brisbane autistic boy's hands blown by sadistic mate

Page 3 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 1:27 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
VERY tragic story. Very sad.

I also noticed this bit in the same report: "Michael, 15, suffers from autism and Asperger syndrome."

There's that report, yet again, of us suffering from what's built into us. Next time I see a black person I'm going to ask him, "Hey, how does it fee to suffer from blackness?" Or maybe I'll just wit till I run into a gay person and ask, "Hey, I feel bad for you because you're suffering from homosexuality."

If I come home all bloodied and bruised I'd understand why.

:lol:

I "suffer" from blackness as well as autism. I think I make people's brains short-circuit when they find out. They think you should be a member of one minority at a time. And seeing three (I'm a woman, also) on one person, their minds go, "Does-Not-Compute Does-Not-Compute" and sparks come flying out.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 1:37 pm

Verdandi wrote:

This actually has nothing to do with what Darwin wrote about. Darwin's talk about "survival of the fittest" didn't mean "survival of the strongest." Fittest refers to "most adapted to the environment" not to "Who can be the biggest as*hole to everyone around him."

(Yay I get to use my anthropology of sex and childbirth knowledge for something)

When scientists speak of "fitness", what they're referring to is ones ability to pass genes down to the next generation. That could be by having lots of kids or ensuring that their sibling's kids are taken care of. Fitness is not about who's the strongest but who's the best at making or maintaining their genetic code down the line.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 4:23 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
Is it just me or have these little jokers these days lost their mind? I'm in my late 30s and I don't remember kids being this sadistic back when I was young. Yeah, they would bully but to do something so injurious to someone was just not thought of. These kids sound like little socio-paths who needed reigning in a long time ago but their parents were too irresponsible or in denial to do anything.

I agree. The common problem that causes kids to do such things is a lack of being taught right and wrong in the home, not to mention a lack of means to properly punish kids for their disobedience in a meaningful way. Parents these days seem to not have control of that anymore, and it's been causing problems for the past 20 years until it's reached what it is now.
Being "grounded" these days has absolutely no effect on kids, and when parents can't uphold order in their own house, it just makes the situation worse. Before you know it, you've got a kid who disobeys the rules simply because they can and they don't care about the punishment because they know it's only temporary with no real consequence.
Kids just aren't being taught what is acceptable and what isn't, and honestly I think that those lessons should now fall on the schools for delivery, use whatever "scare tactics" necessary to get them to understand, before they no longer care.

There's a very very old saying: "Someone without conscience and law is as dangerous as someone without something to lose".
I think we're looking at the proof of that statement in today's criminal society, the punishments aren't severe enough for criminals to care, they're being "grounded" as it were.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 4:28 pm

how do we as a society deal with these monsters? how do we turn them back into civilized creatures? how do we avoid just warehousing them?

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 4:51 pm

auntblabby wrote:
how do we as a society deal with these monsters? how do we turn them back into civilized creatures? how do we avoid just warehousing them?

Assuming they were ever "civilized". :roll:

We're already "warehousing" them, in prisons, because the justice system thinks that previous punishments have been too "harsh", so instead of say the death penalty, they get life without parole. Criminals have used our own sense of conscience against the justice system's willingness to uphold the law by saying that death is a "cruel and unusual punishment", the reality is, death is ultimate, and these days there could never be anything cruel, nor unusual, about the process because technology gives us the means of doing it gently and technically, without them even knowing about it if it were so ordered.
People fail to realize that we've become slaves to the criminal minds in the world because, over time, they've manipulated the system in favor of a punishment that 90% of them have no problem with. Why does crime continue to escelate? Because we let it happen by giving them a slap on the wrist instead of real punishment.

If the death penalty were issued more often, people who don't want to die, won't commit crime. Criminals who don't care will do it anyway and face the proper punishment without the means of manipulating the justice system (since they don't care about their lives, then they shouldn't complain about the death penalty).
Prisons are overcrowded because we let them get that way in the first place by skipping real punishment in favor of a life sentence behind bars that prisoners usually make a home out of, getting themselves free education, even cable/satellite in some places, all at the expense of the taxpayers.
How do we as society handle these monsters? Answer: We treat them fantastically and keep them comfortable. IMO that's too much comfort, it's prison not a stay at the Burj Al Arab. :lol:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 May 2013, 5:02 pm

The death penalty is harsh and barbaric, nothing more than state-sponsored vengeance.

Prisons are crowded because of the war on drugs. People are imprisoned for drug-related offenses when they should be given medical treatment instead.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 5:19 pm

In the article, the others injured by the bomb would not make statements. The perpetrator had been in trouble with the police numerous times before.

It's hard when communities are scared and punishments are inappropriate.

For many youth the future seems bleak. If you are always told that you are cr*p then you behave that way, if your only examples are bad then what other options are there.

Too many people are disaffected, living in sub standard housing and given a choice between mindless jobs at minimum wage, unemployment or crime.

The should be an incentive not to go to prison, for many on drugs, no family support or living rough there is none.

Penalties should reflect the crime, but I do not think that prisoners should get to play cards and pool and watch TV all day. It costs way too much to warehouse people, £40K to £50K pp pa in the UK.

So a balance between punishment and rehabilitation. There should be hard labour initially, those who can behave get to learn a skill. If they are violent to other prisoners, no release.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 6:48 pm

:)
Thank you ! !! !! !! !! :D

ASS-P wrote:
...:-( :cry: :cry: :cry:
I hope those ass(rse)holes can a least be CRIMINALLY prosecuted ! !! !! !! !! !! :cry: :( :cry: :cry:
( Not: I am in a library , with only minutes left , having - once again :x - pressed " new Topic " when I meant " Reply " - I guess :( - I feel I don't have time to reverse this and start all over again .
If Ye Mod wishes to combine this , pulleaze ??? :) )

[Mod. edit: done that for you! :wink: ]
:) :)

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 7:07 pm

Jaden wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Assuming they were ever "civilized". :roll:

We're already "warehousing" them, in prisons, because the justice system thinks that previous punishments have been too "harsh", so instead of say the death penalty, they get life without parole. Criminals have used our own sense of conscience against the justice system's willingness to uphold the law by saying that death is a "cruel and unusual punishment", the reality is, death is ultimate, and these days there could never be anything cruel, nor unusual, about the process because technology gives us the means of doing it gently and technically, without them even knowing about it if it were so ordered.
People fail to realize that we've become slaves to the criminal minds in the world because, over time, they've manipulated the system in favor of a punishment that 90% of them have no problem with. Why does crime continue to escelate? Because we let it happen by giving them a slap on the wrist instead of real punishment.

If the death penalty were issued more often, people who don't want to die, won't commit crime. Criminals who don't care will do it anyway and face the proper punishment without the means of manipulating the justice system (since they don't care about their lives, then they shouldn't complain about the death penalty).
Prisons are overcrowded because we let them get that way in the first place by skipping real punishment in favor of a life sentence behind bars that prisoners usually make a home out of, getting themselves free education, even cable/satellite in some places, all at the expense of the taxpayers.
How do we as society handle these monsters? Answer: We treat them fantastically and keep them comfortable. IMO that's too much comfort, it's prison not a stay at the Burj Al Arab. :lol:

prisons are over crowded because its a 3 billion dollar a year industry with each inmate bring the prison 80k a year or 200$ a day. the majority of inmates are non violent offenders. the private prison industry lobby's for harsher penalty's and 3 strike laws to keep their operations full. prisons are also a source of slave labor with over 80% of the united states military's uniforms are made by prison labor.

throwing people in a cage is not the solution.

also if you want to go after the real criminals go after the banking cartels
they have been robbing the world blind for over 400 years

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 7:10 pm

those people at the top [bankers, et al] are the collective "man behind the curtain" that we've collectively been harshly warned to never take a peek at.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 7:13 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
So a balance between punishment and rehabilitation. There should be hard labour initially, those who can behave get to learn a skill. If they are violent to other prisoners, no release.

Which in the end, changes very little. That's about the same system that exists today and it has done nothing but hinder law abiding people by taxing them to pay for criminals' housing.

Verdandi wrote:
The death penalty is harsh and barbaric, nothing more than state-sponsored vengeance.

Prisons are crowded because of the war on drugs. People are imprisoned for drug-related offenses when they should be given medical treatment instead.

The crimes are often as equally harsh and barbaric, they don't understand anything but such things, or they possibly just don't care. They take advantage of people with the "vengence" mentality because they know they can get away with a sentence that they don't feel is punishment (having freedom taken away is a slap on the wrist for them). In the end, it takes more away from society that is barely surviving as it is, and it gives those criminals more options than society can get with what we have. In the end, if the threat of punishment of death is the only deterant to crime, what then? Do we still give what we can't afford just to keep them locked up in an enviornment that they're comfortable with? How is that punishment to someone who doesn't see it as such?

Medical treatment for what? Being dealers and handlers? Druggies? They made the choice to have illegal substances and to possibly take them, they have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Those that are addicted to the substances should be given medical treatment yes, but that shouldn't take away from whatever sentence they are given, they put themselves in that situation, they weren't forced to deal or possess and even if they were, the law would recognize them as a victim, not a perpetrator.

Don't get me wrong, I would never rule out possible rehab, but the majority of criminals in prisons are career criminals who don't give a crap about anyone and would do more harm if they were ever released, they are a drain on already strained resources. If the death penalty were to apply, then IMO the justice system should have at it and stop the leak before it's breaking point because the time is quickly arrising when society will have to make a choice, either live on the street while criminals have free housing, or change laws to be more fitting as a punishment for criminals.

People like to say that my view is "morally wrong" but you know what? If it came down to having to choose between my future children actually having a future that is bright, and criminals being comfortable and alive for a crime they committed, being a drain on money that could be used to help the kids, I'd choose the welfare and future of the kids everytime and say "to blazes with the criminals they did it to themselves".
What would be worse: A child going hungry because there isn't any money to buy food, or a criminal being dealt a sentence fitting of the crime and being actually treated like a criminal?
Here's a thought, get rid of the tax on the people, and make those criminals work for their own housing in those prisons, make them pay for it, and if they won't work for it, they'd be put into a deeper hole than they already are. That'd solve the problem right there and honestly, that's a fitting punishment for some crimes.

I'm not trying to be a total arse, I'm just looking at it the way that people generally don't, and I have to conclude that the welfare of law abiding people and their kids takes priority over people who have no regard for the law. Criminals broke the law, that's why they're in prison, society should not be hindered by the treatment and welfare of those criminals simply because some people can't live with the possibility of capital punishment. Criminals put themselves in that situation to begin with, it is not society's obligation to help them do anything, nor should anyone be allowed to manipulate society in such a fashion to make us think we owe criminals anything (including good treatment, frankly). If people want to help them, fine, I have no problem with that, but if it were to get in the way of providing for a family (and it does) then I'll step in and call foul every time. When society has more regard for the treatment of prisoners (and it does right now, since they have better things in prison than most of us do in freedom) than it's own future and children, then it is doomed to it's own failures and perils until someone steps up and changes it. Morals do not, and should not, replace our regard for our childrens' futures.
It took countless defense lawyers to change the whole death penalty thing, but it came with a price: overcrowded prisons, hindering taxes on law abiding citizens, and that's just to name a couple. And for what? So some death row inmates could be selfish and fight so that we have to pay for their time in prison. That's not justice, that's a free ride at the expense of other people. Criminals don't care what happens to rest of us, and they know that we'll bend over backwards to satisfy a "guilty conscience", I personally won't do that because I know I'm not the reason they're in there.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 8:38 pm

...Um , Jaden , from my brief (there might be more) experience of EXTREMELY LIGHT jail , I think you gat over caught up in the " They're watching cable TV ? Cut off their hands ! !! !! !! !! " Fox News , as it was , mindset .
Much of the contemporary jail , certainly at the state and frderal level , in the US is in the after-effect of a " punish 'em more " mindset that's been building up over the last 30-ish years , and , in fact , allo0ws predator criminals - and dishonest guards , too - to run rampant in causing suffering to others in prison .
Since some of those I describe as " (caused to them ) suffering probably are " not-very-nice " criminals , does that mean therefore that the predator/maniac within prison is " a good guy " , for brutalizing/raping another convict ?
Your logic rather points toward that , if you follow it .
BTW , I'm not a person who says " every con is innocent " and I am not particularly " boo hoo " about the death penalty - Actually , I tend do dislike LWP (which gives essentially no hope for anyone in prison - Or , more practically , much of " something that be withdrawn " to help with prison control ) .

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 9:39 pm

Sorry but that's very hard to read, could you summerize and try again?

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 11:19 pm

Last week, while at the zoo, I saw some chimps get into a massive fight over a PEANUT. I was reminded of my fellow human beings.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 11:21 pm

I often look at people who fight over stuff with realistic view, and see them as no different than children fighting over a toy or something lol, so I know what you mean.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 2:04 am

Yeah , back to the poor kid that got his hands blown off.....

The community is raising funds for his treatment and rehabilitation. If you can send money or even a get-well card his family say it would be much appreciated. The bank details are in the link. The hospital is Princess Alexandra hospital Brisbane: 199 Ipswich Rd Woolloongabba QLD 4102
(07) 3176 2111

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/factshee ... undraiser/

Thanks.