Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LogicalMolly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2013, 2:05 pm

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/10/2 ... 7T20131027

It remains to be seen whether they have forecast it correctly or not.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 3:50 pm

I have some Facebook Friends in the UK who are very worried right now. One of them said the hope it won't be as bad with all the jokes people are making because it's not funny. :(

LogicalMolly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2013, 4:13 pm

I am trying not to be worried. I'm further north than the predicted path of the storm. If the storm veers a bit more north than they predict, it may hit my area, and I live in a flood zone. All I can do is wait and see.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 6:23 pm

It's wet and windy in Scotland just now, so if we're getting the edge of what is forecast for the south of England it must be pretty bad down there. We had a bad storm, one of the worst I've experienced, at the start of 2012, and I was actually scared. It hit at about 7am, when it was still dark and I was woken by the most incredible noise of the wind pounding into the house.

My son had slept under his bed that night (he used to do that regularly) and he had woken before me, but was too scared to come out. We lost a lot of roof slates that day, and my son's trampoline flew over our 7 feet wall, across a big car park which was fortunately empty at the time, and ended up halfway across a farmer's field.

One house in a nearby village lost its whole roof, and pretty much every house suffered some damage.

The noise was the scariest, made worse by it being dark. When it was light I could see the water on a nearby river being whipped up in a spray about maybe 20-30 feet high. That was quite something to see.

LogicalMolly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2013, 1:21 pm

Well, the storm has been and gone, leaving four people dead, 600,000 homes without power, and train and flight cancellations. I hope all UK WP people are OK.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 8:54 am

I am beginning to wonder if the Gulf Stream is beginning to fail. As more fresh water melts into the Northern Atlantic the Gulf Stream maintained by a salt concentration gradient in ocean water will weaken. When it does nations like Ireland and Britain as well as most of Western Europe will begin to experience weather such as existed during the Little Ice Age (1300 - 1730 c.e.).

ruveyn

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 1:35 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Jude_storm

99MPH Gust in UK 124MPH in Denmark highest ever in that country

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF-wwu5T0yY[/youtube]

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 2:36 am

Was a bit of a non event here in the Royal county. Spent all weekend quite looking forward to this (I am a bit of an extreme weather enthusiast!) yet not too much happened here.

Certainly very windy out there and a small amount of trees down but it was the south coast that got hit worst.