So what do y'all think of Rachel Dolezal?

Page 7 of 15 [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 11:26 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Well, a second interview was conducted, on "The Today Show", and THIS one was quite different. She got-out the tears----and, what precipitated it was her saying she read about Caitlyn Jenner.

She also addressed her suing Howard University, because she felt she was discriminated against because she was white----she said she sued because they took away her scholarship and job----so, she danced-around THAT one.....

She said that SOME of what she did, could be called "creative non-fiction", and smiled.....

She said "I am not white----I don't identify as white".

She admitted to never having been to South Africa (she had said she HAD been there, in some other interview).

She admitted to NOT being born in a teepee----and added that she didn't know WHERE she was born. (How could anybody, generally speaking, NOT know where they were born, if they have a birth certificate? We KNOW she has a birth certificate cuz her parents SHOWED it!)

Like Matt Lauer said, she answers SOME things, and opens-up more questions, on OTHERS!

Actually what really surprises me is the disparity between the reactions to Jenner and Dolezal and when you really think about it, the two have a lot of similarities yet people are so quick to embrace Jenner and equally as quick to condemn Dolezal. It's quite hypocritical. If you can support Jenner yet denounce Dolezal you are just a fake blowing smoke up people's ass as far as I am concerned.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 11:38 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Actually what really surprises me is the disparity between the reactions to Jenner and Dolezal and when you really think about it, the two have a lot of similarities yet people are so quick to embrace Jenner and equally as quick to condemn Dolezal. It's quite hypocritical. If you can support Jenner yet denounce Dolezal you are just a fake blowing smoke up people's ass as far as I am concerned.

Jenner never lied.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 11:44 am

androbot01 wrote:
Jenner never lied.

You are going to have to ask her that because according to Jenner, she's been living a lie for quite a while. That is a lie in itself, living a lie, right? Jenner has felt like a woman for quite a while but has been living the life of a man. Is that or is it not a lie? This goes much deeper than someone trying putting on a disguise to bunk the system. This woman feels black inside.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 11:47 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
My car is a Volkswagen GTI, but it identifies as an Audi S3 Quattro.

LOLOLOL

What's even more incredible is the fact your car can actually identify at all!! ! Tell me, is your car named Christine?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 11:57 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Jenner never lied.

You are going to have to ask her that because according to Jenner, she's been living a lie for quite a while. That is a lie in itself, living a lie, right? Jenner has felt like a woman for quite a while but has been living the life of a man. Is that or is it not a lie? This goes much deeper than someone trying putting on a disguise to bunk the system. This woman feels black inside.

There's a difference between saying I identify as black/a woman, and saying, I am black/a woman. One is true, one is a lie. You cannot be what you are not just by saying so.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 12:02 pm

androbot01 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Jenner never lied.

There's a difference between saying I identify as black/a woman, and saying, I am black/a woman. One is true, one is a lie. You cannot be what you are not just by saying so.

So you are saying Jenner never identified as a woman even before he decided he would become one physically and if he did, was he lying?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 12:05 pm

Yes, the lie that Jenner lived was forced on him because of an intolerant society -- definitely not the same as flat-out lying about your ethnic heritage.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 12:10 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Yes, the lie that Jenner lived was forced on him because of an intolerant society -- definitely not the same as flat-out lying about your ethnic heritage.

My answer to that is: a lie is a lie. Everyone and I do mean everyone feels they have a valid reason for lying. That's why they do it. So why is it Jenner gets away with it but Dolelaz is some kind of villanis for the same act? Lying.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 12:15 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

So you are saying Jenner never identified as a woman even before he decided he would become one physically and if he did, was he lying?

No.
It is not a lie to say "I identify as x," it is a lie to say "I am x," if you are not. Has Jenner said he is a woman? He has been pretty honest about his transition.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 12:18 pm

Oh, I don't know. How about Jenner's life would have been a living hell if he'd have come out as a woman many years ago?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 12:21 pm

True.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 12:22 pm

androbot01 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

No.
It is not a lie to say "I identify as x," it is a lie to say "I am x," if you are not. Has Jenner said he is a woman? He has been pretty honest about his transition.

Seriously Jenner has NOT been honest at all. She kept it a secret for quite some time so people just whispered behind her back about it. That is not the definition of honesty is it? If you honestly believe Jenner has been honest about his transition, as in talking about it with the public the moment the transition started, then you are not being honest with yourself. People are just bias against Dolezal but her situation is similar to Jenner's and if you believe Jenner should not be condemned, you shouldn't condemn Dolezal either or it's just a fake front put on to impress people. If you disagree with Dolezal and condemn her, then you negate the fundamental issue, the truth for them both.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 12:24 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Oh, I don't know. How about Jenner's life would have been a living hell if he'd have come out as a woman many years ago?

OMG I cannot believe what I am reading. This is why Ms. Dolezal has kept her secret as well. Same fundamental issue, different packaging but their hearts are in the same place. Is it because Jenner was a man to begin with while Dolezal is a woman so she is automatically to be scorned?

If it were possible, I bet Dolezal would try to, through medical advances, transition into looking like someone who identifies as black, even though I am beginning to not believe in race. Why is it race cannot be fluid like gender? Why is it race is something that is so taboo to talk about in this fashion but gender is fine? I do not understand the condemnation based on the issue being about race and not gender. It's because we have been programmed by racism for so long. Sticking us all in our allotments lays the basic foundation for racism.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 12:33 pm

I'm not scorning the woman at all. She's free to make up whatever lies she wishes about her ethnicity. It makes no difference to me, quite frankly. However, the point I'm laboring to make is that Jenner's lie is far more understandable. Would you have had the courage to come out as he did, recently, ten years ago? How about thirty years ago?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

devin12
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jun 2015, 12:36 pm

I'm fine with her. She has her reasons. She has felt this way since she was young and she's had an interest in these subjects since she was young, even her parents said so. Maybe she has a way of going about it that people don't like, but I don't dislike her. I myself prefer to be in an ethnically diverse environment. In this way I can relate to her. I think her heart is in the right place somehow and I don't think it's for me to decide that it isn't, or judge her or her actions. She was influenced by her early feelings and from what I read she had African American siblings who she later adopted. I'm sure that had an influence. I hope her life gets better, it couldn't be fun, what she has to deal with now. I wish her the best.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 12:40 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I'm not scorning the woman at all. She's free to make up whatever lies she wishes about her ethnicity. It makes no difference to me, quite frankly. However, the point I'm laboring to make is that Jenner's lie is far more understandable. Would you have had the courage to come out as he did, recently, ten years ago? How about thirty years ago?

What if it were possible to undergo "racial reassignment" even though I hate the term "racial" at the moment because I see how it harms us. It's like Dolezal was preparing to undergo racial reassignment much like someone would if they were going from one gender to another, only because there's no advances in this area, she, by circumstance is not allowed to transition fully but would if she could. Get what I'm saying? So, like transgenders will tell people they are the gender they are transitioning into, she told people the race she would transition into if the technology was there. So it's not that different at all. She should not be condemned since she has worked hard to help others. That has been a mission of hers. People are going to put her through the ringer then tomorrow praise Jenner to the skies. I don't understand why the would behave like this. What if she had Jenner's fame and money yet no one knew she was really white and she divulged the secret? Would they still hate her?