Page 2 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 12:54 am

blauSamstag wrote:
eric76 wrote:
I don't know the cop jargon. If she misinterpreted it as being racist, then maybe she shouldn't have been looking for excuses to be offended.

Doesn't matter - the threat, empty or not, was unlawful. A cop can't tase you just because you didn't get out of your car.

You think they can't but with cops, you are playing with fire, pretty much.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 12:55 am

I don't know if it is urban legend, but I've always been told that the police in Texas can arrest you for any traffic offense other than speeding by less than some margin.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 12:59 am

blauSamstag wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Maybe what i have to do is stand up for my rights

Before the judge is the best place to bring your reasons why you feel you shouldn't have gotten the ticket. To the cops you should just treat them like anyone treats a disgruntled customer or someone they have to deal with but don't really like - be nice, be polite, and get them to finish their business as fast as you can because cops tend to be hard to get along with anyway.
When I got stopped for my ticket I had my Miniature Doxie with me and he started barking by the open window and I immediately made sure to move him and told him to shush and stop barking because there's been situations like that which have ended badly, too. I was on the verge of a full fledged anxiety attack but I kept calm and hoped for the best.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 1:09 am

Don't get me wrong - I'm aware that in any contest to see who can be a bigger as*hole, the as*hole cop will win the first round.

And a lot of the time, he doesn't even care about the 2nd round. Might not even turn up for court, particularly if he can't get overtime pay out of it.

But there are a lot of cops out there who shouldn't be cops.

And i reject the idea that i should go along with their BS if i don't feel like it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 1:10 am

blauSamstag wrote:
Don't get me wrong - I'm aware that in any contest to see who can be a bigger as*hole, the as*hole cop will win the first round.

And a lot of the time, he doesn't even care about the 2nd round. Might not even turn up for court, particularly if he can't get overtime pay out of it.

But there are a lot of cops out there who shouldn't be cops.

And i reject the idea that i should go along with their BS if i don't feel like it.

That's your choice but it's not worth it to me. What can you do about them? On that one stretch of road I am extra careful to be sure I am going 40 or under even though it feels like I should be going faster. It's the only place I find myself speeding on a regular basis. It just feels like 50 when it's 40. Everyplace else feels in sync and everyone speeds on that stretch of road anyway. They always fly by me when I'm going 40 and I think, am I the only one who ever gets stopped on this road?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm

eric76 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Even though it is irritating I reiterate, the best way to handle the cops is to be sweet, be polite, and that goes for everyone. Yeah, it can be irritating getting stopped but it's best to just be sweet.

That would be my strategy too, but she didn't deserve to die.

There is no evidence that anyone killed her. She did it to herself.

I agree, her death by all indication was a suicide. But the fact is, this woman had had a history of suicidal thoughts, and at least one attempt, which the police were in fact aware of. Being arrested on a bogus charge would send anyone into a state of depression. That, and this poor woman was never put on suicide watch, despite the fact that it was obvious from her refusal of food that she was no longer in a right frame of mind. Yes, she killed herself, but the police were responsible for facilitating the situation in which her suicide occurred.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 3:40 pm

eric76 wrote:
I don't know the cop jargon. If she misinterpreted it as being racist, then maybe she shouldn't have been looking for excuses to be offended.
maybe you should stop defending cops that throw people in jail and let them die over a traffic stop. The way you're reaching for excuses for these thugs with badges is disgusting.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 4:56 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/23/us/sandra ... eath-main/
Sandra Bland's death ruled a suicide

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 6:03 pm

The police are still responsible. She was in their custody.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 6:17 pm

It might be a matter of her feeling doomed over the assault charge against a police officer which would be a felony if she is found guilty, that is, if the charge would have even held up. Who knows if it would have?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 7:01 pm

androbot01 wrote:

Absolutely.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 9:53 pm

androbot01 wrote:

They do bear some responsibility however, they would have been in even more trouble if cops staged her death to look a certain way. The evidence says otherwise. Still ridiculous considering all she did was not use a turn signal. I saw that so much when I was out today. Everytime I see it, I think of her and smh. I really dislike being a member of the human species sometimes. Why can't they all chill out?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 10:57 pm

"she hanged herself with a plastic trash bag, authorities said".
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/21/us/texas- ... h-explain/

I can't image hanging myself with a trash bag. I would think the bag would stretch or break.

Strange the jail is using such hefty bags.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 7:55 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
"she hanged herself with a plastic trash bag, authorities said".
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/21/us/texas- ... h-explain/

I can't image hanging myself with a trash bag. I would think the bag would stretch or break.

Strange the jail is using such hefty bags.

It's obviously the kind of plastic that doesn't tear easily. Bet they are going to change their policy concerning garbage bags.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 8:55 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

They do bear some responsibility however, they would have been in even more trouble if cops staged her death to look a certain way. The evidence says otherwise. Still ridiculous considering all she did was not use a turn signal. I saw that so much when I was out today. Everytime I see it, I think of her and smh. I really dislike being a member of the human species sometimes. Why can't they all chill out?

She wasn't there for not using a turn signal. She was there for refusing a lawful order given to her by the cop, resisting arrest, and assaulting the cop.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 8:57 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
eric76 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Even though it is irritating I reiterate, the best way to handle the cops is to be sweet, be polite, and that goes for everyone. Yeah, it can be irritating getting stopped but it's best to just be sweet.

That would be my strategy too, but she didn't deserve to die.

There is no evidence that anyone killed her. She did it to herself.

I agree, her death by all indication was a suicide. But the fact is, this woman had had a history of suicidal thoughts, and at least one attempt, which the police were in fact aware of. Being arrested on a bogus charge would send anyone into a state of depression. That, and this poor woman was never put on suicide watch, despite the fact that it was obvious from her refusal of food that she was no longer in a right frame of mind. Yes, she killed herself, but the police were responsible for facilitating the situation in which her suicide occurred.

So you are suggesting that if someone has ever had a suicidal thought, then they should be placed under suicide watch and observed carefully for the rest of their lives?