Genetic Signature for Autism Found!! !

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 6:48 pm

Adamantium wrote:
About the abortion thing. It would probably happen in some cases. Particularly in India where they already do a lot of abortions for gender selection.

But culture plays a role in ensuring that it would be extremely rare in other places, too.

The 4 out of 5 babies aborted idea is pure fantasy.

The elective abortion rate for Down's Syndrome in Europe is 91-93%. Source

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 9:09 pm

Adamantium wrote:
If they had told us, "Mr. And Mrs. Adamantium, there's a good chance the children will have autism, much as you do yourself, Mr. Adamantium." There is exactly zero chance that we would have considered aborting. .

I'm not sure that this response would be widely shared among NT parents.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 9:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Jumping ahead, there is already a Downs Syndrome blood test for pregnant mothers that avoids the need for amniocentesis of the developing baby in utero. I envisage the same type of maternal blood test may be possible for autism which paves the way for mothers to abort their pre-autistic fetus much like they do with Downs.

Since it's only a woman's "Freedom of Choice" involved here, what is the problem?

Did I say there was a problem?

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2013, 4:43 am

> Why not wait to see the results before reaching a conclusion based on nothing more than journalism?

Because the entire thread here is based on nothing more than journalism.

Do you have any clue how much pressure there is on researchers who get funding from third party sources (be they private or research councils) to produce results? "Credible figure" or not, there are more "stupidly flawed studies" out there than the scientific community cares to admit.

How many announcements, for example, have you read about someone finding the cause of obesity (and every time it's a different cause) or being able to reverse obesity in mice - and what has ever come of it? Exactly zilch. No, that's not true, all the money poured into those studies has led to one thing: journalism. Someone wrote about it. The researcher had something to present to his funders. Where do you think the journalist got his information from?

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 9:53 pm

eugenics will be able to be practiced only by those with health insurance, so we need not fear extinction from a prevalence of testing (unless they give it away in cereal boxes). there will always be the poor, & i have every expectation that their numbers will never be any less than they are today.

reasoning." --William Blake