i can't believe this crap is still happening today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 6:45 pm

I never had that problem in school, but when I was five and learning to play soccer the coach scolded me for using my left foot as opposed to my right. It's been a long time but I do remember him saying something about demons, lol-- thanks for the bad flashback auntblabby!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 6:46 pm

they tried that with me also. didn't work. then they settled on making me change the way I wrote/held a pen. that stuck.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 6:47 pm

Interestingly, the part of the letter they show contains only facts. Sinister is well known to come from the Latin word for 'left', which most Romance languages, if not all, quickly got rid of with its original meaning, because it had already acquired the bad associations which eventually became its modern sense.

And this is no excuse to insult and punish a left-handed kid, but I guess it makes you look so full of authority and big reasons that you have better things to do than explain them to mere mortals, such as the one you're punishing.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 6:56 pm

if this teacher had been in seattle, I believe there would have been a much different outcome.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 12:15 am

auntblabby wrote:
if this teacher had been in seattle, I believe there would have been a much different outcome.

Even here in the Spokane area I have no doubt things would have been different. You know how they say how different cultures are not really equal? Well, guess what, that also applies to regional cultures here in the USA.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 12:20 am

why can't okla get with the 21st century? it's not really hard at all, all they gotta do is live and let live. :scratch:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 12:59 am

auntblabby wrote:
why can't okla get with the 21st century? it's not really hard at all, all they gotta do is live and let live. :scratch:

Probably waiting for Texas to go first.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 1:35 am

^^^^ :lol: either that or waiting for the rapture.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 1:36 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Probably waiting for Texas to go first.

...they're practically the same state culturally...no offense auntblabby.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 1:46 am

yeh, both run by fundies

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 1:56 am

My mother was a lefty. She's still alive but throughout elementary school the Christian teachers forced and shamed her into hiding it. Because, you see...being left handed meant you were further from Grace (b/c apparently God was right handed). And choosing to not fight it was a Sin.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 2:05 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^^ :lol: either that or waiting for the rapture.

If that's the case... well, bye.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 2:10 am

Edenthiel wrote:
My mother was a lefty. She's still alive but throughout elementary school the Christian teachers forced and shamed her into hiding it. Because, you see...being left handed meant you were further from Grace (b/c apparently God was right handed). And choosing to not fight it was a Sin.

Yep, that's the tyranny of the majority for ya. Jokes on them, with global warming we're all gonna be living in hell sometime in the near future so I choose to stay left-handed until we get there. How about Satan, is he a lefty too? Maybe that explains why I always had a fascination with him...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 6:22 am

The whole district is living in 1955 not 2015. By the time I entered elementary school in the 1960's this crap was over. 10 years earlier they were hitting kids with rulers on the left hand if they used it. Even in conservative Oklahama I expect a strong enough negative reaction to force the district against their will to move into the 1960's.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman