Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 1:00 pm

This vid aired during the NBA finals.
http://nativenewsonline.net/currents/proud-native/

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 1:40 pm

I think people need to worry about bigger issues than this.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 1:47 pm

I'm a native of America so therefor a native American.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 1:53 pm

I think the discussion can potentially be helpful.

The term 'Redskin' is pretty much a direct slur.

Now, the interesting thing, the actual team logo on the helmets is a dignified profile of a Native American.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 1:53 pm

The only time you qualified as a " redskin" was on your visit to AR and you got a sunburn,you know you are white as a biscuit.Ive lived here all my life,spend hours in the sun,and I only got a sunburn once,I was in a chlorinated pool for about four hours.
Maybe people do have bigger fish to fry,but the term is disrespectful.I have no problem with the term Warriors or Braves.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 1:59 pm

Would the Washington White Folks upset you?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 2:00 pm

Misslizard wrote:
The only time you qualified as a " redskin" was on your visit to AR and you got a sunburn,you know you are white as a biscuit.Ive lived here all my life,spend hours in the sun,and I only got a sunburn once,I was in a chlorinated pool for about four hours.
I've been sunburned worse than that trip to Arkansas. What made that time suck was that I had sunburn AND a lot of chigger bites AND poison ivy at the same time. White as a biscuit? I've never heard that before.

Quote:
Maybe people do have bigger fish to fry,but the term is disrespectful.I have no problem with the term Warriors or Braves.
Tuff titty.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 2:04 pm

Here's a longer version of the same ad on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-tbOxlhvE

President Obama recently visited an Indian reservation, and he's only like the third American president to do so ? ? ?

During his campaign said he wanted American Indians to have access to quality health care and a world class education. Well, those are broad policy goals easier said than done. Native children should certainly have the same good quality education as all children. And there should be a variety of colleges, universities, different types of job training for persons of all ages.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 2:09 pm

Use the whole phrase,Tough titty said the kitty but the milks still good....There's more.Oh and but the way,you are short changing people with your Eat Me cookies you post.The full insult is,Eat me like a peanut patty,nuts and all.I cannot use it as I don't have the equipment.
Sunburn,I laugh at it.
White folks don't mind being called white folks,but I like The Honkies,let's call then that. :D

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 2:40 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Use the whole phrase,Tough titty said the kitty but the milks still good....
Yeah, I've heard that one before.

Quote:
There's more.Oh and but the way,you are short changing people with your Eat Me cookies you post.The full insult is,Eat me like a peanut patty,nuts and all.
That would be trolling. :shameonyou:

Quote:
Sunburn,I laugh at it.
So do I when it's someone else. :lol:

Quote:
White folks don't mind being called white folks,but I like The Honkies,let's call then that. :D
The terms honkie and cracker are still racism.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 2:42 pm

Oh I know that,but if there is a team called the Redskins there should be one called the Georgia Crackers,or The Goober Grabbers,it's only fair.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 3:27 pm

People with roots going back to colonial Georgia and Florida take the pride in the name "cracker". You'd have to understand the early history of that region to know why, and there you might find out that some of those crackers were also black.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 3:43 pm

When I attended the University of Utah, its sports teams were called the "Running Utes" and the "Lady Utes" (as in the Ute Nation). The mascot performer at the games then was a male Ute student in authentic period clothing (meaning, very little) on horseback. He was paid (scholarship) and everyone loved the imagery. The job of being mascot was highly coveted and only available to Ute students.

Since then, the university has changed the team names to simply the "Utes" because somebody mistakenly claimed that the descriptor "running" referred to Utes being chased by white Mormon settlers. The presumption was far from the truth as Mormon settlers throughout the state went out of their way to integrate their settlements with the surrounding five nations and worked to protect them as much as their own. But, the PC crowd wouldn't listen.

Also since my time at the university, the mascot has been changed to one of those unbiquitous mystery-gender cheerleaders in a stifling-hot costume known as "Swoop, the redtail hawk" because some students believed that the image of a Ute on horseback was patronizing and, therefore, offensive.

All the while that these changes were proposed and adopted, the Ute student association, the Ute Nation and those students who spent more than three seconds considering what opinions the Utes themselves had about the matter tried to describe how the Ute students and their families loved being identified with the university, its teams and its mascot. The university has a Ute scholarship trust fund which assists Ute students to attend college.

So, in the end, white guilt beat Ute pride. A giant mia culpa without legitimacy.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 5:02 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Oh I know that,but if there is a team called the Redskins there should be one called the Georgia Crackers,or The Goober Grabbers,it's only fair.

Now THOSE would be great team names ! !!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 5:33 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Now THOSE would be great team names ! !!

Sooo, abject racism is "only fair" if it is targeted at "poor, usually Southern white" people? Please explain and remember that this logical fallacy is the principle that bad or unethical behavior justifies -- and somehow makes ethical -- the bad or unethical behavior that is intended to counter it. The logical extension of this fallacy is the abandonment of all ethical standards.

As I have written elsewhere at this forum, all people have the right to express their beliefs, but risk sometimes violating certain laws that prohibit libel, slander and creating unnecessary panic. But, I fail to see the apparent humor in doing exactly that which has been shown in opinion polls to offend people who are described by the terminology that is used whether the offended people are American Indians or not. The attempted humor underscores an obvious intent to disparage others where there is (claimed) no such intent among those who support the NFL Washington Redskins team name.

Or, did I just bite the bait?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Last edited by AspieUtah on 26 Jun 2014, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chromanebula
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2014, 6:10 pm

Change the logo to a redskin potato. Liberals will be happy because "Redskin" Potato won't be a racial slur. Conservatives will be happy because the team will be able to keep the name. And what could be more American than a potato?