Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 1:56 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... bled=false

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 8:44 pm

why hell, if the judicial powers that be treated ME that well, I would not mind jury duty at all. but where I live one is lucky to get $11 a day and maybe that much in gas allowance. no goodies at all, just sheer tedium.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 9:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
why hell, if the judicial powers that be treated ME that well, I would not mind jury duty at all. but where I live one is lucky to get $11 a day and maybe that much in gas allowance. no goodies at all, just sheer tedium.

they do it for most high profile cases

they could not leave for almost a whole month

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 4:33 pm

Its weird to go through the expense and effort of sequestering jurors, only to then take them out in public bowling and to the movies, and allowing them visits with family and friends.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 5:41 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
Its weird to go through the expense and effort of sequestering jurors, only to then take them out in public bowling and to the movies, and allowing them visits with family and friends.

they were kept separate from the public in public

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 6:52 pm

If they don't allow them some contact with the outside world, especially family and matters of home, it could stress them out to the point where their value as jurors is compromised.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 10:46 am

Raptor wrote:
If they don't allow them some contact with the outside world, especially family and matters of home, it could stress them out to the point where their value as jurors is compromised.

If I was ever forced to be in a sequestered jury I'd seriously consider just refusing and going to jail. To me it's practically the same thing. Either way I'm locked up away from my home doing things I don't want to do.

I just want to be in my own home with my cats and sleep in my own bed.

Being sequestered is very disruptive to your life and whatever they can do to make it better is good.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm

hanyo wrote:
Raptor wrote:

If I was ever forced to be in a sequestered jury I'd seriously consider just refusing and going to jail. To me it's practically the same thing. Either way I'm locked up away from my home doing things I don't want to do.

I just want to be in my own home with my cats and sleep in my own bed.

Being sequestered is very disruptive to your life and whatever they can do to make it better is good.

Get real already.
You'll find jury duty with being sequestered and staying in a nice hotel to be a helluva lot better than any jail.
If you go to jail you'll have a criminal record, too.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 3:05 pm

Raptor wrote:

Get real already.
You'll find jury duty with being sequestered and staying in a nice hotel to be a helluva lot better than any jail.

Not true. I spent the night in a jail once. I was not arrested and the cell door was unlocked.

ruveyn

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 3:28 pm

Raptor wrote:
Get real already.

It may be "nicer" than jail but as someone that barely ever leaves their house the prospect of being removed from my home and locked up somewhere against my will is horrifying, no matter how nice they try to make it. This month the only days I left my house at all were the 1st and 17th. I haven't slept away from home in at least 15 years probably, except for 2 times I was in the hospital for surgery (1 night and 4 nights). Being away from my own familiar home, my cats, and my computer and having to be around people so much every day would be pretty distressing.

I was in jail once for one night. I also was locked in a mental hospital twice (30 days and 14 days) and a reform school once (about 8 months). All were terrible.

I suppose I'd get out of it for mental reasons if I tried even though I don't have a diagnosis. As little as I go out some might consider me to be agoraphobic even though I tried forums for it and couldn't relate to those people at all. Most wanted to go out but couldn't. I just don't want to.

I don't know how people could want to do that and just give up their life (interests, pets, kids, family, friends, work, home) for however long it takes for the trial to be over but I guess there are people that are ok with that. It just freaks me out. It's good to know that they are at least trying to make things pleasant for these people.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 5:20 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Get real already.

Not true. I spent the night in a jail once. I was not arrested and the cell door was unlocked.

I won’t ask why you were there but I’m guessing that someone that has been arrested will be behind locked bars and maybe with someone who really belongs behind bars, if you know what I mean.

hanyo wrote:
I don't know how people could want to do that and just give up their life (interests, pets, kids, family, friends, work, home) for however long it takes for the trial to be over but I guess there are people that are ok with that. It just freaks me out. It's good to know that they are at least trying to make things pleasant for these people.

It’s not a want thing, it’s a civic duty even if you don't agree with it. And I’m betting a hotel room will freak you out a lot less than jail even if you've already been in jail before. I've been on one jury so far but we were not sequestered. If we had been then oh well, that’s one of the reasons I have a pet sitter on standby. The court might even pick up the tab for it for all I know. In your case they would likely dismiss you from service. I know when I had mine they dismissed over half of the potential jurors because of personal conflicts. Nearly any reason was good enough.