bus driver freaks out at guy with "mild autism"

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dancing_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Nov 2011, 8:12 pm

This happened over the weekend, and is relevant to this forum as the guy that was verbally assaulted by the bus driver is being referred to as "autistic," apparently due to self identification.
link

The original video is available here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK0TqvDPH8s[/youtube]

I'm not the betting type, but I'd bet you $5 that the bus driver thought he and the other guy were the only 2 people on the bus at that time. Yay for cell phone cameras!

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 8:15 pm

I wonder what he said to the bus driver. I'm sure the driver has some explaining to do. It's possible that the passenger is schizophrenic.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 8:42 pm

Was just going to post this exact story.

Here's a news article on the incident...http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/st ... ml?cmp=rss

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Tacitus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2011, 8:42 pm

I hope the driver was fired. What an a**hole!

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2011, 9:09 pm

Not surprised the bus driver did that. I've seen plenty of unprofessional drivers. I hope he gets fired too (though I doubt he will).

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 4:14 am

Twolf wrote:
Not surprised the bus driver did that. I've seen plenty of unprofessional drivers. I hope he gets fired too (though I doubt he will).

While I've certainly met some very nice bus drivers, there does seem to be a higher incident of rudeness amongst them. Or occasionally, they'll be rude and polite at the same time. For example, I arrived at a stop a few seconds after the driver closed the door, and when I flagged him, he did let me on board (after what seemed like a moment of indecisiveness), however, when I thanked him, he ignored me, and he only marginally acknowledged me later when I told him to have a nice day upon exiting.

I also recall being on a bus where the driver, an African American woman, blatantly ignored all the white passengers who greeted her but gave very warm welcomes to the black ones even if they didn't say anything to her.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 4:36 am

Who the hell uses cakehole these days? I dropped that back at primary school!
Still, I wouldn't say he deserves to be fired - this is a reccession, jobs are hard to come by.
I'd say give him a month's voluntary work at a autistic school, either he'll learn or he doesn't want the job, simple as that.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 12:09 pm

J-Greens wrote:
Who the hell uses cakehole these days? I dropped that back at primary school!
Still, I wouldn't say he deserves to be fired - this is a reccession, jobs are hard to come by.
I'd say give him a month's voluntary work at a autistic school, either he'll learn or he doesn't want the job, simple as that.

Oh boo-hoo "jobs are hard to come by". That dickhead need to get fired to learn that as*holes are replaced by non-assholes.

as*holes are not worthy of dealing with customers and instead should work with cleaning dogshit of the streets at $2/hour until they learn to respect other people.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 12:42 pm

Discipline is a matter between management, the employee and the employee's representative.

I am always somewhat uncomfortable when we seek to intrude on that. That's not to say that we can't have opinions about it--and of course we can express them. But at some point the proper answer to public inquiry has to be, "we're not going to talk about this specific incident, but let's talk about how we are going to try to prevent anything like it happening again."

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 5:16 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Discipline is a matter between management, the employee and the employee's representative.

I am always somewhat uncomfortable when we seek to intrude on that. That's not to say that we can't have opinions about it--and of course we can express them. But at some point the proper answer to public inquiry has to be, "we're not going to talk about this specific incident, but let's talk about how we are going to try to prevent anything like it happening again."

No offence but that's advocating censorship or self-censorship of opinion. People have a right to talk seriously on any matter.

Also how do you credibly know how to stop something bad happening if you don't know the facts of its occurence? Can you explain?

number2
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2011, 10:20 pm

dancing_penguin wrote:
This happened over the weekend, and is relevant to this forum as the guy that was verbally assaulted by the bus driver is being referred to as "autistic," apparently due to self identification.
link

The original video is available here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK0TqvDPH8s[/youtube]

I'm not the betting type, but I'd bet you $5 that the bus driver thought he and the other guy were the only 2 people on the bus at that time. Yay for cell phone cameras!

Holly f**k if I were that kid and that f*****g as*hole was yelling at me I would freak out and try to take over the bus.

Drifter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Nov 2011, 12:08 pm

sgrannel wrote:
I wonder what he said to the bus driver.

From a news article I read stated that the autistic man was pushing the call button for every stop.

That gives me a little more sympathy towards the bus driver. Cause that would piss me off too.

I wish that people would refrain from making snap judgments about the driver or the autistic man. None of us know the context that the video occurs in. we don't know all the facts. Maybe the the driver is a bigoted as*hole. OR maybe he was just having have a bad day and lost control. We can't know just from one video.

I have had people make these kind of snap-judgments made about me all my life because of my autism. I will not tolerate such actions just because the victim is someone with whom I identify with.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 12:52 pm

I'll be honest, there's a lot of stuff flying around right now over the circumstances. But the fact remains is whether the circumstances were enough for the Bus Driver to reasonably expalin why he should have become angry.

I don't think that pressing the button for every stop was enough. Maybe like very second, but the fact was that he was up there with the Bus driver. It seems unlikely.

In any case if he wasn't then I think the company should rip him a new one.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 1:18 pm

Gedrene wrote:
No offence but that's advocating censorship or self-censorship of opinion. People have a right to talk seriously on any matter.

Also how do you credibly know how to stop something bad happening if you don't know the facts of its occurence? Can you explain?

I have never denied that people have right to talk about it, and indeed they should talk about it.

But the public are not entitled to participate in the disciplinary process and the public are not entitled to a result from that process.

I don't think that an employer has a right to talk about the discipline that has been meted out to an employee. I don't think that the mob's demand for this driver's head should be acceded to. The public is entitled to know that there is a process to address incidents like this. They are entitled to know that a hearing is taking place. They are entitled to know that the hearing has found (or has not found) grounds for discpline. But the form that the discipline takes is another matter, altogether.

Is this a disciplinary matter? Certainly there is a prima facie case that it is. But that does not mean that it still will be in the light of the totality of circumstance.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 2:20 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

I have never denied that people have right to talk about it, and indeed they should talk about it.

But the public are not entitled to participate in the disciplinary process and the public are not entitled to a result from that process.
Of course they are not entitled to be able to control things that are essentially a matter of company competence, unless of course the results of the case lead to an outcome that is unacceptable on moral grounds.

visagrunt wrote:
I don't think that an employer has a right to talk about the discipline that has been meted out to an employee. I don't think that the mob's demand for this driver's head should be acceded to. The public is entitled to know that there is a process to address incidents like this. They are entitled to know that a hearing is taking place. They are entitled to know that the hearing has found (or has not found) grounds for discpline. But the form that the discipline takes is another matter, altogether.
All people are entitled to know the facts of this case from evidence to opinion to outcome and all. What they should not do however is trample over other people with any mob-like intent by forcing mob rule. You are fearing an angry outpouring and violence that may never come. That sort of supposition is dangerous in itself.
If one decides a public cannot be competent in its reaction when receiving information it demands to know then you sow the seeds that make them not only incompetent but childish. Any member of the public should of course not expect to run roughshod over others themselves.

visagrunt wrote:
Is this a disciplinary matter? Certainly there is a prima facie case that it is. But that does not mean that it still will be in the light of the totality of circumstance.
Personally I do think this needs to be investigated, but of course I do not think the information is definitive enough to make a judgement myself. Given the information I have though, I think I can tell what the outcomes will be according to what extra information is proven and given.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 4:22 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Of course they are not entitled to be able to control things that are essentially a matter of company competence, unless of course the results of the case lead to an outcome that is unacceptable on moral grounds.

By whose morality? I think that is an unenforcable standard. If the employer or the employee are dissatisfied with the result, they are free to petition administrative tribunals or the courts for remedy on legal grounds. But I am very uncomfortable with the intrusion of 'moral' standards into the legal relationship between employer and employee.

Quote:
All people are entitled to know the facts of this case from evidence to opinion to outcome and all. What they should not do however is trample over other people with any mob-like intent by forcing mob rule. You are fearing an angry outpouring and violence that may never come. That sort of supposition is dangerous in itself.
If one decides a public cannot be competent in its reaction when receiving information it demands to know then you sow the seeds that make them not only incompetent but childish. Any member of the public should of course not expect to run roughshod over others themselves.

I think we are already seeing an angry outpouring of opinion and it is that anger (not the possibility of violence) that disturbs me. Angry citizens tend to make demands of politicians who, in turn, make demands of public employers.

At what point does the employee's right to privacy prevail over the public's right to information? Is the right to privacy completely eroded in the face of a public demand for information? I think that is a wanton circumstance.

Quote:
Personally I do think this needs to be investigated, but of course I do not think the information is definitive enough to make a judgement myself. Given the information I have though, I think I can tell what the outcomes will be according to what extra information is proven and given.

I agree with you here.