So what do y'all think of Rachel Dolezal?

Page 15 of 15 [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 4:15 am

cyberdad wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Krug's situation is slightly different in that she faked information in some of her publications which is technically academic fraud.

She pre-empted being "outed" by firing herself from her academic post. I am not sure if further action will be taken? but would have thought she already paid a heavy price. Apparently she was very popular with many students and did inspire africam american girls to pursue higher education.

Dolezal's situation is less "unethical" and more to do with people's beliefs about transracial crossing the mythical black/white line.

I wonder what motivated these mostly women to do this.

Good question? there is a term for this it's called "blackfishing" which has been used to label Dolezal and Krug
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-46427180

But I again I don't agree with the African Americans who come up with these terms. The girls accused claim they are showing cultural appreciation and are not stealing anything. I tend to agree with the white girls here. On tik tok 90% of the white teens are dancing to hiphop and rap music because they like the music. It never made sense that if music/fashion is public then who gets to decide ownership especially if the African Americans are making money selling their clothing lines, hair braiding and music to white people who are keeping them in business? I think they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Dolezal and Krug were knowingly living a double life in terms of their identity and while Krug did commit academic fraud I do think Dolezal is actually appreciative of black culture and identity and should have been welcomed rather than be shunned (it technically goes against what Martin Luther King said about the goals of the African Americans to live in a society where they aspire not to be judged on the color of their skin.).

The only winners with making this abhorrent are white racists who always saw Dolezal and Krug as traitors and don't want their own children appreciating black culture.

This is more common than I ever knew,but why, all or at least most are women.
What is the motive for all this.
Is it the hipness and popularity of hip hop culture?
Do these these people have in born identity issues?
It is money, affirmative action?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 4:28 am

cyberdad wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Krug's situation is slightly different in that she faked information in some of her publications which is technically academic fraud.

She pre-empted being "outed" by firing herself from her academic post. I am not sure if further action will be taken? but would have thought she already paid a heavy price. Apparently she was very popular with many students and did inspire africam american girls to pursue higher education.

Dolezal's situation is less "unethical" and more to do with people's beliefs about transracial crossing the mythical black/white line.

I wonder what motivated these mostly women to do this.

Good question? there is a term for this it's called "blackfishing" which has been used to label Dolezal and Krug
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-46427180

But I again I don't agree with the African Americans who come up with these terms. The girls accused claim they are showing cultural appreciation and are not stealing anything. I tend to agree with the white girls here. On tik tok 90% of the white teens are dancing to hiphop and rap music because they like the music. It never made sense that if music/fashion is public then who gets to decide ownership especially if the African Americans are making money selling their clothing lines, hair braiding and music to white people who are keeping them in business? I think they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Dolezal and Krug were knowingly living a double life in terms of their identity and while Krug did commit academic fraud I do think Dolezal is actually appreciative of black culture and identity and should have been welcomed rather than be shunned (it technically goes against what Martin Luther King said about the goals of the African Americans to live in a society where they aspire not to be judged on the color of their skin.).

The only winners with making this abhorrent are white racists who always saw Dolezal and Krug as traitors and don't want their own children appreciating black culture.

Almost all of the people listed in the video I posted were men. But most of them lived back in the Twentieth Century. The recent folks caught doing this have been women. Maybe there is some advantage that women get from faking their race/ethnicity that men dont get from doing that these days. Something to do with "intersectionality"? Being a female, and posing as a minority gets you some kind of perk? I dunno.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 4:41 pm

She could have told the truth.
When applying for her position, she had ample opportunities to express anything and everything pertinent to joining that organization.
It has been pointed out that any ethnicity is welcomed by the group.
Therefore, she could have joined as a member, proved to herself and others what she had to offer and what she was capable of, while being honest regarding her racial identity.
Instead, she wanted something so much she lied to get it.
In any job, if there is a lie discovered on the application, the individual is ALWAYS automatically terminated, no matter how long they have worked there.
Why should this be different?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 1:08 am

vermontsavant wrote:

Honestly its hard to pin point one reason. But here's my theory.

One of the things those on the right bemoan is the "alleged" destruction of European culture and lack of appreciation of European history. In countries like American and Australia the blame is put on immigrants and media for diluting western and European values.

But the truth is that if you scratch the surface its not hard to see that younger people are hardly exposed to their roots by their own parents (that's where the blame starts). So of course they don't appreciate their actual identity other than superficial (like being white or being American). its pretty shallow and offers limited or no cultural identity.

So when exposed to other sub-cultures in America (be that Latino dance and food, transcendental meditation, bikram yoga, African-American fashion and music) all seem more vibrant and exciting than the boring old vanilla flavoured world they live in.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 3:42 pm

I can see and agree with that.
In addition, political correctness encourages that cultures other than British Isles, or European be given time and attention to try
to make up for decades (centuries?) of neglect, disparagement and derision.
Young people may see a more attractive, colorful culture than what they know of their own history.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 5:24 pm

Political correctness is not the reason why people no longer respect their cultural roots.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 9:18 pm

cyberdad wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

Honestly its hard to pin point one reason. But here's my theory.

One of the things those on the right bemoan is the "alleged" destruction of European culture and lack of appreciation of European history. In countries like American and Australia the blame is put on immigrants and media for diluting western and European values.

But the truth is that if you scratch the surface its not hard to see that younger people are hardly exposed to their roots by their own parents (that's where the blame starts). So of course they don't appreciate their actual identity other than superficial (like being white or being American). its pretty shallow and offers limited or no cultural identity.

So when exposed to other sub-cultures in America (be that Latino dance and food, transcendental meditation, bikram yoga, African-American fashion and music) all seem more vibrant and exciting than the boring old vanilla flavoured world they live in.

What drugs are you two on?

Let me get this straight. you're saying that a few years ago that it was the normal habit of all White Americans and White Australians listened to European opera, frequent museums to look at Rembrandt, and Picasso; and to read and discuss Shakespeare, and Wittgenstein; but they all suddenly stopped doing all of that when brown folks began to immigrate to those countries? :lol:

Its the fault of Central American bean pickers that we Americans have all gone lowbrow and dont consume European high culture anymore? :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 11:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Let me get this straight. you're saying that a few years ago that it was the normal habit of all White Americans and White Australians listened to European opera, frequent museums to look at Rembrandt, and Picasso; and to read and discuss Shakespeare, and Wittgenstein; but they all suddenly stopped doing all of that when brown folks began to immigrate to those countries? :lol:

Its the fault of Central American bean pickers that we Americans have all gone lowbrow and dont consume European high culture anymore? :lol:

I said its the fault of parents who choose not to teach culture or identity to their children. Your definition of culture is modern which is different to what I am talking about, I am referring to cultural history which involve traditions that are intergenerational going back to ancient roots.

I am not talking about faux culture vultures who pretend to be "connoisseurs" of high culture to keep up appearances. I am also not talking about racists who look at superficial identity markers like "whiteness". I am referring to people with strong cultural roots and a robust sense of self-identity.