The opposite effects of social rejection

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Ketutar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2012, 3:27 am

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 114634.htm

"For people who already feel separate from the crowd, social rejection can be a form of validation. For such people, that distinction is a positive one leading them to greater creativity.
Social rejection has the opposite effect on people who value belonging to a group: It inhibits their cognitive ability."

So - being ND and ostracized will made the cognitive difficulties even worse, but when the ND realize they will never be accepted in a group of NTs, but are still beautiful individuals, valuable in their own uniqueness, they change from being "cognitively inhibited" to being independent and creative...

I have been trying to "fit in", "be accepted" for the last 40 years. It might be because I'm a woman, it might be because I'm a human, but... lately I've been reading things like this that make me convinced of that I was never meant to "fit in" or "be accepted", adjust who I am, learn to follow the social game rules that don't make any sense... when I could have ignored the f-ing thing the whole time, be me and be creative, and perhaps even achieve something...

I'm a little mad - at the society with its stupid expectations of "socialization", at me for trying for this long, but I'm also excited by the idea of that I could blame the rejection of my cognitive problems... or the fear of rejection. I haven't even checked if I behave differently when I'm alone or in "safe" social environment, but thinking back now... I think I do.

LoonyYid
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Nov 2012, 1:33 pm

Ketutar wrote:
"For people who already feel separate from the crowd, social rejection can be a form of validation. For such people, that distinction is a positive one leading them to greater creativity.
Social rejection has the opposite effect on people who value belonging to a group: It inhibits their cognitive ability."

So - being ND and ostracized will made the cognitive difficulties even worse, but when the ND realize they will never be accepted in a group of NTs, but are still beautiful individuals, valuable in their own uniqueness, they change from being "cognitively inhibited" to being independent and creative...

I have been trying to "fit in", "be accepted" for the last 40 years. It might be because I'm a woman, it might be because I'm a human, but... lately I've been reading things like this that make me convinced of that I was never meant to "fit in" or "be accepted", adjust who I am, learn to follow the social game rules that don't make any sense... when I could have ignored the f-ing thing the whole time, be me and be creative, and perhaps even achieve something...

I'm a little mad - at the society with its stupid expectations of "socialization", at me for trying for this long, but I'm also excited by the idea of that I could blame the rejection of my cognitive problems... or the fear of rejection. I haven't even checked if I behave differently when I'm alone or in "safe" social environment, but thinking back now... I think I do.

i am so done with trying to conform to NT social norms - it doesn't work anyway - they will reject us/me anyway - so why pay a double penalty for something i have no part in causing?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 1:58 pm

Sounds good to me, just gotta try and convince myself of something like this rather than believe its a bad thing on my part not to buy into all the social norms and such.

LoonyYid
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Nov 2012, 2:33 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Sounds good to me, just gotta try and convince myself of something like this rather than believe its a bad thing on my part not to buy into all the social norms and such.

that's the hard thing though, isn't it? not believing it is a bad thing to 'reject' the social norms. after all most of us have been 'indoctrinated' to believe we are defective because we are not wired to.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/henric.c.jensen

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 8:32 am

What's ND?

LoonyYid
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Nov 2012, 12:27 pm

LennytheWicked wrote:
What's ND?

ND=NeuroDifferent - someone within the autistic spectrum, such as adhd or aspergers

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/henric.c.jensen

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 1:33 pm

LoonyYid wrote:
LennytheWicked wrote:
What's ND?

ND=NeuroDifferent - someone within the autistic spectrum, such as adhd or aspergers

I have heard it as NeuroDiverse, as in not typical.

LoonyYid
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Nov 2012, 6:56 pm

ghoti wrote:
LoonyYid wrote:
LennytheWicked wrote:
What's ND?

I have heard it as NeuroDiverse, as in not typical.

that works too :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 5:49 pm

As a kid, I was miserable because I never seemed to fit in - sometimes even with my own friends who were mostly schoolyard rejects themselves. These days, knowing that I'll never fit in with my peers, I realize I might as well be as weird and eccentric as my nature befits. My wife likes that I'm a weirdo. 8)
I am currently trying to impress on my daughter that she should be happy with who she is, regardless of how different her autism makes her.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 5:29 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
As a kid, I was miserable because I never seemed to fit in - sometimes even with my own friends who were mostly schoolyard rejects themselves. These days, knowing that I'll never fit in with my peers, I realize I might as well be as weird and eccentric as my nature befits. My wife likes that I'm a weirdo. 8)

Every blow that does not kill you, every pain and insult inflicted on you makes you stronger. Laugh Last. Laugh Loud.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 5:44 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Every blow that does not kill you, every pain and insult inflicted on you makes you stronger. Laugh Last. Laugh Loud.

ruveyn

Thank you.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 2:54 am

If there's one regret I have in life it's that I wish I had invested my resources (time, energy, money) in myself rather than in relations with other humans. I only became wiser in my forties.

But alas, we are raised by NTs (parents, counselors, teachers, the media) and for THEM living for yourself and not others is the worst that can happen to a human, so they raise us to waste our lives trying (and failing) to fit in.

I think I'll post this in the Parents' Forum...

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 1:13 pm

Ketutar wrote:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120821114634.htm

Thanks for sharing.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 9:23 am

Age and experience is bringing me to realise that fitting in, etc, isn't important. It's actually better not to be one of the crowd. I'm also learning a lot from my daughter. She doesn't give two hoots what people think about her and is a better person for it. She's different and confident. I just hope it stays with her.