El Hierro (Canary Islands) is Erupting

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 12:03 am

El Heirro, the smallest of the Canary Islands has started to erupt. Not much to see, the current eruption is on the sea floor, about 600 to 1000 meters deep and a few kilometers off shore. However, the eruption could move north, on shore in the next days or weeks. Authorities have evacuated 500 people from a coastal village on the south of the Island, that's closest to the eruption.

Here is a link where the volcanic activity is monitored:

El Hierro Volcanic Activity

Irish Weather Online is also doing a good job of explaining what's happening:

Irish Weather Online - News and Irish Weather Online - News

There was 9,600 earthquakes since June, and the entire island grew like a gigantic blister, it swelled by 3.5 centimeters as the magma chamber, 11 to 18 km underground, filled up with magma.

I don't know how long this eruption will last. An eruption on Lanzarote (one of the Canary Islands) lasted for 6 years, from 1730 to 1736, that eruption caused a severe famine. The authorities didn't evacuate the island for political reasons.

There's lots of speculation that El Hierro might collapse into the sea, cause a giant landslide and mega-tsunami. However, a colleague of mine did his PhD on the subject of La Palma and landslides (a nearby Island). He told me, if El Hierro ever collapsed, and that's highly unlikely, it would collapse towards the east and send a tsunami towards a very sparsely populated part of North Africa.

http://bbrhuft.photium.com

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 3:31 am

Awesome. I hope that giant tsunami doesnt happen though....

Taking a break.

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 7:29 pm

It's quite scary, as the volcano does not have a cone at the top where the lava comes out. Anywhere on the island could have erupted. Literally, someone could have discovered a volcano in their garden.

Thankfully it's off shore this time and deep underwater, so far the only causalities are some fish. Hope it stays that way.

I read they might send remote controlled submarine to see what's happening. They might see something like this... an underwater volcano...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V36LnXI37Vw&t=2m10s[/youtube]

http://bbrhuft.photium.com

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

12 Oct 2011, 10:52 pm

I have always thought volcanoes are earth pimples. :D

I glad everyone is safe, I hope no famine, tsnami, or finding volcanos in one's garden...although I heard of that happening before.

Jojo

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 11:14 pm

Not that many people visit that particular island (it's the smallest I think) so there really isn't much to see.

Yet another excuse to ignore the Canary Islands as a holiday destination this year.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 6:22 am

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 10:33 am

As long as La Palma does not slide into the sea. If that happens it is good bye to the Atlantic coast of the United States and Canada. A Tsunami the likes of which has not been seen in historic times will hit the East Coast in about five hours after La Palma go.l I live inland but I will have travel at least 120 miles past the Pocanoe mountains of Pennsylvania to avoid drowning.

ruveyn

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2011, 11:30 pm

Here are some interesting pictures:

Photo Gallery: The Growing Undersea Mountain off El Hierro
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotos ... 74922.html