Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 6:00 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
Only blacks can be police.....perhaps.

lol

I don't think blacks are any less prone to brutality than whites. The problem isn't the fact that cops kill, beat, and harass people. Let's be real. Dirty cops are here to stay, and even good cops can make mistakes. The problem, as I see it, is the fact that there is no punishment for a cop when that cop unjustly takes another person's life. It's not fair!

For those who are skeptical, Watch this video and tell me how the cops did not do something wrong? What threat did Eric Garner pose to the cops in the video?

Eric Garner video

These cops killed Eric Garner in broad daylight with a crowd watching and someone recording the whole thing! The crime Eric Garner was accused of was selling cigarettes illegally!? Come on. If I had time, I could come up with plenty more examples of stuff like this...AND THE COPS KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT!

We need a justice system in America where cops who do stuff like this face criminal charges and spend time behind bars. A badge should not be a protection against committing crimes.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 7:59 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
When a man says he can't breath and is continuously choked for no reason, that is brutality.

If you can talk, you can breathe. His obesity and failure to follow the law killed him.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 8:08 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
blah blah blah

Yes, there's abuse and brutality. You have to show that it's outside of reasonable standards though (in comparison to abuse and brutality in any government position). If you're to claim that it exists, it's on you to provide proof.

You do know that the majority of violence perpetuated by people isn't from the police, right? It just doesn't make the news unless there's something about it that fits an agenda.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 8:31 pm

Dillogic wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
When a man says he can't breath and is continuously choked for no reason, that is brutality.

If you can talk, you can breathe. His obesity and failure to follow the law killed him.

Might be able to get a few words out before you run out of air..., pretty sure the officer who choked him to death killed him not obesity or breaking the law. And how is selling cigarettes a crime deserving of death or any kind of brutality anyways?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 8:39 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
blah blah blah

I have nothing to offer but immature misquoting of posters I disagree with

I do believe you drastically misquoted me... :roll:

That aside, what is 'reasonable standards' to you? perhaps we disagree on this, what I have seen and observed, exprienced read about and seen videos of goes beyond what I see as 'reasonable standards'. I already mentioned some examples if you want more go look it up yourself its not hard...To me any abuse of power is outside reasonable standards, shooting someones dog just because or using excessive force, or intimidation tactics is outside of reasonable standards. Even it if only happens sometimes....trouble is then officers who commit such crimes like I said get a slap on the wrist and no real criminal charges like they would if they where just a citizen, which is BS.

Besides you already acknowledged their is police brutality, I see it as a probem maybe you don't...and I never suggested police commit the most crimes, but that does not excuse them when they do commit crimes, use excessive force or otherwise abuse their power.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 8:41 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Might be able to get a few words out before you run out of air..., pretty sure the officer who choked him to death killed him not obesity or breaking the law. And how is selling cigarettes a crime deserving of death or any kind of brutality anyways?

As far as I can tell, his obesity is what led to his death, in addition to resisting arrest. It wasn't deemed a crime by common people with access to all evidence, so I don't see the problem. Reasonable standards would have been met.

That's a law problem, not a police one.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 8:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

That aside, what is 'reasonable standards' to you? perhaps we disagree on this, what I have seen and observed, exprienced read about and seen videos of goes beyond what I see as 'reasonable standards'. I already mentioned some examples if you want more go look it up yourself its not hard...To me any abuse of power is outside reasonable standards, shooting someones dog just because or using excessive force, or intimidation tactics is outside of reasonable standards. Even it if only happens sometimes....trouble is then officers who commit such crimes like I said get a slap on the wrist and no real criminal charges like they would if they where just a citizen, which is BS.

Besides you already acknowledged their is police brutality, I see it as a probem maybe you don't...and I never suggested police commit the most crimes, but that does not excuse them when they do commit crimes, use excessive force or otherwise abuse their power.

You didn't supply much to reply to. I can talk about anecdotes all day regarding abuse and the lack of the same. That means little. Just because a handful of things happen, doesn't mean they're the whole hand.

You say they only get a slap on the wrist, but they're judged by an entirely different government power. They don't judge themselves. They're judged based on the law, which then is processed through the courts. People that aren't police might not be judged the same in the same instances, but that's because it's not their job to enforce the law. Shooting a dog when prosecuting an arrest or investigation comes under their job if the animal is a threat. I can shoot a private dog too if it's a threat (I can shoot wild ones for free). The law defines what happens, and if it's a so-called "slap" or not if they do something people don't like.

Which is why police are investigated when they do something that seems amiss. You can reasonable assume if they have been investigated, and that it has been found that nothing was amiss (by common citizens), then it's probably not abuse.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 10:13 pm

There's reasonable skepticism, and then their is pig headed refusal to look at reality; I'm just going to throw that out there.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 3:59 am

Yeah, and I see most of the bad things happening in society by people other than police, and no one bothers to prove if bad things by the latter are unreasonable in comparison. I guess I am biased, but only biased to the most probable that will affect me.

The media doesn't seem to care all about that though unless there's an object they hate involved.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

27 Dec 2014, 5:17 am

Decriminalize victimless crimes so ending the Drug War is a must, mandate body cameras on all police, make the standards for becoming an officer higher and only hire the most qualified mentally fit candidates, reverse the militarization of police over the course of the last 20+ years, no more quotas or "minimum contacts", require mental health training, teach and encourage deescalation as opposed to use of force, no more using no-knock SWAT raids to serve warrants, actually follow the US constitution...

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 10:45 am

Jacoby wrote:
Decriminalize victimless crimes so ending the Drug War is a must
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen, as much as I'd like to see the "war on drugs" :roll: end myself. There's too much money being made and too many empires built around it.

Quote:
mandate body cameras on all police, make the standards for becoming an officer higher and only hire the most qualified mentally fit candidates, reverse the militarization of police over the course of the last 20+ years, no more quotas or "minimum contacts", require mental health training, teach and encourage deescalation as opposed to use of force,
The best thing about that is there will be a lot fewer cops out there since the job will be less attractive and there will be fewer qualified candidates.

Quote:
no more using no-knock SWAT raids to serve warrants, actually follow the US constitution...
Most people dont care about that until it's their door being kicked in, their family terrorized, and their dog shot just for being there..............all over an alleged bag of reefer.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 11:13 pm

Maybe this would work: Whenever the police use deadly force they most justify its use in a special court set up to handle such matters. In short, the burden of proof or justification is on the police.

The choke hold case was an utter disgrace. I hope they fired the cop that did it right off the force.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 11:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Maybe this would work: Whenever the police use deadly force they most justify its use in a special court set up to handle such matters. In short, the burden of proof or justification is on the police.

Uh, no.

Innocent until proven guilty. If you can't prove someone is guilty, then they aren't. You do know what happens when the burden shifts to the accused, right? Guess what, I saw you kill someone! Off to jail you go until you prove you didn't do it. Nice [real] police state you're living in now.

(And no, the police shouldn't be treated differently than us. They are "us". They're not military. The more you separate them the more divide you make.)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 4:35 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

As far as I can tell, his obesity is what led to his death, in addition to resisting arrest. It wasn't deemed a crime by common people with access to all evidence, so I don't see the problem. Reasonable standards would have been met.

That's a law problem, not a police one.

Yeah of course, lack of oxygen wasn't a factor at all :roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 4:41 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

You didn't supply much to reply to. I can talk about anecdotes all day regarding abuse and the lack of the same. That means little. Just because a handful of things happen, doesn't mean they're the whole hand.

You say they only get a slap on the wrist, but they're judged by an entirely different government power. They don't judge themselves. They're judged based on the law, which then is processed through the courts. People that aren't police might not be judged the same in the same instances, but that's because it's not their job to enforce the law. Shooting a dog when prosecuting an arrest or investigation comes under their job if the animal is a threat. I can shoot a private dog too if it's a threat (I can shoot wild ones for free). The law defines what happens, and if it's a so-called "slap" or not if they do something people don't like.

Which is why police are investigated when they do something that seems amiss. You can reasonable assume if they have been investigated, and that it has been found that nothing was amiss (by common citizens), then it's probably not abuse.

Yeah just because you saw no value in what I posted does not mean a proper response is to misquote me to have said 'bla, bla, bla' that is just rude.

Also I was not talking about instances where the dog is a threat, obviously if they are making an arrest or stopping a crime and there is a dog that is a threat that might be grounds to use force against it. But I have seen plenty of videos and have read plenty of articles on dogs being shot where its not nessisary. Also if anything cops should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen...why should a police officer who commits a serious crime be given a lesser punishment than an average citizen? There are even cops who think one of the biggest problems is cops not being held responsible for their behavior:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/12/06/i-was-a-st-louis-cop-my-peers-were-racist-and-violent-and-theres-only-one-fix/

Sure police get investigated for crimes, and then receive a slap on the wrist compared to what the average citizen guilty of the same or similar crime would receive.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 7:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yeah of course, lack of oxygen wasn't a factor at all :roll:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was only held around the neck for a short time, and not in a way that would damage any structures. He was on his side so he couldn't have a compressed chest.

I also recall he was breathing the whole time, and it was a heart attack later on that killed him.

We wrestled as school far harder than what was shown (I'm failing to see excessive force in this case).