Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 3:33 pm

http://gizmodo.com/5959812/john-mcafee- ... for-murder

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 5:34 pm

It's always nice to post an executive summary instead of just putting in a link.

Fortunately, I've already read something about this and so I'll be nice and do your job for you.

John McAfee is being sought as a suspect in the murder of a builder in Belize who had filed a complaint about McAfee last week because of McAfee's bizarre behavior. Assuming that is the same story I already read, it also talks about McAfee's extensive involvement with drugs and his involvement with gangsters.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 5:39 pm

eric76 wrote:
It's always nice to post an executive summary instead of just putting in a link.

I will be nicer in the future.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 5:43 pm

tall-p wrote:
eric76 wrote:

I will be nicer in the future.

Thanks.

The problem with just a link is that it becomes really indistinguishable from spam. I don't know about others, but I refuse to click on links without either quotes from the link or an executive summary about what to expect to find in the link.

If enough other people do this as well, then just posting a link would be counterproductive in efforts to communicate. Of course, I have no idea how many others also refuse to post on a link without a summary.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 6:23 pm

Hopefully he'll be brought to justice for his heinous and atrocious crimes against computing. And that whole, murder, thing.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 8:52 pm

As Belizean police combed the property of expat antivirus pioneer John McAfee Sunday afternoon, McAfee was closer than they could have known. He’d seen them coming, and says he hid — burying himself in the sand with a cardboard box over his head so he could breathe. “It was extraordinarily uncomfortable,” he says, in an exclusive interview with Wired. “But they will kill me if they find me.”

McAfee, 67, is the prime suspect in a murder discovered Sunday morning in Belize. Convinced that he’ll be killed if he’s taken into custody for questioning, the millionaire antivirus pioneer has gone into hiding somewhere in the Central American nation, where he moved in 2008 to retire. Starting at 10:30 this morning, Belize time, he has been calling to tell me his side of the story.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/1 ... 12_mcafee/

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 9:41 pm

tall-p wrote:
As Belizean police combed the property of expat antivirus pioneer John McAfee Sunday afternoon, McAfee was closer than they could have known. He’d seen them coming, and says he hid — burying himself in the sand with a cardboard box over his head so he could breathe. “It was extraordinarily uncomfortable,” he says, in an exclusive interview with Wired. “But they will kill me if they find me.”

McAfee, 67, is the prime suspect in a murder discovered Sunday morning in Belize. Convinced that he’ll be killed if he’s taken into custody for questioning, the millionaire antivirus pioneer has gone into hiding somewhere in the Central American nation, where he moved in 2008 to retire. Starting at 10:30 this morning, Belize time, he has been calling to tell me his side of the story.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/1 ... 12_mcafee/

Mr. McAfee's paranoia is likely related to his heavy drug use-he was apparently "purifying" the main ingredient in bath salts for use as a sort of date rape drug. The bath salt chemical is related chemically to amphetamine, which is known to induce paranoia. It's also possible that the drug lords he was hanging around with turned on him, and are gunning for him. He was hanging out with Belize's top crime bosses, men fully capable of killing him if they saw the need. I doubt this will affect McAfee's name being used on antivirus software-the tech community has known about this for a while, and has done nothing to back away from McAfee's name. Then again, the average Joe could read this-it's the top story on MSN-and get the wrong impression. McAfee software already has a bad rep in the tech community-the only AV that's more hated is Norton-and Intel might want to make a clean break.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 4:56 am

Luckily enough, I use Super Anti-Spyware. I don't know if I'd feel right using a murderer's program. :lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 8:50 am

I guess his antivirus doesn't provide killware protection.

Seriously, I neve liked McAfee antivirus programs anyways - they're just as bad as Norton.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 6:41 pm

Mcafee will be doing a live audio/video interview podcast with famous podcaster Joe Rogan tomorrow at 12:30PM Pacific Time. He's still on the run but doing interviews... Should be an interesting listen/watch! Where to watch: Ustream.tv/Joerogan

By the way here is his blog, it's a crazy read. http://www.whoismcafee.com/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 8:32 pm

Reminds me a bit of Julian Asange in the respect of granting interviews while on the run.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 6:55 pm

Watching the video now, very interesting so far. 30 minutes in and he seems like a decent guy so far, has his head on his shoulders, and a good sense of humour. It's sounding like he is being set up, but I'll have to watch more of this podcast to decide what I really think.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 7:16 pm

Beware of the psychopath who can wear many faces.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 7:24 pm

I am aware of that

meems
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 12:31 pm

I found him somewhat believable on the podcast, but all any of us can do is speculate.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 12:04 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwnFBmDpfK0[/youtube]

Haven't watched/listened to him yet, but uh, this whole story reminds me of that. Seriously, if I was a director, I'd make this news story into a movie.