Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 12:26 am

An amazing archeological find from ancient Denmark has been discovered. Rather than a single bog mummy having been discovered, a whole slew of POW's from a defeated army had been cruelly hacked to pieces, and thrown into a sacrificial lake
Goes to show that the Romans, regarding their Barbarian adversaries, needed to be afraid - - very afraid.
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013 ... nia-tribes\battle-wounds

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 12:36 am

Isn't it amazing - the depths of depravity that mankind has against each other? I've been studying this for years. Sometimes I wonder just who the most deadly peoples in the world were. Many sources say Attila the Hun was the most ravenous. It strikes me as odd that the Khmer Rouge would wipe out 1/3 of their own people, but they did. Is l=human life so cheap? I know a lot of executions in Martyrs Mirror, and possibly the Holy Bible, were exaggerated; still, man's cruelty to man seems to have no boundaries. To wit: the plethora of torture devices discovered over the years. Maybe we were doomed from the get go.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 4:56 am

Reading the details in the article,the victims in this new find were apparently Germanic,the result of an inter-tribal battle that took place
a few years after the famous defeat of the Romans at Teutenborg.
Seems it wasn't just the Romans that had to be wary,the tribes had to worry about their own neighbours as well !

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 5:06 am

pluto wrote:
Reading the details in the article,the victims in this new find were apparently Germanic,the result of an inter-tribal battle that took place
a few years after the famous defeat of the Romans at Teutenborg.
Seems it wasn't just the Romans that had to be wary,the tribes had to worry about their own neighbours as well !

Absolutely.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 7:30 am

I guess the barbarians were real....uhhhhh.....real.....uhhhhhh..

What's the word?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 10:57 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I guess the barbarians were real....uhhhhh.....real.....uhhhhhh..

What's the word?

Barbaric?

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 2:05 pm

Usually that sort of thing is only done when:

1. The winning party does'nt fear any retaliation (ie, they just won a crushing victory), and
2. The winning party is willing to get win of the losing party once and for all (no use of the defeated for allies, chattel, cannon fodder, etc.).

This sounds like someone won, and decided to finish their enemies once and for all. The romans practically wrote the book on it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 6:13 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
Usually that sort of thing is only done when:

1. The winning party does'nt fear any retaliation (ie, they just won a crushing victory), and
2. The winning party is willing to get win of the losing party once and for all (no use of the defeated for allies, chattel, cannon fodder, etc.).

This sounds like someone won, and decided to finish their enemies once and for all. The romans practically wrote the book on it.

Darn tootin' the Romans did. Just think how they had destroyed Carthage, and plowed salt into the ground. Or how they had destroyed Jerusalem and deported most of the Judean population. It has been argued that the Germans had fought so fiercely against the Romans because they knew what was in store for them if they lost.