Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 7:13 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:
Josef Stalin, the well-known Russian dictator, was empowered by the defeat of Hitler, but his methods were very similar, and his victims suffered for many years after D-day.

I guess I am not the only one who is confused.

Once again, you're comparing events that cannot be compared. YES, Stalin was a horrible monster. After the war he brutalized his people by the millions.
Stop comparing this with that. We had to do a deal with the devil himself (Stalin) to get rid of Hitler. We knew he would continue to be a monster after WWII. But so was Mao, so was pol Pot. World War II was never called "The War To End All Wars."

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2014, 7:15 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
One of the survivors I saw on a documentary said he was wounded, and lying on a stretcher on the beach when a German sniper shot the medic tending to him right through the Red Cross on his helmet. It doesn't get much worse than that

In 'modern' wars such as Syria, Nigeria, etc, stuff like that is so commonplace that it doesn't even get a mention. Arguably, D-day marked the end of such old-fashioned ideas of chivalry, fair play, etc etc, but in fact, those things probably never existed.

We celebrate D-day because it was the only unequivocal military success since the Norman invasion of England. America beat Japan by dropping a nuclear bomb - how does that compare with a German sniper shooting a medic through the cross on his helmet - do you seriously believe that an allied sniper would not have done the same thing? Does America celebrate Hiroshima in the same way that we celebrate D-day? What's the difference?

70 years on from D-day, we are still trying to pretend that we don't use torture against our enemies.

I am entirely happy for the WW2 veterans to share their memories and enjoy their day out with the English Royal Family, but we shouldn't try to fool ourselves that they are any more than ancient history.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2014, 7:23 pm

http://chronicle.com/blognetwork/edgeof ... -all-wars/

The usage of ?war to end all wars,? which I had usually taken to refer to the Great War, and (at least at first) to be un-ironic, doesn?t really start in any serious way until the 1930s, a period when it was pretty clear that the Great War wasn?t going to be the last one. It hit an early peak in 1943, when it was likely being used as a lament ? ?we thought we had fought the war to end all wars, but?? ? and rose steadily in the post-World War II years. It strikes me that, from this evidence (to which all the usual caveats apply), that ?war to end all wars? was only really used in a substantial way when it already clearly didn?t apply to 1914-1918. World War II (or its threat) had already come along and made tragic the phrase by the time ?war to end all wars? became common.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 6:32 am

MrGrumpy wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:
We try to persuade ourselves that D-Day was the final sacrifice, it saved the civilised world, and from then on the world has only got better. Not true.

That it 'saved civilization' is arguably true. The rest are things that no one claims.

I started the thread because I find the whole business of war totally confusing. For the British survivors, WW2 sometimes comes over as a massive adventure, straight out of 'Boys' Own Paper'. The retreat to Dunkirk is celebrated as a major success, and the Battle of Britain is a classic David against Goliath story. London's survival of the German blitz is somehow attributed to the 'Dunkirk Spirit'.

To a large extent, the Germans were defeated by the Cloak&Dagger activities of the intelligence services - long live the Scarlet Pimpernel! Ian Fleming's James Bond stories were very much based on real WW2 events involving SOE/SAS.

WW2 brought us Dame Vera Lynn, Glenn Miller, and the JitterBug, not to mention ITMA, Bing Crosby and nylon stockings. Hell - it was a whole lot of fun. And D-day was the party to end all parties.

IMHO, the D-day celebrations should have taken the form of a 3-day-long shutdown of all radio and TV stations. All cinemas should have been required to show continuous footage of the death and destruction, and for a week afterwards, we should have been treated to the story of all the subsequent wars in which the Western powers have abused their position of wealth and power in their continuing, but so far failed, quest to impose their values upon the rest of the world.

The only thing which is special about WW2 is that there was an undisputed bad guy - and he lost...

Okay. Kinda see where you're coming from.

D-Day is a big deal here in the States as well. But ( I imagine) that it may not be framed in the same way as it is in the UK. We Americans have had so damned many wars SINCE WWII that we cant think of D-Day has having ended all wars.So the D-Day obserrvences here are presented in a rather sober/somber way,and ( I imagine) in a less high spirited way than in the UK.

But still...you honor Jonas Salk for inventing the Polio Vaccine. You dont dump on Jonas Salk just because there are still other bad diseases around. You honor the vets of D-Day for defeating one villian. The fact that there are still other villians around doesnt effect that.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 1:17 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:
Josef Stalin, the well-known Russian dictator, was empowered by the defeat of Hitler, but his methods were very similar, and his victims suffered for many years after D-day.

I guess I am not the only one who is confused.

Once again, you're comparing events that cannot be compared. YES, Stalin was a horrible monster. After the war he brutalized his people by the millions.
Stop comparing this with that. We had to do a deal with the devil himself (Stalin) to get rid of Hitler. We knew he would continue to be a monster after WWII. But so was Mao, so was pol Pot. World War II was never called "The War To End All Wars."

hitler was taken out because he removed the rothschild family from its place of power in germany

the rothschild family used its powers to set up the alliances that started WW1 and may have even had their hands in the assassination that started it all. in ww2 the land germany took from poland was part of germany pre ww1.
also if anyones a bunch of evil monsters in ww2 it was the united states
they fire bombed entire citys killing hundreds of thousands in single nights

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 5:30 pm

/\ /\ Oh my yes, the USA was simply horrible. Just because the Nazi regime was refusing to surrender, they bombed Dresden. The Nazis bombed London, and nearly burned it to the ground. The Americans fought long and hard to push the Nazis back towards Berlin, and sometimes in war things are done which are later regretted by nincompoops.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 6:59 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
/\ /\ Oh my yes, the USA was simply horrible. Just because the Nazi regime was refusing to surrender, they bombed Dresden. The Nazis bombed London, and nearly burned it to the ground. The Americans fought long and hard to push the Nazis back towards Berlin, and sometimes in war things are done which are later regretted by nincompoops.

The United states all burned Japan down too also they daughter a skeleton crew all the way to Berlin the Russians did the real fighting

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 11:54 pm

It was brave, insane, and it worked. It makes good press in Europe.

We left more dead on beaches in the Pacific, islands where 125,000 Japanese were never heard from again,

War Crimes are things the winners say about the losers.

It was planned and run by bad managemrnt, civilians with six weeks training jumped in to hell and most came out of grad school as fighters. It was a steep learning curve.

It could have been better, killing all French males would have helped. Bought in blood, why give it up?

Europe is just a problem.

But for the poor eighteen year old draftees, they came through.

A massive German counter attack was expected, something like the battles with Russians, where everyone dies, it never happened.

Who was most evil is still in despute, I think all. It was a speedy end to war, a good idea.

For all the problems, the troops were heros, they expected to die, they won.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 9:37 am

MrGrumpy wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
One of the survivors I saw on a documentary said he was wounded, and lying on a stretcher on the beach when a German sniper shot the medic tending to him right through the Red Cross on his helmet. It doesn't get much worse than that

In 'modern' wars such as Syria, Nigeria, etc, stuff like that is so commonplace that it doesn't even get a mention. Arguably, D-day marked the end of such old-fashioned ideas of chivalry, fair play, etc etc, but in fact, those things probably never existed.

We celebrate D-day because it was the only unequivocal military success since the Norman invasion of England. America beat Japan by dropping a nuclear bomb - how does that compare with a German sniper shooting a medic through the cross on his helmet - do you seriously believe that an allied sniper would not have done the same thing? Does America celebrate Hiroshima in the same way that we celebrate D-day? What's the difference?

70 years on from D-day, we are still trying to pretend that we don't use torture against our enemies.

I am entirely happy for the WW2 veterans to share their memories and enjoy their day out with the English Royal Family, but we shouldn't try to fool ourselves that they are any more than ancient history.

We do not celebrate Hiroshima. It was a horrific event. I feel sick when I think about the lives lost. I am not proud that the country I call home ever did something like that.

We remember D-day because it was an event that that turned the tides and enabled the allies to beat Hitler. D-day has nothing to do with any other war. Remembering D-day is not the same thing as discounting or ignoring what has happened in other wars.

My Grandfather flew on D-Day. He flew transport on the second wave, and then he had the job of transporting wounded soldiers back to England. I remember him telling me about flying the wounded soldiers back and I will always remember and treasure the care he took of them. That is what I think about on D-Day.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 10:01 am

ImeldaJace wrote:
We do not celebrate Hiroshima. It was a horrific event. I feel sick when I think about the lives lost. I am not proud that the country I call home ever did something like that.

But how many lives would have been lost, there's and ours, if Hiroshima and Nagasaki not been nuked and Japan had to be conquered via conventional warfare?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 10:27 am

Raptor wrote:
ImeldaJace wrote:

But how many lives would have been lost, there's and ours, if Hiroshima and Nagasaki not been nuked and Japan had to be conquered via conventional warfare?

The estimates by USA tacticians ran into the hundreds of thousands soldiers that would have died trying to take the main island of Japan. The truth of the matter is that the scientists involved in the Manhattan Project begged Truman to drop the first bomb on an uninhabited island. They felt that the magnitude of destruction would convince the Japanese High Command to surrender. Truman obviously felt otherwise. One thing people don't mention these days is that the Japanese paid no attention to the Geneva Convention, and did such things as making our POW's work in their munitions factories, killing our medics on the field of battle, and convincing civilians to commit suicide rather than be captured by the USA troops. Truman wanted to end the war quickly. He had no idea about radiation after effects, as the scientists didn't linger around the desert in New Mexico after the tests.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 10:36 am

/\ The horrifically costly Battle of Okinawa was a sample of what taking Japan would have been like had it been done conventionally.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 12:20 pm

Raptor wrote:
/\ The horrifically costly Battle of Okinawa was a sample of what taking Japan would have been like had it been done conventionally.

It was estimate that invading Japan was the equivalent of a dozen invasions of Normandy.

The casualties could have ended up between a half million and a million use troops. If we had to invade Japan after the war seen amputees being wheeled around in baskets would have been a common sight in American cities. To the folks at Los Alamos, Hanford and Oak Ridge who produced nuclear weapons, I say Thank You!! !! !

ruveyn

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 1:35 pm

I am not going to argue about what should or shouldn't have happened. There is no changing the past. What matters to me is what actually did happen.

About 150,000 people where killed instantly by the bombs. Thousands more suffered injuries especially severe burns, and about as many people died soon after the explosions because of their injuries. The after effects of the radiation alone were astronomical. All sorts of cancers, birth defects and high rates of miscarriages, and deaths of infants and children. It is impossible to tell for sure how many people died for sure, but a rough estimate is 200,000 to 250,000 people. Many Americans were killed too. Although in reality, does it even matter what country they belonged to? The people who died were not the ones fighting. They were civilians. Along with the Japanese, an estimated 3,000 US civilians died, and they were mostly women and children.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2014, 1:43 pm

I think this has been an interesting discussion, and I am pleased that not everybody accepts without question the triumphalist nature of the recent D-day celebrations. But the fact remains that for many of the survivors of war, their wartime experiences become the 'best days of their lives'. Many others, however, fall victim to Depression, PTSD and Suicide.

I have my own ideas about why the human race feels such a need to fight wars, and it is not simply about gaining or protecting power and/or territory.

I think that war provides an opportunity for the human race to test its own limits and capabilities to the point of destruction. Huge areas of human expertise are inspired and funded by the military. In the UK, the ubiquitous Ordnance Survey was originally set up in order to provide decent maps. Veterinary science came into being because of the military requirement for healthy horses. Modern computers are almost a by-product of the techniques which were developed in WW2 in order to decode the enemy's radio messages. The mapping of the ocean floors took place largely in order to facilitate the deployment of nuclear submarines. And the atom bomb itself was developed for the specific purpose of winning the war against the Japanese. Space exploration in general, and GPS in particular, is largely a military venture.

But war also tests our emotional responses - mothers and fathers grieve for their sons and daughters, and sons and daughters grieve for their parents. Husbands grieve for their wives, and wives grieve for their husbands. But all are expected to accept that the loss of life is OK because it is part of the 'fight for right'. In the Western world, that idea is beginning to come under scrutiny, but young Muslims are beginning to behave in a similar way to young Englishmen in WW1 - they are signing up without question to a completely false idea.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:04 pm

/\ /\ Very well written.
As for killing, and going to war being a part of the human psyche, it seems to be true. I'm not a big believer in evolution, but it could go back to the earliest humans who survived only by killing other humans who were not of their tribe. People forget the Korean 'war'. It came on the heels of WWII, but was more like WWI in the way it was fought. And the wars go on, in the name of religion, and just for the power to rule people.
When people ask why we don't see any real evidence of extraterrestrial visitors, I ask them, would you want to visit such a bloody violent planet where the inhabitants are constantly killing each other ??? There must be nicer places to visit.