First Sandy Hook related litigation.

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

PM
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 11:08 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/claim-seeks-100-m ... 46074.html

:? I am not sure what to think of this.

Will the judge agree that the school was inadequately protected?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 11:10 pm

PM wrote:
... I am not sure what to think of this. Will the judge agree that the school was inadequately protected?

Compared to what, Fort Knox?

The perp had to shoot his way in, not just walk through an open door.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 11:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
PM wrote:
... I am not sure what to think of this. Will the judge agree that the school was inadequately protected?

Compared to what, Fort Knox?

The perp had to shoot his way in, not just walk through an open door.

Compared to the plaintiff's claim.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 11:40 pm

Now I wonder - did the surviving students from Columbine HS and Virginia Tech sue for the horror they were forced to witness? Surely they must've been traumatized.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 11:42 pm

PM wrote:
Fnord wrote:
PM wrote:
Compared to what, Fort Knox? The perp had to shoot his way in, not just walk through an open door.

:wall: *&^%$#@ing civil litigation ...

I should sue The Media for the emotional trauma they inflicted on me from their inept and erroneous reporting.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 11:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
PM wrote:
Fnord wrote:
PM wrote:
Compared to what, Fort Knox? The perp had to shoot his way in, not just walk through an open door.

:wall: *&^%$#@ing civil litigation ...

I should sue The Media for the emotional trauma they inflicted on me from their inept and erroneous reporting.

Let's go class-action on their ***es!

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 12:22 am

Quote:
Will the judge agree that the school was inadequately protected?

There is no judge yet and there might not be one. The CT Claims Commission will decide whether this is a "just claim" to waive the immunity of the State of CT. Just claim is defined as; "a claim which in equity and justice the state should pay, provided the state has caused damage or injury or has received a benefit".

So at this juncture the question of whether the State of CT adequately protected the school would seem mute. Jill Doe's claim would need to rise to the level of the state having caused the injury for the Commission to waive the state's immunity.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 1:00 am

Well, people are forced to send their kids to school and one would expect said institutions to provide reasonable levels of safety. Not being able to defend the children doesn't come under "reasonable" levels of safety (armed guards would be reasonable).

indyadam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2012, 1:14 am

I had an armed guard at my school. We had a kid shoot himself on the tennis court. he could have walked into a classroom and shot up the class anyway and been done with it before the guard could do anything. The only people who could stop that are the teachers, and lets face it we cant keep teachers from sleeping with students. you really think we can keep a stressed teacher who was just disrespected from shooting a student.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 1:18 am

Nothing can stop it happening, but things can stop it from progressing.

An armed guard confronting an active shooter [whom has already shot people] can put the breaks on it instantly as it makes the shooter need to focus on said guard, which will allow people to flee.

indyadam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2012, 1:24 am

that makes no sense, an armed guard would need to be kept isolated from the students. The weapon would need to be away from the students to keep a kid going thru a bad day from snapping and stealing the gun to shoot someone. By the time teh guard can react the damage is done and if the gunman knows there are armed people there. he will shoot till the thing is almost empty then shoot themselves. The argument of armed people is illogical. more guns do not stop shootings. the increase teh body count in high population areas.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 1:28 am

indyadam wrote:
that makes no sense, an armed guard would need to be kept isolated from the students. The weapon would need to be away from the students to keep a kid going thru a bad day from snapping and stealing the gun to shoot someone. By the time teh guard can react the damage is done and if the gunman knows there are armed people there. he will shoot till the thing is almost empty then shoot themselves. The argument of armed people is illogical. more guns do not stop shootings. the increase teh body count in high population areas.

Evidence?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 1:31 am

Bad people with guns commit mass shootings.

Good people with guns stop bad people with guns from committing mass shootings.

This may not be true in every place and all of the time, but it is the way to bet.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 1:32 am

columbine had an armed guard. didn't help there.

indyadam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2012, 1:35 am

Ok i can not provide statistical evidence. I am not a professional statistician nore an expert on guns. What i am is a guy with basic common sense, which this days is a super power. How would more weapons in this situation save anything. Your in a building seperated by walls and lots of them. Each class is its own little area. The only people who can react with enough time and efficiency are the teachers. As i stated above thats not safe either. We cant keep them from doing one illegal action when they choose, you wont stop them from doing another. The guards as everyone says. must be kept away from the students, ask any cop that it is possible to have their weapons stolen from their side. So they must be kept separate. its that seperation that would make any attempt to stop an armed intruder useless unless they start the shooting near the guard, which anyone who knows that the school is armed would not do.

indyadam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2012, 1:39 am

in a situation such as mall or other open area. yes the pressance of an armed gaurd may help. in the situation of a school. Armed people aren't going to help in a situation where the shooter knows they have a opposition in the building, they will take out who they want then shoot themselves. Just as what happens in most recent shootings, the gunmen kill themselves as or before armed people can get to them.