Daylight savings time in the US. End the madness!

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 2:40 am

In the UK it seems a bit more significant and isn't apposed by anyone. It starts getting dark here at around 3:00 - 3:30pm in the winter so even though DST was created to help those working on the land, over here it impacts on school ending time and it is said that having it light at this time saves quite a number of child road deaths each year

A lot of people in Scotland have campaigned to get their moved even further as it gets dark earlier there but it won't happen as it would put them out of sync with the rest of the UK

daylight hours in the UK are rubbish. for a few months a year we get to work in the dark and we leave in the dark. BOOOOOOOOO!

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 11:43 am

If anything, I would say we should get rid of standard time, not daylight time.

Set the clocks so that solar noon falls at 1300. In northern latitudes, we are going to lose daylight, regardless, so it's a question of whether we lose it in the morning or the afternoon. Personally, as much as I hate going to work in the dark, I prefer to get home from work before sunset.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 1:35 am

I think it is overdone. The worst part of it is trying to wake up when it is dark and going to the bus or train tired and cold at dawn. Daylight Savings should not be if effect when it causes good chunk of the morning to be dark and the light in the evening to be useless because it is cold out. I would start Daylight Savings time the last Sunday in April (that is when it started when I was young) and end it the first Sunday in October.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

capri0112
Raven
Raven

15 Mar 2014, 7:32 am

The time change is pointless. Get rid of it. Settle on one or the other (standard or DS time).

Nobody needs or wants to lose an hour of their day in this time crunched, sleep deprived world we've created.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 2:30 am

so what time does it get light and dark for most of you guys just before daylight saving kicks in in spring?

Flyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2014, 2:37 am

Well, if you really hate DST so much, you could move to Russia.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 9:15 am

Now that industry and commerce operate 24/7 and we do more than half of our work in artificial light, the main reason for Daylight Saving Time no longer obtains. In Ben Franklin's time artificial light was expensive and it was not that good. Most people had to do their work by natural daylight, so displacing the time to put the working part of the day in the best coincidence with natural daylight made very good sense ---- then.

ruveyn