NOT GOOD, Connecticut shooter was diagnosed with Aspergers..

Page 13 of 28 [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 28  Next

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2012, 7:31 pm

So she taught him how to use weapons and provided access to them.

If she was his only human contact, then she is solely responsible for his conduct.

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Dec 2012, 8:06 pm

Evinceo wrote:

If she was his only human contact, then she is solely responsible for his conduct.

No, he alone is solely responsible for his own conduct.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 8:29 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if she abused her sons.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 8:47 pm

Example of media sensationalism and inflammatory presentation (towards autistics) of the Newtown shooting story. This of course before there is any factual official information on what mental conditions Adam Lanza may have had. This is taken from the MailOnline the internet site of The Daily Mail (UK).

Note the stark photograph chosen and the following keywords:
troubled
loner
autistic behavior
monster
horrific
shooting

"Adam Lanza, a troubled 20-year-old loner with a history of autistic behavior,
is the monster behind a horrific shooting at a Connecticut elementary school"

Link: High school loner to cold-blooded executioner

Last edited by Toy_Soldier on 15 Dec 2012, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 8:47 pm

Clucky wrote:
The misinformation the media is spreading is utterly disgraceful; they have an obligation especially in cases like these to report the facts.
A man on Piers Morgan last night said people with Aspergers lack empathy.
Now I believe this man may have made a mistake, but it's up to CNN to correct this mistake and make it abundantly clear that this isn't the case.
This kinda of misinformation is harmful and can lead to the demonization of autistics.
A station of CNN should not be spreading such slanderous nonsense.

It would be nice if they actually had that obligation...but It doesn't typically seem like it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 8:51 pm

It is too bad someone wasn't able to reach out and affect him before this happened.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2012, 9:15 pm

alex wrote:
Evinceo wrote:

No, he alone is solely responsible for his own conduct.

We all influence eachother, we all cause things to happen. Many states have laws requiring people to lock up guns so that their children don't have access to them. To prevent children from being killed.
She failed to prevent her child from obtaining her weapons.
As a result, children where killed.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 9:22 pm

The guy is over eighteen and technically an adult, no longer a minor. She took a huge risk, however.

makaser
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2012, 9:22 pm

The thing that comes to mind for me, when I heard he may have a diagnosis of Aspergers, is the current state of services for autistic children. In school I was an outcast, a geek, nerd, whatever. Had very few friends and was considered even by those few friends to be "odd". I'm 40 years old, so no diagnosis of Aspergers existed when I was young. I was just the weird kid. My girlfriend is a behavioral therapist working with elementary aged children with autism and aspergers. So I see daily the terrible state our community is in when it comes to behavioral support for children. The schools and school districts do every thing they can to avoid providing support for these kids. I know for certain that if as a child I had been given the kind of support my girlfriend can give to her clients, it would have helped me a great deal. It is for certain a wrong headed line of thinking to say it was Aspergers syndrome that is the cause of his actions. However, the SYMPTOMS and the effect on his life and on his psyche, of those symptoms, can certainly be said to have played a part in his actions. ANYONE, who feels isolated, alone, mistreated, and humiliated will have a greater propensity towards acting out. Autism and Aspergers are not the only issues in a persons life that will bring those things on. Many neurotypical people will have the same problems in life. The difference is, most neurotypical people will have the ability to seek help and have the social connections to work their way through them. Without some kind of support, people with autism will have a larger struggle. I think that if it does in fact come to light that he had a diagnosis of autism or aspergers, it will be up to our community to use this unfortunate event to bring to light the serious need for the children of our community to have greater access to support and counseling to help them deal with the challenges of early life that so many of us struggle with.

T1nd1v1dual
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Dec 2012, 9:38 pm

Why, oh why, oh why do the (in)famous mass murderers of this year have to be mostly autistic. I'm so upset that I can hardly get emotional, which I usually feel strongly during these occasions.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2012, 9:41 pm

makaser wrote:
The thing that comes to mind for me ...

Your first post, thankyou and welcome to WrongPlanet. I see you favour quality over quantity.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 10:03 pm

I for one am going to be even more out about both my AS status and gun carrier status, as both are often misunderstood, and I intend to do my part to help dissuade the stereotypes through personal example.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 10:25 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I for one am going to be even more out about both my AS status and gun carrier status, as both are often misunderstood, and I intend to do my part to help dissuade the stereotypes through personal example.

I always try to show that I'm a responsible adult with an ASD (diagnosed at Attwood's) who owns various firearms, legally, as it's one half of my ASD interest (that's why I own them. I like shooting and firearms). It's been 11 years since I bought my first handgun and rifle (in Australia too); I've owned over a dozen since then.

I can say with 100% certainty that no one has anything to fear from me and them.

chard1973
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2012, 10:34 pm

I came across this thread via Google. I know no one of autism or aspergers. I only know what I see on Parenthood.
I am saddened and sickened by what happened.
But I wanted to comment on the thread title.
Why is it Not Good?
I don't believe and I'm sure neither does the psychiatric community that Aspergers had anything to do with the shooting.
I doubt that the govt is going to start locking up those with autism. And any sensible person shouldn't believe that those with this condition are a threat.
The shooter may have had other underlying mental problems that we may not know, yet.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 10:40 pm

Some of you may be interested in this article in response to the shooting...basically pointing out that this is not characteristic of everybody with Asperger's, while not ignoring any possible link:

Quote:
Canadian experts on autism say descriptions of Adam Lanza are classic signs of Asperger’s, a high-functioning form of the disorder.

But they are quick to point out that undiagnosed or untreated mental illness that often accompanies autism is more likely to blame for Lanza’s deadly rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School, not the condition itself.

Source: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1302948--connecticut-school-shooting-people-with-asperger-s-unlikely-to-break-the-law-experts-say

MikeW999
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2012, 11:04 pm

I am happy this thread created an excellent debate. I am enjoying the replies.