Pew: Romney Leads By 4 In Post-Debate Survey

Page 4 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Blue_Jackets_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2012, 4:01 pm

GetBusy wrote:
Capitalism relies on greed, it's what drives it. It is a massive confidence trick, when that confidence goes the whole edifice starts wobbling.

It suits us because it suits our nature. It makes me laugh to hear people blaming the bankers and the rich for all the trouble, when the vast majority of people would behave exactly the same in their position.

Those that wouldn't behave that way would never get in that position in the first place, because they are not driven by greed.

The idea that America/UK/Euro-zone can independently control their own economies is just farcical, What is needed is global control and that will never happen, because it's not in our nature.

Democracy means that no government/party is ever going to be elected, if it says it is going to allow how much it spends/ taxes to be set by an outside controlling body.

It's not worth worrying about, either confidence will return or the whole edifice will crumble, long term thats inevitable anyway ( it's just not sustainable long term). I just hope I'm not around to see it.

Either way you and I will have no influence on it. Voting is just a waste of Time.

Be Happy :D

If you hate capitalism so much you can always move to Cuba.

Vatnos
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2012, 4:57 pm

Blue_Jackets_fan wrote:

Likewise, if you want your capitalism as unfettered by government influence as possible, you're welcome to move to Somalia.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 6:30 pm

Vatnos wrote:
Blue_Jackets_fan wrote:

Likewise, if you want your capitalism as unfettered by government influence as possible, you're welcome to move to Somalia.

Capitalism rests firmly on laws, contracts and property rights which are non-existent in Somalia. Somalia is for all practical purposes anarchic.

ruveyn

Vatnos
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2012, 12:29 am

ruveyn wrote:
Capitalism rests firmly on laws, contracts and property rights which are non-existent in Somalia. Somalia is for all practical purposes anarchic.

Laws, contracts, and property rights are just the big government nanny state crushing our liberties. Let's let the markets take care of those.

:roll:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 12:32 am

Vatnos wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Laws, contracts, and property rights are just the big government nanny state crushing our liberties. Let's let the markets take care of those.

:roll:

Funny how the government that protects legal contracts and ensures property rights that's so important to the right is the same government the right despises.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 12:46 am

Yeah! If I invest in a big gun and use it to acquire your property why should the government stop me?

That's just the nanny state crushing my entrepreneurial spirit and regulating me out of business! :evil:

GetBusy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Oct 2012, 1:04 am

Vatnos wrote:
Blue_Jackets_fan wrote:

I don't Hate anything. The people in Somalia and Cuba are the same as people everywhere else. Just as greedy, just as selfish, just as likely to fight or Vote for the first person that stands up and tells them that they are different/special and deserve more because of it. :D

Take a look at the World, all the facts and technological achievements, the understanding of where we come from and how things work and yet as a spices we are going backward, more politician's, more countries, more division. It won't belong before we are back where we started, living in small tribes, trying to beat the lot in the next valley to death. :D

Communism doesn't work because it does not suit our nature, that has been proved. :D

Unlike me you still feel the need to define yourself by your ethnicity/religion or political beliefs. :D

Like me you live in a country that is luckily moving backward more slowly, unlike Rwanda/Yugoslavia\Syria etc. So with a bit of luck our next door neighbours won't becoming round to chop us to bits because we belong to a different tribe. :D

We are powerless to stop this slide, accepting that is the route to happiness (and not watching the news). :D

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. :D

Be Happy. :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 1:12 am

GetBusy wrote:
Vatnos wrote:
Blue_Jackets_fan wrote:

I don't Hate anything. The people in Somalia and Cuba are the same as people everywhere else. Just as greedy, just as selfish, just as likely to fight or Vote for the first person that stands up and tells them that they are different/special and deserve more because of it. :D

Take a look at the World, all the facts and technological achievements, the understanding of where we come from and how things work and yet as a spices we are going backward, more politician's, more countries, more division. It won't belong before we are back where we started, living in small tribes, trying to beat the lot in the next valley to death. :D

Communism doesn't work because it does not suit our nature, that has been proved. :D

Unlike me you still feel the need to define yourself by your ethnicity/religion or political beliefs. :D

Like me you live in a country that is luckily moving backward more slowly, unlike Rwanda/Yugoslavia\Syria etc. So with a bit of luck our next door neighbours won't becoming round to chop us to bits because we belong to a different tribe. :D

We are powerless to stop this slide, accepting that is the route to happiness (and not watching the news). :D

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. :D

Be Happy. :D

I will! :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 11:15 pm

on today's #2 debate, obama performed much better. if only he coulda pulled this one outta the hat the first time. :hmph: my only suggestion to him would be to slow down a bit and lower his vocal pitch, he sounded a bit on edge above his natural [professorial-sounding] baritone vocal register.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 11:51 pm

auntblabby wrote:
on today's #2 debate, obama performed much better. if only he coulda pulled this one outta the hat the first time. :hmph: my only suggestion to him would be to slow down a bit and lower his vocal pitch, he sounded a bit on edge above his natural [professorial-sounding] baritone vocal register.

Do you think he won this round?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 12:18 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

nominally, on factual rebuttals if not presentation. but it must be seen in light of the first debate, which makes it in my eyes a draw. the third debate is where he must really shine, with a more relaxed, professorial and smooth demeanor combined with sharp on-point rebuttals of slick willard [romney's given first name].

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 5:56 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
JBlitzen wrote:
Guaranteed work with benefits? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Just what you said. Someone here on WP had said in Sweden, when someone isn't able to find work, they are given jobs like fixing cobblestones on public roads and walkways. That way, everyone pretty much has full employment, and there is a steady tax base. I can't see why such a thing isn't enacted here in the USA.

I don't think full employment has ever happened here. The normal unemployment rate is 4-6%.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 8:02 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

I don't think full employment has ever happened here. The normal unemployment rate is 4-6%.

During more robust times, the 4 percent were people who had quit or had been fired from one job and looking for another. There is often a lag between leaving one job and finding another. Also people who were forced to leave their jobs because of illness or accident. If they are still looking to work when they recover, they are counted as unemployed.

This is far different from the steady stater 8 percent (that is the "official figure") unemployment. If you count discouraged workers who have stopped looking the unemployment rate is more like 15 percent.

ruveyn

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 8:42 am

^^^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure I heard Romney say he wanted to get that number up to 47%.... You know how much he likes to fire people. :wink:

Vatnos
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2012, 9:43 am

ruveyn wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

During more robust times, the 4 percent were people who had quit or had been fired from one job and looking for another. There is often a lag between leaving one job and finding another. Also people who were forced to leave their jobs because of illness or accident. If they are still looking to work when they recover, they are counted as unemployed.

This is far different from the steady stater 8 percent (that is the "official figure") unemployment. If you count discouraged workers who have stopped looking the unemployment rate is more like 15 percent.

ruveyn

Yes the real unemployment numbers are and have always been higher than 10%. We don't count the 2.8 million Americans in prison as unemployed. We don't count students who have graduated and couldn't find jobs as unemployed. We also aren't accounting for underemployment--people with advanced degrees who are flipping burgers 3 days a week because they can't find real jobs.

Our country has always cooked its unemployment numbers.

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

nominally, on factual rebuttals if not presentation. but it must be seen in light of the first debate, which makes it in my eyes a draw. the third debate is where he must really shine, with a more relaxed, professorial and smooth demeanor combined with sharp on-point rebuttals of slick willard [romney's given first name].

Obama did better this round than he did in the last. In terms of presentation, his eye contact, body posture, and "uhms" and "ahs" were corrected, and he was more assertive in addressing Romney, and responded (pretty well I think) to Romney's accusations instead of sitting there with a dumb look on his face. There were a few points where Romney was visibly frustrated.

There were exchanges Romney clearly lost. If you had asked me before the debate to bet if the Libya questions were going to hurt Obama, I surely would've thought so. Instead, if anything, it gave him the best chance to humanize himself. Romney walked into a bear trap with "he didn't refer to it as an act of terror", to which the moderator corrected immediately, and the audience applauded.

Personally, I don't feel like the first round was the shut out people complain about it being. I think that the media's interpretation of a debate matters more than the content of the actual debate. The candidates are really selling themselves to the media, not the voters. Obama made no major errors, no major gaffes. He let Romney control the pace and content of the debate, but Romney never had any "Aha!" moments. Both of them basically recited talking points.

This debate was not much different. All Obama changed was his delivery, and just like that the media perception went from him losing to winning. Both of them basically went through their talking points. Romney seems to think liking coal will get him votes. Obama seems to think cutting corporate tax rates will do anything for the economy (Canada already tried that. It didn't work).

Last time, I said that Romney lost but Obama lost more...
This time I think Obama lost, and Romney lost more. Neither of them changed my mind on any issues, and technically I am an "independent voter". Romney was still completely full of it. He suggested dropping the Capital Gains tax for individuals making less than $250,000 a year. I feel that Obama could have simply won the election right there by pointing out it would bring Romney's tax rate to 0%, as he himself makes no income and relies on investment earnings to maintain his wealth.

I felt that the Biden/Ryan debate was the best and most one-sided so far (with Biden dominating, even if he was a bit of an ass). One of the few enjoyable debates I've ever seen.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 7:32 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
^^^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure I heard Romney say he wanted to get that number up to 47%.... You know how much he likes to fire people. :wink:

You do realize that Romney gives more of his income to charity (talking about percentage) than Biden and Obama combined, hell there are quite a few people that make significantly less money than Biden and still give more money (in raw dollar amount) than Biden.

The real person that doesn't care about the poor is Joe Biden.