rowan county [KY] court clerk defies supreme court

Page 2 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 12:08 am

blauSamstag wrote:
I hear that the japanese have a saying that goes something like, "Big poop. Little bowl."

:lol: the French have one also, "elle pète plus haut que son cul." ["she farts higher than her ass"]

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Sep 2015, 12:32 pm

Found in contempt of court (no surprise there) and placed into custody.

What a bloody hypocrite. Good riddance.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 3:04 pm

Maybe her God will free her

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 3:24 pm

I hope they keep her in jail until kingdom come! :wink:

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 4:57 pm

Why does it always seem that the biggest hypocrites are the staunchest Bible thumpers?

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 5:15 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Why does it always seem that the biggest hypocrites are the staunchest Bible thumpers?

Cause they are born again!

Those who have been faithful from the get go tend to be more accepting and uphold what they preach.

Also this woman makes ~$80,000 with benefits doing this job.
She is gathering support from across the nation, which many have started gathering outside the courthouse/jail

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 5:17 pm

I'm beginning to think that the various crowdfunding things helping her are morally bankrupt. but she can stay in the clink until the sun novas out for all I care.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 5:20 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I'm beginning to think that the various crowdfunding things helping her are morally bankrupt. but she can stay in the clink until the sun novas out for all I care.

They probably are just overzealous types who need to take up the cause to defend their perception of reality.

They are literally picketing outside of the courthouse to get her freed.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 5:41 pm

she's making herself a martyr for her own cause. how noble. :roll: she hates gays so much that she would rather be in the pokey until hell freezes over.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 8:21 pm

Wow, I actually wasn't expecting a jail sentence to be handed out so quickly. I thought she'd be fined first; even the plaintiffs were only seeking a fine. That said, I can understand Judge Bunning's reasoning. Davis made it clear that, fine or no fine, she would continue to not carry out her duties in compliance with federal law. The only choice left for the judge was to remove Davis from her office until she agreed to do her job or resign. It's fine for people to have sincerely held religious beliefs, even while holding office; it's another thing entirely to use those beliefs to justify not doing your job as a government official, at taxpayers' expense. Either do your job or step down.

I also read – on the Fox News website, no less – that the other clerks in the marriage office were made to declare whether or not they would give marriage licences to same-sex couples. All but one agreed to do it, with the sole holdout being Davis' son who also works in the office. The judge said that this was acceptable and even offered to spare Davis from jail if she agreed not to get in the way of allowing the other clerks to sign those licences, but she declined his offer.

There's speculation that the Kentucky state legislature might consider legislation allowing clerks to opt out of signing marriage licences for same-sex couples, when it reconvenes next year (which is weird, since it's only September now). If Kentucky goes down that route, hopefully they include a provision that another clerk in the same office must be available to sign those licences.

On another note, a lot of people have been criticising her for religious views on marriage in light of her previous divorces. If they happened while she was a practicing Christian, then I'd call her hypocritical. But since they all happened before her conversion to Christianity, I myself wouldn't call her religious views on marriage hypocritical. People have the right to change their beliefs over time: that's how SSM went from majority opposition to majority support in countries like the US within a mere 10 years.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 9:35 pm

Murihiku wrote:
On another note, a lot of people have been criticising her for religious views on marriage in light of her previous divorces. If they happened while she was a practicing Christian, then I'd call her hypocritical. But since they all happened before her conversion to Christianity, I myself wouldn't call her religious views on marriage hypocritical. People have the right to change their beliefs over time: that's how SSM went from majority opposition to majority support in countries like the US within a mere 10 years.

another aspect of her hypocrisy is her saying marriage is ok for her and her ilk but not for anybody else, 'cept for the odd transgender couple ;)

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 9:57 pm

Murihiku wrote:
Wow, I actually wasn't expecting a jail sentence to be handed out so quickly. I thought she'd be fined first; even the plaintiffs were only seeking a fine. That said, I can understand Judge Bunning's reasoning. Davis made it clear that, fine or no fine, she would continue to not carry out her duties in compliance with federal law. The only choice left for the judge was to remove Davis from her office until she agreed to do her job or resign. It's fine for people to have sincerely held religious beliefs, even while holding office; it's another thing entirely to use those beliefs to justify not doing your job as a government official, at taxpayers' expense. Either do your job or step down.

It's not a sentence per se. It's coercion. But she could be in prison for a year or so before a compelling argument could be made that it's not working.

Quote:
I also read – on the Fox News website, no less – that the other clerks in the marriage office were made to declare whether or not they would give marriage licences to same-sex couples. All but one agreed to do it, with the sole holdout being Davis' son who also works in the office. The judge said that this was acceptable and even offered to spare Davis from jail if she agreed not to get in the way of allowing the other clerks to sign those licences, but she declined his offer.

Correct, and they may join her in custody if they don't comply.

Quote:
There's speculation that the Kentucky state legislature might consider legislation allowing clerks to opt out of signing marriage licences for same-sex couples, when it reconvenes next year (which is weird, since it's only September now). If Kentucky goes down that route, hopefully they include a provision that another clerk in the same office must be available to sign those licences.

Not having someone on hand to sign them might be construed as unconstitutional.

Quote:

I've mocked her for that, sure.

But if she is a practicing christian now, she has a very selective reading of the bible.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 10:19 pm

Not Even the Bible Can Protect Kim Davis. Here's Why.

Her oath of office is pretty clear, and it's pretty clear that she broke it.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2015, 11:12 pm

A different take on things:

Quote:
In America, we have a city council in Denver that advocates shutting down a business such as Chick-fil-A because the CEO once took a public position against gay marriage. In this country, people who are here illegally can march in the streets to protest their station without any genuine fear of being rounded up and expelled. They are celebrated. Moreover, we have cities across this country that ignore immigration laws they don't like and create sanctuaries from law. We have cities that ignore federal drug laws because they find them oppressive. Yet no one finds himself in jail. When Californians approved Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage, a number of officials refused to enforce the law. They were celebrated. I may even agree with the impulse. But not one elected official has been hauled off to jail for any of these stands.

Yet a Christian struggling to come to terms with the implications of a decision that the Supreme Court reached only a couple of months ago—and our progressive president embraced only a couple of years ago—is hauled off to jail. In the end, the state is creating martyrs. Christians will have no choice but to take more obstinate positions in these battles of the culture war—battles that could easily have been avoided if a judge had exhibited more compassion and come to an accommodation. There are about 125 other marriage clerks in Kentucky who can issue licenses to gay couples. And they should.

https://reason.com/archives/2015/09/04/ ... ed-when-it

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 8:55 am

^ I suppose that's like the state attorneys-general in the US who refused to defend state prohibitions on same-sex marriage when they were challenged in federal courts. One could argue that their refusals amounted to the same kind of dereliction of duty that Karen Davis was convicted for. In some of those states legislators were allowed to defend such bans when their attorney-general wouldn't. But California's attorney-general refused to defend Prop 8 in federal court, and the US Supreme Court later ruled that none of the people who subsequently stepped in to defend Prop 8 had legal standing to do so – which led to Prop 8 being overturned.

Were they allowed to refuse to defend their own state's laws? I don't know enough about US law to decide for myself. That Karen Davis broke the law is clear, from the lawsuits that were filed in federal court. Perhaps that's the best way to decide.

This bit OTOH ...

Quote:
Christians will have no choice but to take more obstinate positions in these battles of the culture war—battles that could easily have been avoided if a judge had exhibited more compassion and come to an accommodation. There are about 125 other marriage clerks in Kentucky who can issue licenses to gay couples. And they should.

The judge did try to come to an accommodation: he offered to spare Davis from jail if she agreed not to hinder her deputy clerks from issuing licences to same-sex couples. Davis refused, and then all the judge could do was enforce the law. In Kentucky, it's the state legislature's job to provide such accommodation to objecting clerks. If they go down this route, hopefully they'll also require that another clerk is available in that office to issue licences to same-sex couples; I'd hate to see US government offices start telling people "we don't serve your kind here".

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Peejay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2015, 9:13 am

What a gal, an absolute martyr... bet shes lovin all the attention.

As Jeebus would say: "love* thy neighbour".....

NB. terms and conditions apply please read the small print:
please note that the word *LOVE is open to interpretation, manipulation, exception, tradition, and hypocrisy.

Christians: Maintaining the moral high ground whilst reinterpreting the Bible for millenia......
All in the name of Godly tolerance ..... Bless `em