Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 9:05 pm

BBC: Stonehenge hidden monument 'a unique find'

Quote:
An international team of archaeologists has discovered a series of at least 100 standing stones buried at a site just a few kilometres from Stonehenge.
The discovery is the pinnacle of a five year project by The Stonehenge Hidden Landscapes team, which uses the latest technology to create underground maps of the area around the iconic Neolithic site.

It was an arena of sorts, I guess. Pretty neat to think that the people of that area were creating such an infrastructure at that time.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 11:35 pm

I love prehistoric European anthropology! I think it's safe to assume there's much more to the Neolithic/Bronze Age religious complex, of which Stonehenge was just a part of, than we'll ever know.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 2:02 pm

Me too! I visited stonehenge when I was 5. Don't remember much, wish I could visit again.

Washington Post

Quote:
The 100-odd stones, which were discovered using ground-penetrating radar technology, sit beneath three feet of earth and are thought to be 4,500 years old -- roughly the same age as the more famous henge down the road. The new find sits beneath a henge known as Durrington Walls, a previously discovered, younger "superhenge" thought to once be one of the largest settlements in Europe, spanning a space five times larger than Stonehenge.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 2:24 pm

Proof that there was not only a highly organized social system in place, but also that there was a fairly high population density at that time.

Peejay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2015, 4:35 pm

Awesome.
they started properly uncovering Durrington walls a few years back (it was on TV here in UK).
The whole area is covered with henges, Avebury is the best and biggest, Stonehenge gets the press as there as cross bars resting on top of 2 uprights.

Apparently they all link and are related to the rivers and water worship with long processional ways leading to the rivers.
Some of the processionals may have been linked to seasons as well as life and death. There was massive annual (seasonal/solstice) gatherings where people traveled lengthy journeys from throughout UK and EU to meet there; lots of evidence of celebration and feasting year after year lots of pig bones like BBQs