So what do y'all think of Rachel Dolezal?

Page 12 of 15 [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2020, 2:12 am

naturalplastic wrote:
And failing that she could...claim that, like everyone else in the human race, her cave man ancestors came out of Africa in the stone age 100 thousand years ago, and therefore she has "Black African ancestry" that way! :D

Many of the pro-black or afrocentrists in the US are fond of reminding us that everyone originated in Africa, that's why I find it odd that so many believe Dolezal can't be black. You cant decide when and whom somebody is African when we are all ancestrally African.

For example this person below is African-American and doesn't need to the NAACP to validate her identity

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2020, 2:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
And failing that she could...claim that, like everyone else in the human race, her cave man ancestors came out of Africa in the stone age 100 thousand years ago, and therefore she has "Black African ancestry" that way! :D

Many of the pro-black or afrocentrists in the US are fond of reminding us that everyone originated in Africa, that's why I find it odd that so many believe Dolezal can't be black. You cant decide when and whom somebody is African when we are all ancestrally African.

For example this person below is African-American and doesn't need to the NAACP to validate her identity

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek about Dolzel invoking the out of africa hypothesis. Even if she invoked it she still wouldnt be what is commonly thought of as "African".

But yes the term "African American" is also problematic because it implies that you are a "recent immigrant from the continent of Africa". Which would mean that Charlize Theron, Elon Musk, and Dave Matthews, are all "African American". And most garden variety American Blacks are not recent immigrants, but are descended from people brought over as slaves over 200 years ago.

If the late Omar Sheriff had moved to the US he would have been an "African American" in the same sense that Charlize Theron is (folks forget that Egypt is technically part of the continent of Africa).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2020, 3:05 am

naturalplastic wrote:
But yes the term "African American" is also problematic because it implies that you are a "recent immigrant from the continent of Africa". Which would mean that Charlize Theron, Elon Musk, and Dave Matthews, are all "African American". And most garden variety American Blacks are not recent immigrants, but are descended from people brought over as slaves over 200 years ago.

If the late Omar Sheriff had moved to the US he would have been an "African American" in the same sense that Charlize Theron is (folks forget that Egypt is technically part of the continent of Africa).

The problem I have is when black people migrate from Africa they automatically become "African American". My understanding is black migrants are automatically "brothers" even when they want nothing to do with African Americans but Rachel Dolezal is not yet she wants to be one and has two black kids. Kind of picking and choosing.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 8:56 am

Rachel Dolezal is as African-American as David Lammy is English.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 1:44 am

Magneto wrote:

Well he certainly has been immersing himself in English culture

Jolly good show!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 2:08 am

Magneto wrote:

:?: Lammy is English isn't he?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 2:23 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Magneto wrote:

You know what magneto mean't

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 2:46 am

Magneto wrote:

He's British, but not English.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 2:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Magneto wrote:

genuinely don't.

He is saying that one is as much X as the other. Yet Lammy is English and this Dolezal lady is not African American (unless I misunderstood the story)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 4:03 am

Biscuitman wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Magneto wrote:

genuinely don't.

He is saying that one is as much X as the other. Yet Lammy is English and this Dolezal lady is not African American (unless I misunderstood the story)

No, you got the story right.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 4:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Magneto wrote:

He is English, but not of Celtic-Anglo-Saxon-Norman-Viking stock.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 4:08 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Magneto wrote:

He is English, but not of Celtic-Anglo-Saxon-Norman-Viking stock.

Technically he is Anglo-Saxonish

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 7:00 am

I'm saying that if you can be a member of an ethnic group *without actually being descended from that ethnic group*, there is no reason why Rachel Dolezal can't identify herself as African-American.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 12:06 pm

Magneto wrote:
I'm saying that if you can be a member of an ethnic group *without actually being descended from that ethnic group*, there is no reason why Rachel Dolezal can't identify herself as African-American.

No one would insist he's ethnically English though, even if he identifies as being an English national.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 12:23 pm

There is no such thing as an English national. The only nationality available in Britain is British. Not English, not Scottish, not anything else.

EDIT: I suppose someone could feel *culturally* English, just as Rachel Dolezal felt culturally African-American. Is that enough to claim membership of a group though? Most people would, I think, say no.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 3:47 pm

Don't particularly care in all honesty. I mean sociologically I guess it may be interesting.