Chick-Fil-a to stop supporting anti-gay organizations.

Page 1 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

PM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 1:32 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chi ... tml?_esi=1

While the executives of this organization have a right to believe whatever they want, they realized that such statements bought them tons of negative press.

I have said it once before, and I will say it again: Food Service + Politics= A complete disaster.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 2:13 pm

Hallelujah!! !! !!

1. This will make Chick-Fil-A more in line with what the Christian faith is really about. The Bible tells you to love thy neighbor.

2. I can eat there again! I have been staying away from the place, even with the food as good as it is, because of their financial contributions to anti-gay groups.

3. It's best that their charitable arm be apolitical, in order not to alienate one side or the other.

AQ: 33

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 4:18 pm

I live in Canada and have yet to fully understand this stupid story. I never even heard of a place called Chick-Fil-A until now. Almost sounds like a stripper's joint. Only in the USA. :roll:

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 5:50 pm

Assuming this story is true (the media already lied about this once), this is a sad day for this country, where people are being denied their 1st amendment rights, both when it comes to freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

I really don't see Chik-fil-a making that kind of statement though unless people were actually threatened with physical violence. Considering the last confrontation over this actually caused them to have record sales because people have had enough of Left Wing Political Correctness.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Assuming this story is true (the media already lied about this once), this is a sad day for this country, where people are being denied their 1st amendment rights, both when it comes to freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

I really don't see Chik-fil-a making that kind of statement though unless people were actually threatened with physical violence. Considering the last confrontation over this actually caused them to have record sales because people have had enough of Left Wing Political Correctness.

Nobody was denied free speech. The chik-fil-a CEO freely said what he wanted, and a bunch of people freely chose to stop eating at his restaurant, and then he freely decided that it wasn't worth the loss in profit.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 11:01 pm

Tensu wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Nobody was denied free speech. The chik-fil-a CEO freely said what he wanted, and a bunch of people freely chose to stop eating at his restaurant, and then he freely decided that it wasn't worth the loss in profit.

They weren't losing much in the way of business, I'm more inclined to believe there was harassment involved. Especially after that shooting in DC.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2012, 11:32 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Tensu wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

They weren't losing much in the way of business, I'm more inclined to believe there was harassment involved. Especially after that shooting in DC.

That's true, one CFA in my area was actually vandalized with "Tastes like Hate" spray painted on. It's one thing to express one's freedom to boycott some business you don't agree with, but vandalism is completely wrong.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Tensu wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Who says Chick-fil-a weren't losing that much business? Chick-fil-a? A large percentage of their customers had to have been not just good ol' boy homophobes, but also people concerned about gay rights - including gay people.
Goes to show you their real God isn't Jesus Christ, but but the almighty dollar.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 11:45 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Tensu wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Who says Chick-fil-a weren't losing that much business? Chick-fil-a? A large percentage of their customers had to have been not just good ol' boy homophobes, but also people concerned about gay rights - including gay people.
Goes to show you their real God isn't Jesus Christ, but but the almighty dollar.

Since you missed what someone else posted...

ADoyle90815 wrote:
That's true, one CFA in my area was actually vandalized with "Tastes like Hate" spray painted on. It's one thing to express one's freedom to boycott some business you don't agree with, but vandalism is completely wrong.

That's not including bomb threats to some other CFAs, then there was the shooting in DC, top that off there was already one phony report like this before. Not to mention from what I've read Chicago Politicians are involved in this, so that ups the likelihood that actual intimidation and threats were being used.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 11:51 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Tensu wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Since you missed what someone else posted...

ADoyle90815 wrote:

That's not including bomb threats to some other CFAs, then there was the shooting in DC, top that off there was already one phony report like this before. Not to mention from what I've read Chicago Politicians are involved in this, so that ups the likelihood that actual intimidation and threats were being used.

And they were losing money. A bunch of dollar signs crowded out the cross. Or at their perception of what the cross is supposed to stand for.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

19 Sep 2012, 11:58 pm

It is one thing for the CEO of Chick Fil A to say he is against gay marriage, but giving large sums of money to organizations that cause harm to LGBT folks is not free speech, but funding hate groups under the guise of freedom of religion. What if he funded the KKK or something like that and declared that freedom of religion allows him to do so?

In the civil rights era, segregation was considered a freedom of religion stance, and many of the churches preached against desegregation and even taught that only Caucasians have souls and only they go to heaven because some interpation of the bible said so. Preachers taught that the bible declared that all people of color are evil and go to hell.

See any parallels here between the treatment of African Americans then and LGBT people nowdays. Religious justified hate is still hate and is very unchristlike. According to the gospels, Jesus hung out with sinners and those shunned by their culture and he rejected the religious institutions of his time, he fed to the poor, healed the sick, casted out demons, Face it folks, Jesus was a tree hugging hippie liberal.

Jojo

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 12:10 am

jojobean wrote:
It is one thing for the CEO of Chick Fil A to say he is against gay marriage, but giving large sums of money to organizations that cause harm to LGBT folks is not free speech, but funding hate groups under the guise of freedom of religion. What if he funded the KKK or something like that and declared that freedom of religion allows him to do so?

In the civil rights era, segregation was considered a freedom of religion stance, and many of the churches preached against desegregation and even taught that only Caucasians have souls and only they go to heaven because some interpation of the bible said so. Preachers taught that the bible declared that all people of color are evil and go to hell.

See any parallels here between the treatment of African Americans then and LGBT people nowdays. Religious justified hate is still hate and is very unchristlike. According to the gospels, Jesus hung out with sinners and those shunned by their culture and he rejected the religious institutions of his time, he fed to the poor, healed the sick, casted out demons, Face it folks, Jesus was a tree hugging hippie liberal.

Jojo

He certainly had the hair and beard of a hippy. :lol:

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Sep 2012, 1:14 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
jojobean wrote:

Jojo

He certainly had the hair and beard of a hippy. :lol:

see undeniable evidence :wink:

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 2:25 am

jojobean wrote:

Jojo

In the case of people shunned for bad behavior, Jesus never approved of such people's actions. He associated with them and used a gentle manner to encourage repentance. He didn't tell Levi/Matthew or Mary Magdaline to join him and not to worry about changing what they had been doing- he inspired them to live differently. Just because Jesus didn't run around with giant signs saying "God hates fags" or hates anything else for that matter, but he did inspire people to believe in him and adopt a strict moral code in it's own right.

Socially, Jesus was very conservative, supported close personal relationships and taking personal initiative to help each other. Economically He wasn't all that concerned with how it was set up as long as money was not getting used to abuse people. I'm not sure there is a government or a society on the planet right now that matches that model- especially the latter half.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 3:27 am

John_Browning wrote:
jojobean wrote:

Jojo

In the case of people shunned for bad behavior, Jesus never approved of such people's actions. He associated with them and used a gentle manner to encourage repentance. He didn't tell Levi/Matthew or Mary Magdaline to join him and not to worry about changing what they had been doing- he inspired them to live differently. Just because Jesus didn't run around with giant signs saying "God hates fags" or hates anything else for that matter, but he did inspire people to believe in him and adopt a strict moral code in it's own right.

Socially, Jesus was very conservative, supported close personal relationships and taking personal initiative to help each other. Economically He wasn't all that concerned with how it was set up as long as money was not getting used to abuse people. I'm not sure there is a government or a society on the planet right now that matches that model- especially the latter half.

I honestly from the bottom of my heart do not see homosexuality as a sin. There has been a ten year longitudinal study that documented homosexuality in many species of mammals. Most animals dont have a moral compass (only some primates) but an instinctive compass, therefore, animals are unable to sin because they dont know right from wrong. Homosexuality is just nature's way of attempting to control populations.
Christianity in the dark ages was mostly inspired and lead by celibate monks. The monks chose celibacy because it was cheaper than feeding children and providing for families at a time when poverty was extreeme. Then the church took the reins from the monks and developed an elaborate system of mass mind control and being totally obsessed with people's private sexual lives. Much of these mentalities carried over into Protestantism and endure today. It is certainly not what the biblical Jesus intended.

No offense, but how are close personal relationships and people helping each other very conservative? I lived in hippie communes that operated like that.
However, I agree that we should adopt what you say about Jesus' economic policy, but the pursuit of power often draws those with ethical issues like moths to a flame.
Our only hope is that one day people will tire of all the pain people cause each other and decide to become the peace we all desire.
Sometimes I fall short.

Jojo

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 12:20 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

No one has suggested that Dan Cathy cannot speak as he likes, or believe as he likes. He is as free today as he was yesterday to say and believe whatever he likes.

What has been demonstrated is that free speech has consequences. Free speech does not mean immunity from the consequences of that speech. Free speech does not limit the free expression and freedom of association of those who hear or hear of that free speech. He has been denied nothing, but he has learned that the exercise of his freedom carries a price.

As for your ridiculous notion about threats of physical violence, that is yet more agitprop. You are, of course, perfectly free to carry on in beliefs that only an ignorant, callow fool would share. But in expressing such stupidity, bear in mind that there is a price to pay--your reputation.

Once you could be relied upon to be partisan, but to be grounded in some degree of realism in your partisanship. Now you are just making stuff up as you go along. I used to have some grudging respect for you--but you are frittering that away very quickly.