Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 8:15 pm

I happened to walk in on the TV a minute ago and catch the tail end of this CNN story:

Retracted autism study an elaborate fraud - CNN.com

I'll give you my opinion when I finish reading it. This is breaking news, people.

EDIT: Ok, I can now conclude that Dr. Wakefield is a liar and a douchebag and deserves to be locked up for life, let alone never be able to practice medicine again.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 10:05 pm

Finally! The morons are caught :D

Kai_Bliss
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2011, 10:17 pm

Keep us updated, I would love to read a story, I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Here is the link to the story on CNN.

CNN Autism Story

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 10:46 pm

Kai_Bliss wrote:
Keep us updated, I would love to read a story, I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Here is the link to the story on CNN.

CNN Autism Story

I already had it linked, but thanks anyways.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 12:38 am

also here's a yahoo link
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110106/ap_ ... tism_fraud

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 1:13 am

I am glad to read this, it makes very interesting reading.

If you have time read the following

http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c5347.full

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 4:54 am

For using the autism bogeyman to convince parents not to vaccinate their children, this quack was incomprehensibly irresponsible at best - psychopathic at worst.
It was only a matter of time till he was unmasked as the fraud he is. But the damage has been done. And because of the fact that he still has defenders, unfortunately his menace to children, and their feeble minded parents, is going to continue.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2011, 5:15 pm

http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/J ... /Home.html

That link pretty much sums it up.

PS: I could rant on the subject if you really wanted me to.

Snowfern
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2011, 2:23 am

i'm glad. let's see how the 'less-informed' (i am being very PC here) react to this news.

should be interesting.

jaspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2011, 4:00 am

Finally,the truth has been exposed!

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 4:07 am

It's a little late, but I think Dr. Wakefield qualifies for the 2010 Baka of the Year award. Since I haven't found someone to award that to yet.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 1:17 pm

I think it was even listed in my local paper :o (we usually have stupid crap in it).

Dellingr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2011, 10:09 pm

People trust what doctors say to them, and parents are especially vulnerable, I wonder how many kids have been permanently disabled or killed by diseases they could have been vaccinated for safely, all because that prick was getting paid by the lawyers for creating a scare

still, he seems to be getting some of his just deserts

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 5:16 pm

Well, I'm glad about this cause, for a long time I've always known that autism and all autistic variants are not solely caused from the thiomersal found in the mmr vaccine shot..Truthfully speaking, I feel there might be many factors and causitive factors which can lead to the development of any ASD as a whole.Still, I found myself in a debate about this yesterday and wound up not only leaving that forum but terminating my internet account at that particular portal.. Yes it probab;y sounds as if I was rash,immature,cowardly though, when trying to debate people whom willfully deny evidence when shown such makes it extremely difficult to remain in such places.. Anyways, I'm thankful for the article and this thread..

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 11:24 pm

I posted the link to this article on my facebook to share with friends :wink:. I feel a bit bad though... my one friend is a sweet guy & when I explained my feelings on the MMR vaccine & how I'm for it but personally against the flu shot for myself (my grandfather had Guillian-Barre syndrome & his was VERY serious) he said something about all children needing mmr to protect them against that strain of flu... I had to define MMR-measles/mumps/rubella & clarify that its NOT a flue shot :lmao:.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 4:06 pm

I've not heard much about Dr. Wakefield but we don't vaccinate in our house and won't. I think there's an underlying genetic problem(in my family though that has nothing to do with vaccine safety) and have had very bad reactions to vaccines. Plus never developed the immunity to whatever it was I was vaccinated to(and neither did my kids). Quite frankly I think whatever this doctor claimed we shouldn't forget that there are generally rare exceptions to every rule. I'm the only person I know who got to spend a week in the hospital with Measles after my Measles vaccine b/c my immune system sucks so much that I couldn't fight off a weakened virus......I can't take live vaccines.

However flawed his study may have been and a liar he may be there may well be children out there who had hidden genetic issues that react adversely to vaccines. If this is the case he has in no way helped those children and rather has hurt them badly. I do think there are environmental factors and no way do I believe all the chemicals in the environment are harmless. Most things in excess are harmful and I quite frankly have a bit of trouble believing the FDA assurances that all those vaccines are perfectly safe together. It's not that there have been studies about it simply the fact that this same agency has had numerous recalls, has been asleep at the switch in terms of food safety, and the constant stream of commercials about certain drugs causing horrendous side effects from lawyers. It's the water report that has more chemicals then should be in the water and smells of chlorine that we still have to boil because otherwise it's not safe to drink. 8O