Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 12:55 am

This story is just sad.
http://www.news.com.au/world/parents-ar ... 6976756252

The parents tried to claim they did it for his own good. I hope they spend some time in a cage themselves and see how they like it...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 8:48 am

Some people should never have kids.I hope they find a decent home for the child and jail for his parents.Lets hope they don't have any other children.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 10:13 am

I need more information. The story says the boy was clean and uninjured. I am wondering if he was in the cage 24/7 or if it served as a method of restraint during outbursts? Granted a dog cage is probably not the best choice, but seclusionary techniches are not unheard of. It depends on if his outbursts are violent or injurious.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 4:21 pm

Someone had once commented how autistic children weren't treated like human beings. In cases like this, I see what she means.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 9:21 pm

i agree, a more concise story would really help.

but Anaheim, the home of disneyland...the irony, the sad sad irony. just another reason to dislike California.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 10:59 pm

It's horrible what happened to the boy. However, I would also like a more detailed story. I also feel that the government should hand out parenting licenses. Parenting classes should be mandatory for couples who want kids and they should babysit children of all kinds with hidden surveillance cameras running as a part of those classes. If they can go through that without abusing the children for any reason, they can be given their parenting licenses.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 12:29 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
It's horrible what happened to the boy. However, I would also like a more detailed story. I also feel that the government should hand out parenting licenses. Parenting classes should be mandatory for couples who want kids and they should babysit children of all kinds with hidden surveillance cameras running as a part of those classes. If they can go through that without abusing the children for any reason, they can be given their parenting licenses.

It'll never happen, and in many circumstances probably shouldn't. Some overzealous types had tried in the past to get CPS after my wife and I primarily due to our economic status. Thankfully, we we're proven innocent of everything but poverty, and still have our daughter.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 4:33 pm

Some other details I've heard about this story:

1. There were several other young children in the house, and the parents were worried for their safety.
2. The autistic child was not kept in the cage all the time, but only when he was having a violent meltdown.
3. The cage was actually the size of a small room, with space to stand up and walk around, and a bed inside.

I feel like the parents were doing the best they could, and just need more support to find a better way for everyone. I don't think these were terrible people who didn't love their child.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 5:48 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Some other details I've heard about this story:

1. There were several other young children in the house, and the parents were worried for their safety.
2. The autistic child was not kept in the cage all the time, but only when he was having a violent meltdown.
3. The cage was actually the size of a small room, with space to stand up and walk around, and a bed inside.

I feel like the parents were doing the best they could, and just need more support to find a better way for everyone. I don't think these were terrible people who didn't love their child.

The cage was actually designed for small-medium sized dogs and if you watch the video it's size specifications make it portable and nowhere like the size of a small room (it's just a few metres by a metre high).