Page 8 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 10:28 am

No place is perfect. I believe Illinois is one of the most racists states in the country, too. I live here and can have to deal with them on a daily basis.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 10:54 am

Remember back in the day when rape victims were criticized for their choice of clothes and anything less than frumpy and baggy full coverage meant she was "asking for it"?

That's what I think of when I see these cases (men and women both) where people are considered to be "asking for it" if they are anything other than meek and submissive around cops. I don't mean the arrests. Arresting is what cops are supposed to do. I mean the beatings, tasings and killings that that sometimes happen. How many happened 'off the record' before dash cams and ubiquitous cell phones? It isn't just a black problem. This happens to white people too, and hispanic (and asian? dunno). This is a cop problem. Cops are either violently escalating more or being caught more in the violent escalations they used to do unphotographed.

It does not matter that whoever this happens to was mouthy or belligerent or non-submissive or drunk. For the exact same reason that it does not matter if a rape victim was wearing sexy clothes. The police have the right to arrest people who break the law. They don't have the right to inflict a beating or tasing to get back at the person who royally pissed them off. They have a right to defend themselves. They don't have a right to do any damn thing they want and call it defense. Thank goodness for video footage so that legit self defense can be sorted out from 'you pissed me off, now I'll light you up'. Calling every single violent action they do, 'self defense' is like letting rapists off the hook so long as they say "but she was flirting with me".

Last edited by Janissy on 26 Jul 2015, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 10:56 am

VegetableMan wrote:
No place is perfect. I believe Illinois is one of the most racists states in the country, too. I live here and can have to deal with them on a daily basis.

I could never decide who was the worst racially, as well as governmentally: Illinois, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Virginia or West Virginia.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 11:05 am

The worst problems I ever had with police was in a place called Texas City. I used to some work there, usually late at night and drove an old International C-900 farm pickup. At least once a week, I would be stopped late at night when leaving the office where I was doing some work. The rest of the week, the police would usually follow me out of town as I was leaving but didn't pull me over.

One day my pickup developed a transmission problem that required a rebuild of the transmission. During the couple of weeks that it was being rebuilt, I drove a nice, recent model rental car. That entire two weeks, I wasn't hassled by the police once. When I walked out of that office and got in that car, they ignored me and didn't stop me.

Once the pickup was fixed, it was back to nightly police harassment.

The funny thing was that when I did some work at another office in Texas City in a different part of town, the police ignored me. Only when I was in that one part of town did I get any attention.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 11:55 am

eric76 wrote:
The Wall Street Journal made their list of worst states for Blacks, http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/12/09/the-worst-states-for-black-americans/3/.

Here is their list from 10th worst to worst:

10: Arkansas
9: Kansas
8: New Jersey
7: Connecticut
6: Michigan
5: Pennsylvania
4: Illinois
3: Rhode island
2: Minnesota
1: Wisconsin

Note that Texas is notably absent from this list as well.

Not that I consider and statistics, studies, and the resultant lists to be gospel but I did notice that only one state, Arkansas, is a southern state and the rest in the north.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 2:03 pm

Blacks do much better in The South:

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/edgl45gk ... anta-ga-2/

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 10:36 am

hollowmoon wrote:
eric76 wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
eric76 wrote:
What's dangerous is to be act like a diva during a traffic stop. The faster you let the officer do his job, the faster you will be on your way whether you are black or white. Show an attitude and you have only yourself to blame.

I've said it many times -- if you have no respect for others, you have no right to expect anyone else to have any respect for you.

She in no way interfered with his ability to do his job.

I strenuously object to the proposition that anything i say or do within the law gives a cop license to mistreat me.

There was no legitimate reason for this arrest.

I don't have to respect a cop and neither do you, and neither did she. I do have to obey any lawful order they give me.

There is a difference.

My understanding is that the order to get out of the car was quite lawful. She refused to get out and then fought back when he tried to get her out. I think that is plenty of grounds for an arrest.

She was stopped because she was black and that policeman is a racist. She did not "fight back", she is an unarmed woman against a grown man- even if she did she should be able to express herself without going to jail. Is this nazi germany?

I agree. What era is that cop living in. You'd hope that by now, that supremacist would have learned that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 1:00 pm

eric76 wrote:
Fugu wrote:
the cop turned around after the previous stop, proceeded to exceed the speed limit(he passes a 20mph sign while going faster than that) and then come up behind sandra in what looks like a chevy tahoe or similar sized SUV (they're about 7 feet+ at the roofline) and then sandra attempts to get out of the way. 3 days later, she's dead. are you really going to sit there and victim blame? because that's pretty disgusting.

Are you suggesting that the police should not be able to exceed the speed limits a bit to catch up with someone they observed commit a traffic infraction?

She had just run a stop sign. That's a traffic infraction in itself. I don't know why he didn't write a ticket for that as well. In any event, that is plenty of reason to pull her over.
she stopped at the stop sign, the cop was coming up fast before she's even in frame. you're claiming the cart is pushing the horse along.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 4:52 pm

Raptor wrote:
eric76 wrote:
The Wall Street Journal made their list of worst states for Blacks, http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/12/09/the-worst-states-for-black-americans/3/.

Here is their list from 10th worst to worst:

10: Arkansas
9: Kansas
8: New Jersey
7: Connecticut
6: Michigan
5: Pennsylvania
4: Illinois
3: Rhode island
2: Minnesota
1: Wisconsin

Note that Texas is notably absent from this list as well.

Not that I consider and statistics, studies, and the resultant lists to be gospel but I did notice that only one state, Arkansas, is a southern state and the rest in the north.

The Wall Street Journal is in same division now as Fox News.
Rupert Murdoch uses it as his U.S. print rag, since he bought it, it is literally becoming Fox News in print, which is a violation of his agreement when he bought it.
This is why they rarely publish anything negative about the South, same as Fox News (The South prefers the right wing conservative media outlets, the North is accused of left wing media).

The reason why Michigan is on that list, is due to the white governor and the white state legislature stripping Detroit of it's authority via a managed bankruptcy and emergency financial manager (EM).
The city government just received some of it's authority back now, but still needs state approval on lots of things including the budget.
Detroit being 80% black, they've been screaming "racism" and claiming this acts bring Michigan down to Texas level of treatment of blacks.
The black residents even filed a federal suit claiming the managed bankruptcy and EM was racially and hatefully motivated. They also claimed the rest of the state hates blacks, even though the minorities that live outside of Detroit state other wise.
In Detroit it's not unusual for the non blacks to be punished by the city while the blacks get off easy (it's always in the media here).
Hell when Mayor Duggan (He's white) first tried to get on the ballot, the blacks filed numerous suits to block him from getting on the ballot.
Then when he did win his first term, they filed numerous suits to get the results struck down claiming racism and other stupid stuff (the main black candidate came in a very distant second).
They also promised to make sure he never gets on the ballot a second time.
The circus of the last Mayoral elections in 2013, was a very sad circus of racism against Duggan.

Nearly everything bad about Michigan comes from Detroit.

Though never underestimate what a Texan will do to get there way on an issue (I have many Texan relatives here).

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 5:04 pm

Fugu wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Fugu wrote:
the cop turned around after the previous stop, proceeded to exceed the speed limit(he passes a 20mph sign while going faster than that) and then come up behind sandra in what looks like a chevy tahoe or similar sized SUV (they're about 7 feet+ at the roofline) and then sandra attempts to get out of the way. 3 days later, she's dead. are you really going to sit there and victim blame? because that's pretty disgusting.

Are you suggesting that the police should not be able to exceed the speed limits a bit to catch up with someone they observed commit a traffic infraction?

She had just run a stop sign. That's a traffic infraction in itself. I don't know why he didn't write a ticket for that as well. In any event, that is plenty of reason to pull her over.
she stopped at the stop sign, the cop was coming up fast before she's even in frame. you're claiming the cart is pushing the horse along.

The previous stop sign when she pulled from a side street onto the roadway. If you watch the video you can clearly see that she did not stop and when the trooper turns around you can clearly see the stop sign.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 8:05 pm

eric76 wrote:
Fugu wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Fugu wrote:

The previous stop sign when she pulled from a side street onto the roadway. If you watch the video you can clearly see that she did not stop and when the trooper turns around you can clearly see the stop sign.

This is all moot. The ticket had been issued when he told her to get out of her car.

At that point he was illegally detaining her, per Rodriguez v. United States. Once the initial reason for the stop was completed, lacking reasonable suspicion or probable cause, she was free to go.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 9:05 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Fugu wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Fugu wrote:

This is all moot. The ticket had been issued when he told her to get out of her car.

At that point he was illegally detaining her, per Rodriguez v. United States. Once the initial reason for the stop was completed, lacking reasonable suspicion or probable cause, she was free to go.

I don't believe it is considered "issued" until she has signed it and he has given it to her.

On a regular ticket, you have to sign the promise to appear. Refuse to sign and you go to jail for that refusal. I don't remember if you have to sign a warning ticket.

In any event, I think he was attempting to explain it to her but she was rather upset. I heard nothing on the video that resembled an explanation at all. Accordingly, the ticket was written, but can probably not be considered to have been issued.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 9:10 pm

It appears that you must sign warning tickets in Texas. (I wonder if you go to jail for refusing to sign a warning ticket.)

She clearly did not sign the ticket. Therefore, it was not issued.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 9:39 pm

eric76 wrote:
It appears that you must sign warning tickets in Texas. (I wonder if you go to jail for refusing to sign a warning ticket.)

Talk about being buried in minutia. I think you need to cut the strings.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 10:32 pm

androbot01 wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Talk about being buried in minutia. I think you need to cut the strings.

Explain, please.

blauSamstag asserted that the ticket had been issued and the traffic stop was complete at the time he told her to get out of the car. This is, of course, not true. From the police video, it is clear that he had not yet explained what he needed to explain about the warning and she had yet to sign it and take her copy.

From what was said later, it appears that she was quite furious over being stopped and was looking straight ahead, refusing to look at him at all. If that is true, then it would make it impossible for her to sign the warning ticket and end the stop.

I'm still curious what happened that prompted him to ask her to put out the cigarette.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 5:48 am

I mean that you are missing the point. Reacting with inappropriate force is not good police work. I don't know why you're talking about signing tickets; it seems to be part of your elaborate reconstruction of events and evasion of the obvious.