Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 9:50 am

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sn ... 4928.story

Quote:
CHICAGO (AP) — Autism is more common in children who had jaundice at birth, a big Danish study found, but researchers cautioned they don't know how the two conditions might be related and that new parents shouldn't be alarmed.

Mild jaundice is fairly common and generally harmless. Severe, untreated jaundice is known to cause brain damage, but it's also rare and hasn't been proven to cause autism. It's possible that children genetically predisposed to autism might also be more vulnerable than others to jaundice.

But if autism and jaundice are related, the study doesn't answer whether one of the ailments might have caused the other, said Rikke Damkjaer Maimburg, the lead author and a researcher at Denmark's Aarhus University.

Maimburg and colleagues examined medical data on all 733,826 children born in Denmark between 1994 and 2004. The results were prepared for release online Monday in Pediatrics.

More than 35,000 newborns had jaundice, while autism was eventually diagnosed in 577 children. Among autistic children, almost 9 percent had jaundice as newborns, compared with 3 percent of other children.

Previous studies on a possible autism-jaundice link have produced conflicting results.

The new results shouldn't scare parents whose newborns are jaundiced, said Dr. Thomas Newman, a pediatrician and epidemiologist at the University of California at San Francisco who studied the same topic and found no link.

Mild jaundice can cause a yellowish-orange tinge to the skin and simply signals that newborns' livers aren't fully mature. Newborns are typically examined for jaundice before leaving the hospital, and it usually disappears within a week or two without treatment.

"Jaundice is almost always harmless," Newman said. "The evidence for an association (with autism) is weak and inconsistent and evidence for causality nonexistent."

The study lacked data on severity of jaundice, which involves having elevated levels of bilirubin in the body. Bilirubin is yellowish pigment created as the body recycles old red blood cells. It is processed by the liver; during pregnancy the mother's liver handles the job and sometimes newborns' livers take a while to kick in.

The autism-jaundice link was not seen in Danish children born prematurely. The authors said brain development near birth might be most vulnerable to high bilirubin levels, but that's only speculation.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2010, 10:00 am

Maybe jaundice is an environmental trigger that can activate autism in someone with the proper genetics.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 12:11 pm

That is a rather weak correlation.

ruveyn

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 12:59 pm

Ah, goddammit, I was gonna post this article.

One of the more interesting correlations mentioned in the article was that people who developed autism were ususally born during the dark months of winter. I was born in March, so that holds true for me.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 1:12 pm

Next time on the What Causes Autism This Week Show, it'ssss chickens! Remember to tune in to see how toddlers become 20% more autistic when they enter farms!

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 5:12 pm

ironically, my brother had jaundice and I did not and I have Asperger's! I swear, it seems like people seem to think a lot of things cause autism...

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Oct 2010, 11:33 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Next time on the What Causes Autism This Week Show, it'ssss chickens! Remember to tune in to see how toddlers become 20% more autistic when they enter farms!

:lol:

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 12:04 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Agree. It seems like they are grasping for anything that could explain Autism.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 11:20 am

Wonderful cause of Aut topic

Slightly off stopic here: apparently 1-2 alcoholic drinks per week will not harm a developing fetus. :roll:

Check it out.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 7:02 pm

It seems like everything causes autism!

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 7:03 pm

It seems like everything causes autism!

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 5:44 pm

I had jaundice as a newborn.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 7:59 pm

xenon13 wrote:
I had jaundice as a newborn.

Same here.

Man, if I get married and my wife wants kids I'll move into the sticks - far away from the city, far away from factory farms, far away from chemical plants, far away from modern life. I'll get rid of the chemical influence behind autism but not my devil genes...

number5
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 8:59 am

My son did not have jaundice - aspie
My daughter did - NT

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2010, 6:40 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Ah, goddammit, I was gonna post this article.

One of the more interesting correlations mentioned in the article was that people who developed autism were ususally born during the dark months of winter. I was born in March, so that holds true for me.

What does this mean? I was born in March, and I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I don't think what month you were born has anything to do with it. It's a genetic condtion. But if defines who I am, and I am proud of who I am. Aspie all the way.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2010, 6:47 pm

Ichinin wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Agree. It seems like they are grasping for anything that could explain Autism.

No one knows for sure what causes autism. Scientists are grasping at straws all the time. Autism is like a scapegoat almost. Or I seem to be saying that anything in the environment like pollution, chemicals, etc... - scientists are just deciding that any of those might cause autism. I've always known it to be genetic. But with the constant misunderstanding that autism is bad, a dark light is being shone upon us. We're in a constant scientific spotlight for not being as normal as everyone else. What does it matter? I see the world differently. There isn't anything wrong with that, nor is there anything wrong with me.