Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 5:53 am

AN American armchair astronomer claims he has found evidence of, well, something on Mars.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/t ... 6070073018

David Martines' YouTube video is heading for viral status after he uploaded a flyby of Google Earth's Mars explorer zooming in on a white, cylindrical shaped object.

The object, according to Mr Martines, is "about 700 feet long and 150 feet wide".

He's calling it "Bio Station Alpha, because I'm just assuming that something lives in it or has lived in it".

"It's very unusual in that it's quite large, it's over 700 feet long and 150 feet wide, it looks like it's a cylinder or made up of cylinders," he says.

The coordinates of Bio Station Alpha are 71 49'19.73"N 29 33'06.53"W and that anyone who has downloaded the Google Earth software can see it.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 6:08 am

Interesting, but to premature to tell what it is.

High rez pictures would be interesting.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 6:21 am

I predict this will be proved to be untrue.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 6:28 am

since where on the topic already, ive been dying to know wether a visit to that ice planet europa will happen anywhere in the next 60 years.
I would like to witness it.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 8:05 am

That is awesome.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 8:38 am

It could just as easily be one of our crashed satellites.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
... I'm just assuming ...

Assumptions are not evidence; any claim byond "there is something there" is invalid.
cyberdad wrote:
The coordinates of Bio Station Alpha are 71 49'19.73"N 29 33'06.53"W and that anyone who has downloaded the Google Earth software can see it.

How would Google Earth allow someone to see the surface of Mars?

This is how woo-woo beliefs get started: "I see something and I don't know what it is" morphs into "There is intelligence behind it", and the claim is followed up with further bogus information.

The title of this thread is therefor vastly misleading.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:45 am

Quaid.... start the reactor.....

V001
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2011, 9:58 am

As for how can you use google earth program to see mars. In the menu pick view>explore mars. As for a random shape being proof not buy it sorry. The scale used on the mars data varys alot.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 10:41 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
Quaid.... start the reactor.....

I'd sooner have my eyeballs sucked out! :P

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
Assumptions are not evidence; any claim byond "there is something there" is invalid.

Your Lordship has attributed a statement to me that I did not make. Tisk Tisk.

Fnord wrote:
How would Google Earth allow someone to see the surface of Mars?.

Please refer to V001's instructions. Obviously you have not used Google earth before your lordship.

Fnord wrote:
This is how woo-woo beliefs get started: "I see something and I don't know what it is" morphs into "There is intelligence behind it", and the claim is followed up with further bogus information.

Well technically the jury is still out. The skeptics have already bounced around the following
1) Google earth generated viral hoax to promote google earth
2) Google earth anomoly owing to pixalation of fine granular detail on the surface of mars
3) ice remnants
4) crashed satellite

Of these 4 you can immediately discount 1.3 and 4.
I am waiting for confirmation from Google earth that this is not a functional error with it's software in pixelation of surface features. If the answer is no then NASA have some explaining to do.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:48 pm

The high energy cosmic ray theory is most plausible. I saw a 3D image of it and it looks like a streak that got digitized into little square pixels and then Google earth's computer made a model of garbage in garbage out data. Additionally I find it odd that an entire base would be compacted into little more than a line without any signs of any transportation methods surrounding it. No vehicles, tracks in the dirt, tram system, launch/lancing pads, heavy equipment, junk, nothing.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Assumptions are not evidence; any claim beyond "there is something there" is invalid.

Your Lordship has attributed a statement to me that I did not make. Tisk Tisk.

Where does it say "Cyberdad said this..."?
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
How would Google Earth allow someone to see the surface of Mars?.

Please refer to V001's instructions. Obviously you have not used Google earth before your lordship.

I have used Google Earth ... to look at Earth. I use Google Mars to look at Mars.
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Well technically the jury is still out. The skeptics have already bounced around the following
1) Google earth generated viral hoax to promote google earth
2) Google earth anomaly owing to pixalation of fine granular detail on the surface of mars
3) ice remnants
4) crashed satellite
Of these 4 you can immediately discount 1.3 and 4.

Why? What evidence do you have to support that claim?
cyberdad wrote:
I am waiting for confirmation from Google earth that this is not a functional error with it's software in pixelation of surface features. If the answer is no then NASA have some explaining to do.

Only if there is an error in imaging, modulation, transmission, reception, demodulation, and replication; and only if NASA equipment is somehow at fault ... not that anything NASA has ever built has ever blown up, burned up, glitched, crashed, malfunctioned, or simply failed to work at all ... nope, never happens...

... like Hell it doesn't!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

here

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
I have used Google Earth ... to look at Earth. I use Google Mars to look at Mars.

I mean't use the menu on google earth to switch to google mars. Glad to hear you are a boffin on these applications.