When adults pass as teens to return to high school

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 8:14 pm

I know that post k-12 life can be confusing and scary.

I know that we all likely have issues left over from high school that we haven't resolved.

But my God I will never understand why anyone would risk prison time to return to that nightmarish combination of labor camp and meat grinder like the woman in the story below.

http://www.kltv.com/story/25518762/31-year-old-sophomore-at-e-texas-high-school-arrested

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 8:22 pm

Fred Flintstone returned to high school to get his diploma. That was a great episode.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 9:23 pm

I guess she felt cheated out of a proper high school experience the first time around. I know I did.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 9:46 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I guess she felt cheated out of a proper high school experience the first time around. I know I did.

Same here. I wish they would come up with something like a high school environment, but for adults.

Spectre
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2014, 10:01 pm

Yeah, this is kind of messed up. I will say this: She looks really young for 34. But why relive high school? I do feel that there aren't enough opportunities and supports in place for adults, though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 10:05 pm

Spectre wrote:
Yeah, this is kind of messed up. I will say this: She looks really young for 34. But why relive high school? I do feel that there aren't enough opportunities and supports in place for adults, though.

because you gotta crawl before you can walk. she missed her crawl phase and it is keeping her from walking.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 10:11 pm

I wish there were a free public refresher school available. I'd certainly retake a few classes. I'm sure it would be popular among parents who help with their kids' homework too.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 10:58 pm

ehymw wrote:

I know that we all likely have issues left over from high school that we haven't resolved.

But my God I will never understand why anyone would risk prison time to return to that nightmarish combination of labor camp and meat grinder like the woman in the story below.

http://www.kltv.com/story/25518762/31-year-old-sophomore-at-e-texas-high-school-arrested

Apparently she walked into a church and told a woman she was 15, and that she ran away from an abusive home. The woman took her in, and naturally enrolled her in school, since in many states kids have to be in school until either 16 or 18. Only she can say why she glommed on to that woman's life as a pretend teen. She is 34! I suspect that a Evangelical Christian HS may not be as bad as a public one.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 11:39 pm

Sounds like she was copying an episode of CSI or similar - can't remember which series now. A thirty year old woman claimed she was 15 and a runaway and got put into a foster home then redid her high school years. She only got found out because someone found a photo of her at another hight school many years earlier.

IrisIndigo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2014, 11:57 pm

I agree with the first post. Highschool was hell for me as was middle school. If I were to go back I'd go back to college: where the teachers didn't hate their jobs and I was free to soak up as much information as possible in a safe enviorment.
Though in this case, I beleive the woman just wanted someone to pay for a roof over her head.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 8:05 am

when i was at school, i didn't realize it was a place to learn things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 8:27 am

Then there's always the GED.....

I, myself, would never want to re-live the high school experience.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 12:12 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Sounds like she was copying an episode of CSI or similar - can't remember which series now. A thirty year old woman claimed she was 15 and a runaway and got put into a foster home then redid her high school years. She only got found out because someone found a photo of her at another hight school many years earlier.

That was 21 Jump Street, actually.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 2:38 pm

pezar wrote:
ehymw wrote:

Apparently she walked into a church and told a woman she was 15, and that she ran away from an abusive home. The woman took her in, and naturally enrolled her in school, since in many states kids have to be in school until either 16 or 18. Only she can say why she glommed on to that woman's life as a pretend teen. She is 34! I suspect that a Evangelical Christian HS may not be as bad as a public one.

She probably considered that her last lifeline. People do silly things when they are desperate or not thinking straight. This person doesn't need jailtime, she needs help.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 9:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Then there's always the GED.....

I, myself, would never want to re-live the high school experience.

Many aspects of the high school experience sucked for me, but I liked the utter lack of responsibility I had, the fact that it gave me a structured environment to socialize in, the fact that I had more friends, the fact that it was easier to keep in touch with said friends, the cafeteria food (seriously, my old high school had a decent cafeteria), the amount of support I had, and simply the fact that it gave me an excuse to live at home and NOT have a job or pay rent or whatever. :P

I whined and complained a lot about high school back when I went, but looking back now, I really quite miss it. I'm also still kicking myself for not graduating or going to prom.

With all the things I miss about high school, do you think going to college would provide a decent alternative for me?

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2014, 2:16 pm

I suspect this has a lot to do with scamming/money/love of manipulation, not so much to do with recapturing her HS years.