Ind. schools no longer required to teach cursive handwriting

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 3:18 pm

I find writing in cursive easier than printing. If you look at all my handwritten notes, CD-R labels, etc, they're all in cursive, since it's easier for me to write. I do try to print when I'm sure somebody else will read it though, because my cursive is hard to read. When I was in HS in the early 90s (prior to laptops, etc) all our in-class writing was expected to be in cursive. That was a LONG time ago, though, and times are totally different now.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:33 pm

In this age of laptop computers, portable drives and i-pads it's certainly about time.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:42 pm

Thank the Universe that cursive is disappearing.

Cursive is counter productive and should have no place. It is hard to read, hard to learn, and can be hard to write. Sure, it might let people write faster but printing is faster for left handers. If someone hands me something in cursive, I just hand it back to them and tell them to write it in legible print.

I feel cursive is discriminatory toward left handers. Whenever I write in cursive, my hand cramps more often and I am forced to lift the pen more than my right handed peers.

Everyone says I have beautiful cursive sadly.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:00 pm

Printing is not faster for all lefties. :wink:

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 8:42 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Printing is not faster for all lefties. :wink:

I demand you teach me your method...Please?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 9:03 pm

techn0teen wrote:
Thank the Universe that cursive is disappearing.

Cursive is counter productive and should have no place. It is hard to read, hard to learn, and can be hard to write. Sure, it might let people write faster but printing is faster for left handers. If someone hands me something in cursive, I just hand it back to them and tell them to write it in legible print.

I feel cursive is discriminatory toward left handers. Whenever I write in cursive, my hand cramps more often and I am forced to lift the pen more than my right handed peers.

Everyone says I have beautiful cursive sadly.

For right-handers, cursive is not difficult and it is rather pretty. It is easier to show character in cursive, than with hand printing. Printing is for metallic type or computer displays.

ruveyn

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 9:14 pm

Uh...
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3817717.html#3817717

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 3:54 am

^Yup, that's what I've got :)

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 11:22 am

I've never been able to write well cursively (going to different schools in different countries over the years with each one teaching different styles of cursive at different ages did not help) and find it just as difficult to read

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

I've been doing cursive handwriting ever since i learned how to write. o.O I mostly started using more and more computer prints since college, but i don't relish having to write from time to time. I DO think that it is important for every child to at least be able to write properly with a pen, lest they go back to doing signatures with crosses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

If the next generation isnt going to learn cursive then how are they going to know how to sign their names?

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 6:39 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
If the next generation isnt going to learn cursive then how are they going to know how to sign their names?

I can't sign my name is cursive at all.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 6:41 pm

The teachers at my school didn't even try to teach me how to write is cursive, I can't even read most cursive becuase of it. It makes me really mad.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 7:28 pm

YoshiPikachu wrote:
The teachers at my school didn't even try to teach me how to write is cursive, I can't even read most cursive becuase of it. It makes me really mad.

You can teach it to yourself.

ruveyn

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 7:13 am

I don't have a special method. I just learned it in school like everyone else. Mine doesn't slant forward (which is indeed difficult for lefties to achieve) but is otherwise perfectly legible.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm

Cursive is utterly useless.

The only reason the learn it is to sign your name. Otherwise, dump it.

I can't write in cursive worth squat.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)