Iran implicated in attempted terror plot in US

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

Authorities foiled a plot that was directed by factions of the Iranian government to bomb the Israeli and Saudi Arabian embassies in Washington and a plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States, Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday at a press conference.

The criminal complaint, which unsealed in federal court in New York City Tuesday, identified the two alleged plotters as Manssor Arbabsiar and Gholam Shakuri, both with ties to Iran, Reuters reported. Arbabsiar has been jailed in New York since September and Shakuri remains at large.

The complaint alleges that Iran helped conceived, sponsored and directed from Iran. Holder called the alleged plot was a "flagrant violation of US and international law" and the U.S. will hold Iran accountable.

FBI Director Robert Mueller says many lives could have been lost in the plot to kill the ambassador with bombs in the U.S.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/11/ir ... z1aV4zdzY7

Also saw part of the News Conference, things could get ugly. Though I would count on the Saudis and Israel to take action over our President doing so.

Samarda
Raven
Raven

11 Oct 2011, 1:50 pm

Last edited by Samarda on 13 Oct 2011, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 1:33 am

I'm rather surprised that people aren't at all concerned about this.

Top that off from a cynical side, it looks like the Obama administration was trying to sweep this under the rug until they had to let this story come out to distract from Fast & Furious.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 9:06 am

Inuyasha wrote:

Top that off from a cynical side, it looks like the Obama administration was trying to sweep this under the rug until they had to let this story come out to distract from Fast & Furious.

You have no proof of your assertions about Obama being bad like you always say. no sources, no links, nothing.

By the way the theocratic and religiously-motivated Iranian Government is twisted like that, and I am happy that the Saudi guy didn't die.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 12:10 pm

Just another example of how outsourcing is leading to underemployment of Americans.

I mean, really - are we that short of assassins in America that they had to hire a Mexican cartel? Or were they just trying to save a few bucks by using immigrant labor?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 1:54 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

You have no proof of your assertions about Obama being bad like you always say. no sources, no links, nothing.

By the way the theocratic and religiously-motivated Iranian Government is twisted like that, and I am happy that the Saudi guy didn't die.

Then why wasn't this announced on September 29th?

Arbabsiar was arrested Sept. 29 at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport and was ordered held without bail during his brief first court appearance Thursday afternoon. Prosecutors said he faces up to life in prison if convicted.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... urce%3Drss

I have also heard that Obama was briefed about this in June.
Officials said that the Saudi ambassador, Al-Jubeir, who is close to King Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz and has been in his post since 2007, was never in danger. President Barack Obama was briefed in June about the alleged plot and through a spokesman expressed gratitude for it being disrupted.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/ ... E020111011

The not having this come to light in June I can understand, but shouldn't this have been breaking news 2 weeks ago?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 5:31 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Just another example of how outsourcing is leading to underemployment of Americans.

I mean, really - are we that short of assassins in America that they had to hire a Mexican cartel? Or were they just trying to save a few bucks by using immigrant labor?

Well, the Mexican peso *is* still somewhere between $.08 and $.09 on the US dollar.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 5:51 pm

That's ominous. I would say such an attack on US soil is an act of war

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 6:07 pm

Vigilans wrote:
That's ominous. I would say such an attack on US soil is an act of war

You know who financed the 9/11 terrorist attack? Pakistan and UAE. Look which countries were invaded. IMO don't have the money to invade another country and should just stay out and worry about what's going on in our own country as far as jobs and the economy go.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm

Go see "Wag the Dog" and reconsider the matter.

I would not buy a used car from AG Holder, why should I believe this charge? Is there any independent verification?

ruveyn

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 9:09 pm

The Saudi military put down a popular democratic uprising in Bahrain during the summer, part of the Arab Spring. It involved mostly Shia and some moderate Sunni Muslim protestors who wanted to overthrow the minority Sunni Bahraini Royal family, that rule Bahrain as a monarchy-dictatorship. They occupied Pearl Square (a traffic roundabout) in tented village and called for democratic elections.

Bahrain put out propaganda claims that the uprising was instigated by Iran, which is Shia. This was denied by the protestors, who were peacefully protesting for freedom and democracy. Bahraini Royal family called the protestors puppets of Iran, fifth columnists and terrorists.

Anyway, the Bahraini Monarchy tried to end the occupation of Pearl Square using police, but that failed. The protestors were cleared out of the square for a while, but reassembled a few days later.

Then the Bahraini royal family called in the Saudis military from over the border (some troops from the United Arab Emirate were involved too). The Saudi military poured into Pearl Square, they shot and killed many peaceful protestors, kicked down doors, arrested and tortured protestors. While this was all going on...

Quote:
"Bahrain TV showed archive footage of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia and King Hamad of Bahrain performing a traditional Bedouin war dance together." - The Guardian

Also, just last week the Bahrainis jailed several medical doctors for treating the wounded & dying protestors.

Anyway, I am very skeptical of these developments ... involving a plot to assassinate a top Saudi diplomat. It could be orchestrated to prop up Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, UAE ... and indeed any other Gulf state that has an unhappy Shia majority or minority population. Saudi Arabia has a sizable Shia minority that are discriminated against, many live in poverty.

It is now far easier for these theocracies & monarchies to make a false claim that Shia protestors are puppets of Iran, fifth columnists and terrorists, given the Saudis can now claim ... thanks to good old US of A "Iran tried to kill out top diplomat in Washington!".

I wonder how many barrels of oil this deal cost?

http://bbrhuft.photium.com

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

12 Oct 2011, 10:17 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

I was wondering how you were going to twist an intelegence success that saved many lives into Obama bashing, but I see you managed.
If that man managed to sh*t gold, you would fault him for not using toilet paper.

May I remind you that clinton warned Bush of Al Quada when he took office, but Bush pretty much ignored his warning until 9/11 happened on his watch. To date, there has been no major attack on US soil during Obama's time in office and the Obama administration has fine tuned its hunt for terrorists and Al Quada is really getting its @ss kicked which is something that cant be said for Bush.

I dont really understand your logic on bashing Obama on such an intelegence success...it was two weeks ago when operation fast and furious hit the media. It probably took two weeks to decide what parts of the intelegence they were going to declassify, government buerocracy and all.
I dont find two weeks unreasonable, 6 months later or a year later would be questionable.

Not that I think Obama is all that and some, but his hunt for Al Quada is remarkable and he should get more respect for what he has done in that area. If a rebublican president had done all that Obama has done to disassemble Al Quada...you would be singing his praises, but because he is a democrat....then everything he does is sh*t even when it saves the lives of many people.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 11:27 am

I have a hard time believing this along with other "stories" the government has put out. An ex-CIA member Bob Baer claims that there is no evidence to point to Iran being behind the plot, but of course, he's ex-CIA, and this will probably be fodder for the sequel to his last book, so why should I believe him?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 11:46 pm

@ jojobean

I just find the timing a little too conveinent if you look at what was happening to Eric Holder and the Justice Department over Fast & Furious...