NOT GOOD, Connecticut shooter was diagnosed with Aspergers..

Page 17 of 28 [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2012, 9:14 am

Imo all this will ever come back to is this is life. Things happen whether they're small or large, there's very little anyone can do to stop anything. I don't own a gun due to my family realising I'm not stable enough to own one. Any kind of weapon I've previously owned was taken away. I'm not against people owning them at all and in my non violent/sane state, I'd like one for protection or hunting etc. Some people who own weapons can slip by unnoticed and seem perfectly normal. There's no way people can dish out yes or no to anyone. I will agree the media are to blame for a lot such as creating copycat killers and they do seem to create hysteria at times. Imo things like this happen due to many factors, no one can single out people with aspergers just because one guy may have had it, just like you can't blame people who own guns. Sure it's sad for the families right now but like I said, it's life and there's not a great deal anyone can do. You just have to hope you never have to go through it yourself or that you become that 'crazed shooter' Things like this will continue to happen long after we're all gone, it doesn't matter who or what you are. The best thing for humans is to become educated in things we know very little about and hopefully then things will become maybe a little more controlled.

Hopefully my post wasn't too confusing to read, it started sounding muddled in my head.

matchalatte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 9:31 am

I got what you were saying, NeXus_Blueliner and it's true, this is life. I personally feel like though this is reality, there is a bit we can do to shine it up. Guns don't kill people, people do -- true, but guns do make it easier to kill more people. I feel like more control in that area may minimize the damage. No, I don't think it'll stop because I feel like people are getting more violent these days, but 1 kindergartener is too much...if that guy not having been able to get his hands on an assault rifle could've saved even one of those kids, that would've made a world of a difference.

In regards to stopping this before it starts, I think people should be given skills to deal with social interaction and stress management in school. We learn so, so, so many useless things that are complete and total wastes of time but yet we don't learn things like that? That's just ridiculous! Everyone feels socially unaccepted to some extent (some more than others) and need to know what to do and everyone needs to deal with stress, so why not give us a toolkit to deal with stuff like that? It's better than cleaning up what potential mess might happen without it. Besides, if kids are taught to speak up and be more self-aware at a younger age, we won't have to look out for cries for help that we might miss because they'll have the skills and knowledge to deal with what they can and verbally speak up for what they can't deal with on their own.

At the end of the day, everyone needs skills once and a while...that and a safe place...

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:35 am

I think we're in trouble, guys.

It looks to be pretty much official in the news.

One of my friends-- someone I've known for 15 years; someone who I've bailed out of one tight spot after another-- called up last night to inform me that we can talk on the phone, but her mother really doesn't think I should be welcome in her home. Just too dangerous.

She was drunk. I was gracious. Very objective-- hey, that's easy, 'cause everyone knows those ret*d sociopaths don't have emotions. Yeah. I'm thinking-- Dr. King and the Freedom Riders beat segregation by basically (literally, in Dr. King's case) making martyrs of themselves. And today we feel such sorrow and respect for what's left of the American Indian.

I imagine she'll be calling up today to apologize for her mother and make excuses for herself, but the fact is that she's afraid of me. Because of what she saw on the TV news.

I'm going to try to go and see my grandmas today-- and I fully expect my aunt and cousins to follow me through the house, analyze everything I say, refuse to let me near the children (which is going to be really awkward when I need to talk to my own kids). My other grandma has already called me up crying because of things old women in her church circle have said.

Call me selfish and uncaring-- we often are, you know. I am sickened and saddened by the death of 20 innocent children. But I'm sicker and sadder that the NT response is to tar and feather other innocent people-- to basically start a witchhunt-- in the effort to make themselves feel that it can't happen to them.

But, of course, I'm the monster. Absolutely. It's not a reason or an excuse and it doesn't make anything understandable or acceptable or OK, but I wonder if something like that might have been running through his head. that would only make him more of a f*****g f**ked-up as*hole for choosing to respond to pain by spreading pain, but I wonder. Other posters are right-- we can ban whatever we want, but what we really need to do is change the social climate in this country.

HUMANS SUCK.

Last edited by BuyerBeware on 16 Dec 2012, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

R_odin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 9:51 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/nyreg ... .html?_r=0

“They said he always seemed like he was someone who was capable of that because he just didn’t really connect with our high school, and didn’t really connect with our town.”

Wrong planet all the way. It's really sad.

SpocksDaughter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Dec 2012, 9:52 am

matchalatte wrote:
I got what you were saying, NeXus_Blueliner and it's true, this is life. I personally feel like though this is reality, there is a bit we can do to shine it up. Guns don't kill people, people do -- true, but guns do make it easier to kill more people. I feel like more control in that area may minimize the damage. No, I don't think it'll stop because I feel like people are getting more violent these days, but 1 kindergartener is too much...if that guy not having been able to get his hands on an assault rifle could've saved even one of those kids, that would've made a world of a difference.

In regards to stopping this before it starts, I think people should be given skills to deal with social interaction and stress management in school. We learn so, so, so many useless things that are complete and total wastes of time but yet we don't learn things like that? That's just ridiculous! Everyone feels socially unaccepted to some extent (some more than others) and need to know what to do and everyone needs to deal with stress, so why not give us a toolkit to deal with stuff like that? It's better than cleaning up what potential mess might happen without it. Besides, if kids are taught to speak up and be more self-aware at a younger age, we won't have to look out for cries for help that we might miss because they'll have the skills and knowledge to deal with what they can and verbally speak up for what they can't deal with on their own.

At the end of the day, everyone needs skills once and a while...that and a safe place...

A first class post Matchalatte, thank you.

Spocks Daughter

matchalatte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 10:28 am

SpocksDaughter wrote:
A first class post Matchalatte, thank you.
Spocks Daughter

Thank you, SpocksDaughter -- and I really love your username! :)

And to BuyerBeware, I'm really sorry about the way you've been treated and anticipate being treated. There's no excuse for their ignorance and it's true that we, as a group, were scape goats for an issue that goes far beyond simple mental illness. The fact is, there are so many mentally ill people (of all different types of diagnoses) and they don't all go around shooting up elementary schools -- neither do all people with Asperger's. In these sort of situations, when the world is against us (I've had experience in this quite a bit), it's most important to show the world what we're really made of, to meet their intolerance with the goodness and understanding that we wish they would give us. Just remember that we're all in the same boat here, so you're not alone, and it's important during times like these to stick together, so reach out if you need to!

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 10:36 am

Pretty much. It will blow over. Some will apologize, some will feel sheepish and pretend it never happened, Grandma will call 37 times next week to tell me how wonderful I am. :roll:

I keep telling myself that.

I just-- get frustrated. I'm not going to rage at them-- I'll save that for here. It will just hurt them and I don't want to do that. I'd like to know what I should say, though.

All I know to do is say, "I understand," and slink away until they forget to be afraid of me. I don't think that's the best response either.

I remember how much it hurt to see Daddy treated this way. Granted that was probably because I identified with him, but I wonder how much it hurts my kids to see Mommy treated this way.

There's got to be something better than grinning and bearing it and singing "We Shall Be Free" all the way home. This doesn't change anything. Suggestions??

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 10:40 am

At least I can count on the old lady with dementia-- Daddy's mother-- to give me a hug and tell me what's on her mind and be glad to see me. Funny how the crazy old lady in the house is the only one who just sees the person in front of her-- even if we do have the same conversation twice a day four days a week.

matchalatte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 11:17 am

BuyerBeware, I'd go with something they can identify with: "I'm the same person today as I've always been, the only thing that's changed is you seeing something on the news, but I'm still me." Then I'd try to educate them. Education is always very important. I find most people get scared because they're uninformed but when they realize the truth, they're very open to things -- or at least much more than before.

More than anything, stick to what they know -- who you've always been memories of things they remember too, things you did that were the opposite of this guy's behavior. Their own experiences will show them that you're nothing like that guy.

The understanding I meant was more internal. It would show externally more as being patient with them. Don't yell or get angry because that would have some resemblance in their minds to the shooter who was a violent person. The reason it's good to be patient with people outwardly is to show you're not like their misconceptions. Prove their misconceptions wrong through experience, then they don't have to believe you, they can just believe their own eyes. :)

More than anything, just hang in there. I know it's such a rough time and things are tough for you now. I hope this helps to maybe make things better. :)

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2012, 11:41 am

Just hit me today I fear for my job. My boss knows I have Aspergers and they already so not want to upset me... My job is in an elementary school.

matchalatte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 11:45 am

Darkone101, I hope everything goes well with your job and that you don't have any problems.

Keep in mind that if you encounter any trouble, it would be clear discrimination and you'd be able to take legal action against them. Just in case, that's important to know, but I do hope for the best for you. :)

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 11:47 am

I agree with Richard Benson and others that the central issue here is mental health, not gun control, and I also believe that this incident will not result in a witch hunt against people on the spectrum. I totally understand the anxiety, and I understand how some people will feel afraid that this may taint or exacerbate an already negative stereotype...not trying to invalidate anyone's feelings.

I believe that in order to address this issue with any hope of improving things in the future, the mental health profession needs to seriously step up to the plate and take action aimed at earlier identifcation and intervention. As a profession, they need to create better guidelines for identifying earlier and helping people at risk; they need to create new ethical standards for themselves that disallow inaction when at-risk behaviors are identified in an individual; and they need to do a better job educating the population at large about the facts surrounding mental health, risk factors, and what you should do if you see someone displaying risky behaviors. There is more they can/should do, but these are the main things that come to mind. Earlier identification and intervention, I believe, is the main hope for improving things.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 11:57 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Americans need to ask a serious question at this point: let the country devolve into the Left Bank which it seems to be quickly doing over the past years or are we willing to confront some fundamental truths about ourselves, that we require something more than a steady diet of nihilism, paranoia and hatred?

I have to agree.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2012, 12:07 pm

well this is a fine way to wake up on a Sunday Morning. THis is the first thing that hits me over the head as I sleepily munch on breakfast... fox news is trying to defend Aspies, and put a stop to the rumors being spread by hysterical journalists link :arrow: Fox News "Answering Questions about Aspergers"

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 12:20 pm

Dr. Sanjay Gupta has been a voice of reason,he keeps trying to get the point across that Autistics are not likely to committ crimes of this nature.And that Autism is different from mental illness.
Most people are really ignorant about Autism,they need to be educated.
Eight or so years ago when my therapist told me he thought I might be HFA I was shocked,I thought that Autistic kids sat in a coroner spinning plates and did not talk.Boy.was I uninformed.That's how most people who have no idea about Autism perceive us,or that we are all like Rainman.

matchalatte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 12:24 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Dr. Sanjay Gupta has been a voice of reason,he keeps trying to get the point across that Autistics are not likely to committ crimes of this nature.And that Autism is different from mental illness.
Most people are really ignorant about Autism,they need to be educated.
Eight or so years ago when my therapist told me he thought I might be HFA I was shocked,I thought that Autistic kids sat in a coroner spinning plates and did not talk.Boy.was I uninformed.That's how most people who have no idea about Autism perceive us,or that we are all like Rainman.

I got diagnosed when I was younger but no one sees me as being on the spectrum and when I tell them, they react the same way. It's so important to be educated. People need to know it's not because he had Asperger's that he did what he did, it's because he was a violent and unstable person who happened to get his hands on guns and decide to use them. That had nothing to do with Asperger's.