The People's Republic of China (Mainland) 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
Fnord's Genetic Transcript 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 22

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 5:05 pm

Let me get this straight ... according to "progressive" media sources:

Rupert Murdoch is evil for owning an organization that bribed police to hack private telephone conversations.

Julian Assange not evil for owning an organization that hacked top secret governmental and diplomatic emails.

Gary McKinnon is not evil for hacking 97 United States military and NASA computers.

China is not evil for violating copyright laws and for owning the people that hacked Google.

WTF?! !

... and people wonder why global culture is so effed up ...

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 6:14 pm

What progressive media sources made any of these claims? I am surprised Fnord since you always have refreshing posts with links which evidence your claims.

People usual hold a high level of mistrust for people who are in positions of power.

As a person into computer security, all these people have done illegal hacking. All of them deserve punishment and will get punishment (excluding China whose communism views believe intellectual property belongs to all).

However, Rupert Murdoch's employees did strikes me as the most atrocious and cold hearted due to who they hacked. I recognize that hacking into confidential, government computer systems is also atrocious due to the sensitive information but it usually involves an individual hacker that lacks a conscious.

When you have a massive, international corporation work together to accomplish hacking victims of horrendous events; the outlash is greater than the lone hacker who only hacked sensitive information; and rightfully so.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 7:19 pm

Will these do for starters?

Wall Street Journal: "News of the World vs. WikiLeaks"

Wikileaks Central: "Wall Street Journal's Murdoch-Shilling Ratchets Up" and "Latest News on #Cablegate Releases & #WikiLeaks"

I had actually hoped that others would "do my homework" for me, but I guess that everyone has begun to take it for granted that I will spoon-feed them what they want to know.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 9:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
Will these do for starters?

Wall Street Journal: "News of the World vs. WikiLeaks"

Wikileaks Central: "Wall Street Journal's Murdoch-Shilling Ratchets Up" and "Latest News on #Cablegate Releases & #WikiLeaks"

I had actually hoped that others would "do my homework" for me, but I guess that everyone has begun to take it for granted that I will spoon-feed them what they want to know.

Those are great sources and illustrate your point. Thank you.

If you were more specific Like "According to Wall Street Journal" and/or "According to Wikileaks Central" I would do the homework and have found the information myself. However, I have no clue what "progressive media" is, and it was personally too vague for me. When I typed "progressive media outlets" into Google or even "Murdoch wikileaks", I found no progressive media bias.

I did find this article: Radio Free Europe Radio Library

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Jul 2011, 12:09 am

Julian Assenge is viewed more like Robin Hood
However Murdoch is viewed more like the big bad wolf blowing down little piggies houses
all has to do with the balance of power...a small group of hackers taking on the superpower of the world and its evils is seen in in favorable light with the public as balancing the power struggle between the peasants and the power elite.
However someone as powerful as murdoch abusing the privacy of victims of horrendous acts is seen as a total imbalance of power, but to see that even he is accountable....evens out the balance again.

as far as Gary whoever...I dont know much about that

China...again a total imbalance of power pisses people off...of course for those in China it doesnt because they never known democracy so they just deal with the hand they are dealt or suffer the consquences. They are not allowed to think for themselves.

As far as FNord's genetic transcript. I see no imbalance of power either way there

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 12:19 am

Rupert Murdoch was physically attacked in the British Parliment.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Jul 2011, 12:41 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Rupert Murdoch was physically attacked in the British Parliment.

what does that have to do with who is more evil??

Jullian Assenge was brought up on false sexual abuse charges and faces prison. They both did the similar things, but I doubt that Murdoch will go to prision on trumpted up charges. A pie on the shirt pales in comparison to being framed.
I dont see your point.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 2:17 pm

They are all evil.

Everyone is guilty of something, the issue is degree.

That news has a special relationship with police is old news. Both drink and picking up the tab can open up police functions to the public.

It is a function of the police to investigate all innocent parties, to exclude them, in the hunt for the guilty. Hence they gather information that is not related to an investigation. Something about a girl being murdered, a kidnap story, so is it a cover for her being killed at home and buried?

If it makes the papers, someone published it, some reporter got the information, and some police department is leaking information for profit. So starting with the paper, track it back to the source, and fire some people.

If a married man is a suspect, and to prove he was somewhere else, he has to tell the police about his girlfriend. His story checks out, that should be the end of it.

The police do gather a lot of information that could be used for blackmail. That it is rare for any of it to get out says they are doing their job as professionals.

A private company undermined public safety.

I have read some Wiki leaks, no smoking guns, just the truth which is not an orderly thing. Who will support what is the basis for all diplomatic study. If that is exposed, our sources will give us a copy of their last press release. Change happens, and it is best to know beforehand.

A private citizen undermined world diplomatic efforts.

Gary attacked the Department of Defense. He did damage systems, what he copied, what he left, is unknown. At the least he is a sabotour. Considering this was during 9/11, it does constitute an act of war.

An agent of a foreign government imparied the Department of Defense during a crisis.

China is a thief. So were the people who opened Treaty Ports using cannon, and sold opium. China is just playing by international rules, might makes right.

Domestic use of bootleg software and movies is economic development. It is unlike their copy for export program, which is based on underselling the world. This is a domestic matter handled by the People's Liberation Army, who funds their operation with high quality software and entertainment.

Send complaints to the PLA.

A Post Colonial Country is regaining their traditional world leadership. The Middle Kingdom has added a lot to world knowledge. I am sure they will not complain when we make copies.

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 10:17 pm

I am amazed!! !! !! !

Thank you very much for mentioning it

P!R!C!

P!R!C!

P!R!C!

For I know and I have experienced how it goes before.....

The greatest sin of the Middle Kingdom is not about copyright....

Chinese medias and censorships are thousand and thousand times worse!

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 11:41 pm

China should be the one getting the most votes in this poll, they resort to murder, enslavement, etc. of their own people.

Seriously, people get over your pathological hatred of Conservatives.

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 2:40 am

Inuyasha wrote:
China should be the one getting the most votes in this poll, they resort to murder, enslavement, etc. of their own people.
Seriously, people get over your pathological hatred of Conservatives.

Therefore, I suprised for that the Cathay did not get it.... 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 1:50 pm

I would not be surprised if both Murdochs
{Rupert Murdoch and his son James}
are forced out of News Corp.
if someone tells British Parliament
both had a hand in trying to cover this hacking scandal up.

Likely that won't happen, but consider it as a possibility.

As for the OP's question, IMOO, both News of the World
and WikiLeaks are about neck & neck in terms of
who's worse.

I don't know much about Gary McKinnon and with a imbalance of
power, China will remain one of the many socially & politically effed up
countries for who-knows-how-long.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 10:49 pm

I think you get your information on China from newscorp.

Party Members, Bankers, Business owners, have been taken out and shot, after trial of course.

Politicans, Bankers, and Businesses in the west find this horrible. They are an elite that should never be treated as common criminals.

China restricts freedom, and will not let Missionaries in. All Missionaries are spies, and are out to undermine all local governments. It is what they do. The results have been ugly wherever they went.

The same goes for Western Unions, who would impose programs that failed in the West.

Political organizers, split the people in two with a two party system, keep them apart, and in the West, then steal everything.

The West is doing what it always has, trying to gain raw materials, markets, and be a King maker in other people's countries. Afganistan is a fine example.

I do not see Iraq as a model of good government, they are only waiting till the Americans leave, then civil war. Most of them are the same religion as Iran, which is less than a hundred miles from Bagdad. It is going to be West Iran soon.

China is winning because they do not care what you think. They are not looking for client states, or alliances, just trade. They are cash rich and growing rapidly.

There are a lot of people who do not want to follow the example of the west. A lot are in the west and follow the news. Others have a culture of long standing, and have read Anthropology and seen what happens to people who lose their culture. Their culture may not be perfect, they are humans, but the same can be said of the west.

Where we had a recession, Somalia has a famine. There is a slight difference of outcome.

The one goal of China has to be unity. The People are One, as it used to say on our money till it was replaced by, In God We Trust.

China is going to be the country that holds the world together in the future. Rising standards of living come before optional belief systems.

China is playing the part of an adult.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 12:57 am

Inventor wrote:
I think you get your information on China from newscorp.

Party Members, Bankers, Business owners, have been taken out and shot, after trial of course.

Politicans, Bankers, and Businesses in the west find this horrible. They are an elite that should never be treated as common criminals.

China restricts freedom, and will not let Missionaries in. All Missionaries are spies, and are out to undermine all local governments. It is what they do. The results have been ugly wherever they went.

The same goes for Western Unions, who would impose programs that failed in the West.

Political organizers, split the people in two with a two party system, keep them apart, and in the West, then steal everything.

The West is doing what it always has, trying to gain raw materials, markets, and be a King maker in other people's countries. Afganistan is a fine example.

I do not see Iraq as a model of good government, they are only waiting till the Americans leave, then civil war. Most of them are the same religion as Iran, which is less than a hundred miles from Bagdad. It is going to be West Iran soon.

China is winning because they do not care what you think. They are not looking for client states, or alliances, just trade. They are cash rich and growing rapidly.

There are a lot of people who do not want to follow the example of the west. A lot are in the west and follow the news. Others have a culture of long standing, and have read Anthropology and seen what happens to people who lose their culture. Their culture may not be perfect, they are humans, but the same can be said of the west.

Where we had a recession, Somalia has a famine. There is a slight difference of outcome.

The one goal of China has to be unity. The People are One, as it used to say on our money till it was replaced by, In God We Trust.

China is going to be the country that holds the world together in the future. Rising standards of living come before optional belief systems.

China is playing the part of an adult.

Sounds like you are advocating a dictatorship, which is always what one party rule is.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 8:59 pm

I never heard that when it was our man in power.

I have been calling for an American Dictator, to end the gridlock and deals in Washington. The Greeks and Romans had the same problem and giving total power to one man for five years fixed it.

The mess we are in is because Congress has been bought.

Government by Lobbiests is not my view of good government.

In a two party system thieves make the laws.

Enough people are alienated to form a third party, A People's Republic.

Perhaps the Chinese would sub contract the job.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 6:45 am

Fnord wrote:
Let me get this straight ... according to "progressive" media sources:

Rupert Murdoch is evil for owning an organization that bribed police to hack private telephone conversations.

I think we can all agree that this hacking was wrong.

Quote:
Julian Assange not evil for owning an organization that hacked top secret governmental and diplomatic emails.

This isn't what Assange did, so... not evil on this count, at the very least.

Quote:
Gary McKinnon is not evil for hacking 97 United States military and NASA computers.

Very few people have argued that McKinnon's actions weren't wrong- the objections I saw were mostly to the heavy-handed response against him, including retroactive application of harsher penalties than were in place when the crimes were committed.

Quote:
China is not evil for violating copyright laws and for owning the people that hacked Google.

I'm not sure what specific instance you're referring to, but yes the PRC is evil for many different reasons.