Page 4 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 8:44 pm

I was comparing it to fracking, which does release Methane and many other things, which profits a few for a short time, and leaves the problems for an endless future.

Fracking, Solar, Coal, Wind, Oil, profit Capitalists at the expense of everyone else.

There are a lot of deserts suitable for Solar. Wind makes constant sound and kills birds.

If you notice we have excess oil, we always have.

Wind and Solar are sold by fear, then subsidized by government, they were not profitable when oil was over a hundred a barrel.

This sounds like some Clinton Gore Coal Company getting money from Obama, because it is green.

It does not make economic sense in the current market.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 11:39 pm

Just because solar energy produces no radioactivity doesn't mean it can't be shrewdly blamed for being nuclear in nature, thus making its proponents look like hypocrites.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 7:09 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Just because solar energy produces no radioactivity doesn't mean it can't be shrewdly blamed for being nuclear in nature, thus making its proponents look like hypocrites.
Just because cats don't earn university degrees doesn't mean they can't shrewdly be blamed for running the Illuminati, thus making their owners look like clueless pawns.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 10:00 am

Spiderpig wrote:

Ummm...yeeeees.

And you could be "shrewdly blamed" for killing the Lindbergh Baby.

But that's also a non seguitur.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 10:19 am

Not really. There's no evidence that cats run the Illuminati or that I killed the Lindbergh Baby, but the Sun is known to emit radiation due to nuclear fusion. Then again, I wouldn't be very surprised if someone shrewdly denied this, too.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 11:06 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Not really. There's no evidence that cats run the Illuminati or that I killed the Lindbergh Baby, but the Sun is known to emit radiation due to nuclear fusion. Then again, I wouldn't be very surprised if someone shrewdly denied this, too.

So this is your point:

You proudly proclaim that you are lying, but you're afraid that someone else will lie in retaliation.

You are saying that "I will make the following argument: that solar power comes from the sun, and that because the sun is powered by hydrogen fusion it is a nuclear powered. Therefore solar power is really nuclear power."

That much is true.

But then you make the leap "therefore using solar panels is no different than using power from a nuclear reactor".

You admit that that arguement is nonsense (using solar panels does not create radioactive waste).

But your point is that "despite the fact that its nonsense I am using it as an argument anyway".

Have I gotten your point right so far?

The trouble is that they dont have to lie in retaliation. They can just tell the truth-that using solar panels doesnt generate nuclear waste- so on a practical level it is not the same thing. No one has to deny that the Sun is fusion powered.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 11:23 am

I cant tell whether you're being serious, or being tongue-in-cheek, but either way it doesnt work.

If you were joking then you needed to state it better to work as a joke.

You could point out that "anyone who some much as lifts a drink while sitting at bar is using nuclear power. you're using human muscle power to lift the drink. Human muscle power is fueled by eating food. Food is either the flesh of animals who ate plants, or comes directly from plants. Plants are fueled by photosynthesis (get energy from the sun). The Sun is powered by nuclear fusion. Therefore bending your elbow to lift a drink is using nuclear power. Therefore getting hammered in a bar is the same thing as getting electricity from a nuclear power plant."

Pure sophistry-but atleast I followed through to actually make the point.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 4:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I cant tell whether you're being serious, or being tongue-in-cheek, but either way it doesnt work.

If you were joking then you needed to state it better to work as a joke.

I'm sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, but what I meant was much simpler than you're giving it credit for. I thought pointing out the fallacious nature of the argument I mentioned would be enough to make it clear that I don't actually endorse it, rather than imply that weird, "this is blatant nonsense, but I'm using it as an argument anyway" position.

My point is simply what I said: that solar power is vulnerable to that kind of attack. Those making the attack don't need to admit it's fallacious, or even be aware of it, though doing so might even give them extra points in the eyes of science haters. At the end of the day, politics isn't exactly known as a field where reason tends to win.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 6:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
Just because cats don't earn university degrees doesn't mean they can't shrewdly be blamed for running the Illuminati, thus making their owners look like clueless pawns.

Wait; if cats run the Illuminati, who are the puppetmasters behind the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 7:43 pm

So, let me get this straight ...

People are afraid that solar cells emit cancer-causing radiation because light from the sun is created by an ongoing nuclear fusion reaction.

Are they also afraid that they will get black-lung disease from air-conditioners that use electricity that is generated by coal-fired power plants?

:roll: What fools these mortals be ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 7:57 pm

Yes! Finally some understanding!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 8:08 pm

:wall:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 8:43 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:

Wait; if cats run the Illuminati, who are the puppetmasters behind the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith?

The local university gives courses on cable TV. In one installment of the "History of Western Civilization" the professor mentioned that there was an 18th Century German prince who had a whole palace stocked with 150 harpsichords, and spinets, for "exclusive use by his cats".

Apparently the cats of the World have never forgiven us for taking away their harpsichords, and spinets, and thats why they started the Illumanatti.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 12:14 pm

But seriously...we need to cut down all trees, and pull up all plants on earth, because we all know that plant leaves are "natural solar cells" that are "sucking" all of the energy out of the Sun! :lol:

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 5:30 pm

^^ LOL

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 7:47 pm

Yeah! Gotta be tough on tree huggers---destroy all vegetation on Earth so they know they're never having their way!