khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:22 pm

starvingartist wrote:
Giftorcurse wrote:
khaoz wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
i wonder if he was a member here. his rhetoric certainly sounds familiar.

I think he would have used his picture instead of an avatar. He just begs for attention

Classic sign of narcissism. A desire to show off.

more digs at me for using my picture for an avatar? thanks, guys. cool. :thumleft:

No, I apologize. I didn't mean it to sound that way, but I thought as I was writing it that is could be viewed that way. I apologize for the misunderstanding. You do not appear the least bit narcissistic to me.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:34 pm

I feel so sorry for everyone involved, including the guy's family. I can't fathom what it must be like to discover your son, brother, whatever, did such a thing....

And he committed this horrible atrocity because of his sense of entitlement. These people died for nothing. Watched the whole video now. :? :(

(not a native speaker)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:34 pm

He is being called autistic on another chat forum.I was hoping that this was not true and just speculation.Haven't heard anything about it on CNN.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:41 pm

YourMajesty wrote:
And he committed this horrible atrocity because of his sense of entitlement. These people died for nothing. Watched the whole video now. :? :(

Psychopaths or sociopaths tend to feel like society owes them something.

sueinphilly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2014, 3:41 pm

I'm glad the gunman is dead. As bad as this kind of event is, it's even more of a spectacle when the gunman is arrested.

I want to know where he got the gun. And who let's their 22 yo drive a brand new BMW?

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:43 pm

^From what I've heard, he's the son of one of the assistant directors for a Hunger Games movie.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:50 pm

sueinphilly wrote:
I'm glad the gunman is dead. As bad as this kind of event is, it's even more of a spectacle when the gunman is arrested.

I want to know where he got the gun. And who let's their 22 yo drive a brand new BMW?

As Giftorcurse pointed out, his family was loaded. Money opens a lot of doors. Apparently one of those doors is obtaining a handgun in the state of California.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:50 pm

Misslizard wrote:
He is being called autistic on another chat forum.I was hoping that this was not true and just speculation.Haven't heard anything about it on CNN.

Unfortunately:

"But Peter Rodger's lawyer, Alan Shifman, said on Saturday that the "family believes the child was the perpetrator".

He said the son had Asperger's syndrome, had trouble making friends and had been receiving professional help. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27561127

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:53 pm

sueinphilly wrote:

People who worship money and status buy their kids BMW's for 16th birthday presents. Nothing beats worshipping money and status more than teaching your kids to worship money and status

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 4:06 pm

Ghostgirl wrote:
CBC news confirmed that he was diagnosed with aspergers.

Already???

Crap!

Generally it takes them a day or two before they start talking about what was wrong with the shooter.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 4:08 pm

khaoz wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Giftorcurse wrote:
khaoz wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
i wonder if he was a member here. his rhetoric certainly sounds familiar.

I think he would have used his picture instead of an avatar. He just begs for attention

Classic sign of narcissism. A desire to show off.

more digs at me for using my picture for an avatar? thanks, guys. cool. :thumleft:

No, I apologize. I didn't mean it to sound that way, but I thought as I was writing it that is could be viewed that way. I apologize for the misunderstanding. You do not appear the least bit narcissistic to me.

that's ok, i've done the same thing and only realised that it might be taken the wrong way after i posted it. it happens, even to people who aren't autistic. honest mistake. :)

Skullbug
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 May 2014, 4:33 pm

There's a video supposedly of one of the killer's rants. This blog also has a transcript of said rant if you don't want to hear it.
I'm listening to it right now. A Nice Guy and a psychopath, brr! 8O

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2014, 4:33 pm

To be honest I'm surprised that more people on the spectrum don't go on shooting sprees. If you are young and socially isolated, and face lots of negativity from others then it's easy to become contemptuous to the rest of the world. Why acknowledge the humanity in others if they won't see it in you.

Still it seems stupid throwing it all away at such a young age. Writing off the rest of the world like this guy did should only be an option after all the other strategies have been exhausted. At 22 you can't definitively say all options have been exhausted.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 4:40 pm

o0iella wrote:
Still it seems stupid throwing it all away at such a young age. Writing off the rest of the world like this guy did should only be an option after all the other strategies have been exhausted. At 22 you can't definitively say all options have been exhausted.

An indicator of psychopathy is a demand for immediate gratification. He wasn't getting what HE wanted.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 4:43 pm

sueinphilly wrote:
Agreed! An arrest and all that would only be a costly spectacle and costlier still to house him in prison.

Quote:
I want to know where he got the gun.
Probably a gun shop. That's where I get most of mine.

Quote:
And who let's their 22 yo drive a brand new BMW?
Unless he needed his parents to buy the car for him, there's not much of a way to stop a 22 year old from driving his car. I made a show of letting my parents know they had zero control over me before I was 22.

Last edited by Raptor on 24 May 2014, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2014, 4:44 pm

Damn, these things are becoming every day occurrences in this country. Will we ever get past this, because the discourse is too polarized for solutions.