Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bailey666
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2012, 11:17 am

Lanza has been portrayed in the mainstream media as both suffering from Asperger's AND some severe mental problem. First, his brother Ryan has been described on Fox News as the shooter. Then other misinformed speculations popped up. So much for media scrutiny in this country!

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 11:18 am

Is there actually any evidence he has either of these? or is it just media speculation?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 11:20 am

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
Is there actually any evidence he has either of these? or is it just media speculation?

That is exactly what it is. Even medical professionals have a hard time agreeing on some diagnoses.

Journalists in the mainstream media are the very last persons whose judgement on scientific matters I would trust.

ruveyn

bailey666
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2012, 11:21 am

Wandering_Stranger wrote:

I don't know. But equally jarring, I hate when people criticize our gun culture and villify it for everything that ills the world.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 11:50 am

as a Brit - it is absurd that people need assault rifles and equally absurd was "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun". This logic is just bogus and stupid.

I just dont see why anyone needs such a gun and if you really want one - join the forces

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 11:51 am

answeraspergers wrote:
as a Brit - it is absurd that people need assault rifles and equally absurd was "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun". This logic is just bogus and stupid.

I just dont see why anyone needs such a gun and if you really want one - join the forces

Rifles can be used for hunting, target shooting and plinking. Having a rifle, semi-automatic or not does not pre-ordain the violent used of that weapon.

And people really don't need cars that go over 50 mph. Shall we outlaw the fast cars?

ruveyn

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 11:58 am

That's just a bad analogy.

I used to go target shooting - with a .22 air rifle. It worked fine for accuracy and aim.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 12:01 pm

answeraspergers wrote:

]

The way I see it, people who live out in the rural areas should be able to keep their guns, even assault weapons as long as they are responsible and keep them secure and will make an effort to do so. It's a great responsibility to have a gun and to own one is realizing this first and foremost.

The cities and urban areas are different and where you see the most problems when people are allowed to have guns.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 12:11 pm

here it is mainly farmers and country folk that have shotguns etc. I do sort of see that view.

I really was shocked that i walked into a supermarket in florida and found a weapons department

Shopping list

Milk
Eggs
Ak-47

It blew my mind really.

However as Im not an American I guess I should shut up :D

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 1:03 pm

answeraspergers wrote:

Quote:
as a Brit - it is absurd that people need assault rifles...

I'm sure, as a Brit, you do find "assault rifle" ownership absurd but that's coming from someone in a country where it's illegal to carry the small Kershaw lock-blade pocket knife I carry in my pocket every day and everywhere. I may or may not need an "assault rifle" but my needs and wants are determined by me alone. As it stands I already have a few "assault rifles" and in time and if finances allow I might add more. In fact, I'm going to take one of mine shooting today. :P
Quote:
....and equally absurd was "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun". This logic is just bogus and stupid.

You must have gotten that from me because I've said that in one of these "gunz-r-bad" threads.
Coming from you being called bogus and stupid is a compliment so thank you so much. :D
I suppose you, like many misguided others, think we can ban them and they will all just magically vanish into thin air. NOT.

Quote:

Joining the armed forces does not give you an assault rifle it lends you one only as needed and under strict guidance for training and duty use only.
Helps to know a little bit before going off.

Last edited by Raptor on 22 Dec 2012, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 1:25 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Quote:
The way I see it, people who live out in the rural areas should be able to keep their guns…

I live in the suburbs but I’ll keep mine, anyway. Same if I lived in a high-rise in the middle of the city.

Answeraspergers wrote:
Quote:
here it is mainly farmers and country folk that have shotguns etc. I do sort of see that view.

And English farmer’s ownership of shotguns is usually under attack, too. That’s the slippery slope of gun control at work. Passing gun laws implies that it will reduce crime. For each gun related crime after that there has to be more gun control since the last round of laws wasn't strong enough. There ends up being a ban on sharp sticks and throwable rocks before it’s all over.

Quote:
I really was shocked that i walked into a supermarket in florida and found a weapons department

Really? I’ve been in a lot of supermarkets and I’ve never seen one that sells guns. I have been in general stores in rural parts of the US that sold a little of everything including groceries and a small section of used guns but never a supermarket by what defines a supermarket. Where in Florida was it?

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 1:49 pm

answeraspergers wrote:

Shopping list

Milk
Eggs
Ak-47

It blew my mind really.

However as Im not an American I guess I should shut up :D

You are aware that AK-47s haven't been manufactured in a very long time, right? The guns people colloquially refer to as "AKs" or "AK-47s" are in actuality "Kalashnikov-pattern guns," meaning that although they are patterned from the original Avtomat Kalashnikova, they were never licensed by IzMash, the weapons factory officially licensed to produce the gun. Not to mention the fact that the Kalashnikov-patterned guns currently being manufactured/currently accessible are but a shadow of the ones reserved for military use.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 2:32 pm

It was a wall mart i believe or maybe next to it. It was at a retail park in Orlando opposite my hotel. By the way this was 1995, im not sure if laws changed since then.

AK 47 was just an example of high volume gun. I'm obviously not a gun owner but I have had one pulled on me - it was old crap and a service revolver but it still didnt make my day.

The "slippery slope" fallacy doesnt really convince me though. There is a massive gap between a rock and assault rifles.

Dont get me wrong, there is a shooting bar in vegas - if was in vegas Beer and Guns dont seem like a winner but would like a go but I dont need to take the gun out of the club for target shooting.

I dont think this gets sorted out easy. There are already more guns than people in USA.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 2:35 pm

CyborgUprising wrote:

You are aware that AK-47s haven't been manufactured in a very long time, right? The guns people colloquially refer to as "AKs" or "AK-47s" are in actuality "Kalashnikov-pattern guns," meaning that although they are patterned from the original Avtomat Kalashnikova, they were never licensed by IzMash, the weapons factory officially licensed to produce the gun. Not to mention the fact that the Kalashnikov-patterned guns currently being manufactured/currently accessible are but a shadow of the ones reserved for military use.

All lineal descendants of the German MG42.

ruveyn

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 3:44 pm

How does everything evolve into a gun debate?

Adam Lanza apparently had multiple issues that no one, unfortunately, was able to solve.

Both the mental health community AND the ASD community have done a good job of putting balanced portrayals out in the media, making it clear that NEITHER diagnosis predicts violence, and that this one situation is this one situation.

But on the gun debate: I generally agree with ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo, that guns may be necessary in some rural locations but tend to be trouble in more densely populated ones. Still, I am aware there are always exceptions on both sides, and it is a shame that not everyone has enough common sense to figure out the right answer in their unique situation.

And I do believe that those children in CT would have had a better chance if Adam Lanza had NOT grown up in a household that owned and valued guns. One unique person, one unique conclusion.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 4:41 pm

answeraspergers wrote:
The "slippery slope" fallacy doesnt really convince me though. There is a massive gap between a rock and assault rifles.

Does the fact that there have been proposals to force everyone to grind the tips off of their kitchen knives, and that acrylic bar ware has been mandated in some areas to prevent glassings convince you that the British approach to violence is a one way ratchet of restriction and prohibition? I mean it won't be too much longer at this rate before the entire country is using plastic sporks and drinking their beer from Solo keg cups, like in a prison or mental hospital.