College student takes out restraining order against parents.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

PM
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 5:16 pm

http://gma.yahoo.com/college-student-wi ... nting.html

It seems to be that they have issues with control.

Who can really blame her?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 5:28 pm

I wonder - where is she going to get money for college now?

PM
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 5:30 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

The school is paying for the rest of her tuition.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 5:33 pm

Who can blame her?

It depends on whether or not she is telling the truth. Obviously, there was a preponderance of evidence - enough evidence in favor of the girl's claims to convince a civil judge to grant the restraining order.

However, if having intrusive control over their adult daughter's daily life is the condition upon which their continued financial support rests, then maybe the girl is getting the justice she deserves.

Either way, she may soon need to take out a few student loans in her own name.

I wish her well.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 5:43 pm

This case appears to me to stand for the proposition that the exchange of value between people who are not in an arm's length relationship does not carry with it a presumption of consideration.

If these two people were not her parents, but rather arm's length benefactors who said, "we will pay for your education, provided that you abide by these rules and allow us to monitor your compliance," then the whole matter is properly one of contract. But such a relationship could only exist between parents and a child if they had all expressly agreed to it.

So the moral of this story is: parents, if you want to stalk your children, get it in writing.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 7:05 pm

If they think she's mentally ill and on drugs, their main concern shouldn't be getting a refund for all the tuition they've paid.

Honestly if anyone wanted to watch me sleep through Skype to be sure I'm not doing something they disapprove of, the only healthy thing I can imagine doing would be to cut them out of my life entirely, even if they are my parents.

I paid my stepdad back for the tuition and medical expenses he paid for me, in order to ensure he and my mother had nothing to hold over my head to attempt to control me. Sometimes parents are bad people too, even if they pay for everything

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 7:40 pm

PM wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
The school is paying for the rest of her tuition.

I just saw on the news that her university has given her a FULL SCHOLARSHIP for her entire senior year!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

aspiebostonian
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2012, 8:19 pm

I'm just glad my parents didn't have the option to spy on me in that way when I was younger. I've put lots of geographic distance between them and myself because they stifled me to the point where I was constantly looking for excuses to escape my house. My Dad used to laugh because at one point I thought of becoming a nun. He wouldn't laugh so hard if he knew I wanted to do it simply to get away from him. Thankfully I got into a Master's program and was able to move away and now live far away from him where he cannot monitor my every move. I have had to cut him off because all he does is criticize, think negative thoughts and speak negative words. He is the type of person, Asperger's and otherwise, that we all seek to avoid on a daily basis.