Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 2:23 pm

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/what-w ... -your-mind

Yes, Zero Hedge can be a little out there, but these charts don't lie. The US economy can't go on for much longer like this. What will you do when your SSI checks stop?

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 2:39 pm

To me the monetary system is a system which can only end in collapse.

The gap between the rich and poor is also growing wider which makes me sick.

Taking into account rising prices and debt is one thing, but when you factor in the massive increase in automated processes which were once jobs, this creates more poverty due to joblessness too.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 3:12 pm

PatrickNeville wrote:
To me the monetary system is a system which can only end in collapse.

The gap between the rich and poor is also growing wider which makes me sick.

What have the Poor done for you lately?

ruveyn

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 3:38 pm

Many people who are considered poor are great friends of mines, so be my friend would be the answer to that.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 4:24 pm

PatrickNeville wrote:
Many people who are considered poor are great friends of mines, so be my friend would be the answer to that.

A generalized sympathy for the poor is misplaced.

if a person is poor by reason of not being competent or bright, that is just nature at work.

if a person is poor by choice that is no reason to feel sorry for him.

if a person is poor because of an injustice, that is a different story. Something like that can happen to you and it can happen to me so I am interested in preventing such injustices.

ruveyn

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Mar 2011, 12:10 am

my mom has been predicting the economic colaspe...and she is in a nuthouse, but she is not crazy...she is right.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 12:31 am

jojobean wrote:
my mom has been predicting the economic colaspe...and she is in a nuthouse, but she is not crazy...she is right.

Looks like Glenn Beck will also be able to tell a lot of people that he told them so.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 12:37 am

ruveyn wrote:
if a person is poor by reason of not being competent or bright, that is just nature at work.
ruveyn

You gotta be kidding. You can't tell someone to get a job if there aren't any jobs.

What about all those poor schmucks who graduated from university with huge student loan debts only to find that there no jobs except flipping hamburgers?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Mar 2011, 1:12 am

Wombat wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
ruveyn

You gotta be kidding. You can't tell someone to get a job if there aren't any jobs.

What about all those poor schmucks who graduated from university with huge student loan debts only to find that there no jobs except flipping hamburgers?

One of my friends in college got a degree in library science but did not have the funds, nor job to get her masters degree in order to become a librarian, She was homeless 6 months after graduating from college with a unmedicated bipolar daughter roaming the country getting kicked out of one homeless shelter to another because she could not control her daughter. Well this continued for 3 years, was this her fault??? NO I dont think so, she just happened to graduate as the job market started shrinking. luckily, she ran into a friend who was into her faverate special interest which is role play and opened a buisness in selling costumes and tokens and whatever else role players use and she needed someone in the front with real experience and my friend fit the bill and they went into buisness together.

JoeR43
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2011, 3:20 am

Well, the great intellectual battle leading up to the Progressive Era was the Austrians v. the Keynesians.
The Keynesians won in most parts of the world, and western governments evolved from minimalist states that had little interest in the day to day affairs of citizens, outside of security, to the big, hulking ones we see now. Now we have programs that I had no say in (Social Security, Medicare) draining money out of our paychecks, though they'll likely be empty by the time I stick my hand in the cookie jar. State governments have guaranteed pension plans and other things that had to have needed the rosiest of projections to show how they'd be funded.

So what's the way out. Soak the rich?
Common populist answer. But it's stupid. It's not the rich who got us into this mess, at least not the honest ones who got rich by providing a good and service people want. It's the politicians who promised some people the money of other people, which doesn't work once other people get a say in matters. Not to mention the statistics show weak, if any, correlation between top marginal tax rate (aka rich people soaking) and revenues: http://blogs.marketwatch.com/fundmaster ... e-revenue/

The real solution is getting rid of bad government agencies, bad government programs, and beginning to phase out things like SS and Medicare. On the state level, end collective bargaining and pay scales. which will help states balance their budget while still giving truly deserving state employees a chance at handsome salaries.

We're a mess right now. I'm hoping people see what's going on in Greece, Portugal, France, England, etc, and what will likely happen in places like Italy and Spain soon, and see that being wealthy doesn't mean we're immune from economic law. The pain is coming, and if it arrives, it's going to hurt the weakest in society disproportionately. Funny, because that's what I thought all this big government nonsense was supposed to help.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 11:30 pm

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?

People who support Austrian economics would probably think that workhouses are too kind to the poor! That they deserve to live on the streets or in Dickensian rookeries because the Holy Market has so decreed.

Right now we have more wealth than ever before! Why is it that we now must return to Dickensian squalor for the majority because "we can't afford it" when we have more wealth than ever? I can tell you the answer - it's a choice. An evil choice and those who make such a choice shall have no grounds to complain when it's time for them to take the plunge on the gallows.