Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 11:42 am

So... as per usual(tm), they interviewed someone on the radio to talk about their supposed efforts against darknets... and I think their main point, in lieu of actually declaring a non-existent victory (I'm thinking this will turn out like with piracy... I seriously doubt anyone can stop people copying files, just like they can't stop anyone using encryption)... was in saying that "drugs deliver misery"... so, uh, I cried out in misery, of course. No doubt, besides unknowledgeable and purposeless interviews, misery *must exactly* be the reason why thousands of people want the stuff! Wow, misery's practically become a fetish now!

Or... just perhaps, they just don't, and the interviewee saying that was a distraction to how pathetic they really are... yes?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 12:21 pm

Sounds like a good example of the RAND Corp. Dephi method https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphi_method which "is a structured communication technique, originally developed as a systematic, interactive forecasting method which relies on a panel of experts. The experts answer questionnaires in two or more rounds. After each round, a facilitator provides an anonymous summary of the experts? forecasts from the previous round as well as the reasons they provided for their judgments. Thus, experts are encouraged to revise their earlier answers in light of the replies of other members of their panel. It is believed that during this process the range of the answers will decrease and the group will converge towards the 'correct' answer. Finally, the process is stopped after a pre-defined stop criterion (e.g. number of rounds, achievement of consensus, stability of results) and the mean or median scores of the final rounds determine the results."

The method is made worse when the "facilitator" blandishes or generalizes the answers between question rounds from, say, "I worry sometimes about my drug use" to, say, "my drug use causes me misery." The method's use of that age-old "better of two evils" choice is exactly why people who wouldn't ever describe their own experiences as "misery" do suddenly when the alternative answer is, say, "my drug use makes me happy."

By the way, the Delphi method is everywhere in life, especially in advertising, politics and business. Like with Neuro-Linguistic Programming, watch out for the Delphi method, and don't play along.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)