would go into the net, and a defender attempts to deflect it but fails, it isn't an own goal. If the ball was not heading for the back of the net, and the defender tries to do something with it and makes a mistake that ends up in the net, it's an own goal.

Or even deliberately scores... :lol:

The year is still young.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 7:32 am

gassy wrote:
Off the top of my head there have been 2 other own goals in the world cup this year if anybody's interested. Park Cho Young (i think thats his name?) for South Korea Vs Argentina, and Daniel Agger for Denmark against Holland, both of which were in the group stages. Im not entirely sure if there were any others though.

Thanks for the info. 8)

gassy wrote:

Actually (and this is what I forgot to add) I think the goal has been "officially" credited to Schneider, which has baffled some people seeing as it was clearly a cross and not a shot, and might have been saved had Mello not been in the way.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 11:27 am

I love those vuvuzelas. I really don't know what every1 is moaning about... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN343OnMdp4

MolochTheBlackFlame
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2010, 5:54 pm

The reason why the United States is not that good in soccer is because they spend too much time honing their skills and not practicing taking dives or faking injuries. The situation has been pretty ridiculous with year, especially in the Brazil-Ivory Coast game. We are way behind almost every other country. We expected a FIFA referee to be impartial and make fair calls! How can you make a call and not tell anyone why you made the call? Seriously...