Schools Warned On Speech Services For Kids With Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 9:04 pm

http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2015/07/28/schools-warned-speech/20509/

Quote:
“Some IDEA programs may be including applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapists exclusively without including, or considering input from, speech-language pathologists and other professionals who provide different types of specific therapies that may be appropriate for children with ASD when identifying IDEA services for children with ASD,” wrote Melody Musgrove, director of the Education Department’s Office of Special Education Programs, in the guidance sent this month.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 4:02 pm

On a related note: when our daughter was given speech therapy when younger at a private clinic covered by the state, she had actually fallen backward from using full sentences to just single words and a few gestures of sign language. When my wife had to undergo a gallbladder operation, our friend (who is also our daughter's Godfather) and his then girlfriend were watching her for us. When I called close to evening to see how they were doing, my friend had expressed concern that our daughter hadn't asked for anything to eat all day. That was when I told him how our daughter would make the sign for "more" by putting her fists together. My friend said she had been doing that all day! In retrospect, I think her speech therapy was at best a mixed bag. Thankfully, she pretty well caught up in the speech department in her own time.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 7:32 pm

This is a good reason why speech therapy or ABA may not be the best solution for non-verbal autistic kids

There is a tendency to focus on deconstructed words/phrases but not any strategy to integrate these into full sentences used in context of everyday life. My daughter also tends to template what she learns and she is much better off observing people in real life having full conversations.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 11:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
This is a good reason why speech therapy or ABA may not be the best solution for non-verbal autistic kids

There is a tendency to focus on deconstructed words/phrases but not any strategy to integrate these into full sentences used in context of everyday life. My daughter also tends to template what she learns and she is much better off observing people in real life having full conversations.

This. If the goal is to increase the ability to communicate and interact to the fullest extent, rather than to create the most docile and pleasing child possible, this should be a no-brainer.